iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling trees for firewood [VIDEO]

Started by Allar, February 27, 2019, 04:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allar

Just doing what i love  8)

Felling trees for firewood and burning branches! ðŸ"¥ðŸŒ³ - YouTube

Looking at the dead trees on my forest, it sure does look like im losing the battle against spruce beetles.  :'(

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

lxskllr

I didn't think you used wedges! Where's your felling lever?

Allar

Quote from: lxskllr on February 27, 2019, 07:22:18 PM
I didn't think you used wedges! Where's your felling lever?
To be honest, i tend to use wedges more often than felling lever but it really depends on trees and on my mood ;)
And i like to use my swedish Husqvarna hatchet, having short handle and heavy head makes it perfect for pounding wedges.

Old Greenhorn

Man, I could fell those nice little firewood trees all day long! Nice and straight, just have to worry about a little dead fall and hangers, but they go quick. I too like the wedges better and I use a hand ax similar to yours with a heavy head and short handle that my Dad rebuilt 40 years ago. It was his favorite camp ax and works great for wedge driving, though he never used it for that.
 Nice pole pile!
 Do you worry about that fire 'getting away' form you? I would like to do this and clean as i go, but the risk is too high, so burning slash is a separate task, with some sort of water supply handy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Allar

It is a joy to fell trees like that.

I don't worry about fire getting away, because it has nowhere to go, the whole forest floor is covered with snow, so there's no real hazard.
If i have a open spot with no trees around, i'll make a huge pile and set it on fire later on.
But if i have trees around and i can't make a huge fire without damaging the surrounding trees, i start with a small pile and let it burn and slowly keep adding more branches.

We have burned branches during summer a few times and it is such a stressful thing to do. Never in my life would i do it again.

wild262

Looks like a log cabin builders paradise there!  Long, tall, straight, and not many limbs.  Would have loved to have had tree's like that when I built my cabin back in the 80's.  That's a loggers dream there.  I like to cut in late winter/early spring better than any other time.  No ticks, low humidity, no leafed poisen vines, and cooler running on the saw.  Perfect!

Allar

I cry inside whenever i cut em for firewood, especially the big ones :'(
But i can't afford a sawmill  :-\

The trees are dying and i need to take them down asap to slow down spruce beetles. And if i leave a dry spruce uncut for too long it'll rot and can't be used for firewood.

sablatnic

Quote from: Allar on February 27, 2019, 04:02:45 PM

Looking at the dead trees on my forest, it sure does look like im losing the battle against spruce beetles.  :'(

Spruce beetles - got them in Denmark too. :-(

thecfarm

Before I got a OWB I use to have some "brush" fires. Sometimes they would still be burning after 5 days.  :o  Would be a lot of big wood in it. I would have a pile of coals about 3 feet high and it would burn through that. Now I have a place to get rid of my dead wood,I burn it for heat. My land does not grow fir good. Seems to get about 6 inches through and falls over. If it dies get bigger,it's very rotted in the middle. Than some of the white pine 18-24 inches across will die,more firewood. I would need to get a burn permit when I burn. Very simple to get,when snow is on the ground,it's no problem. Summer time it can be hard because it can be dry. I know when to ask and when not too. I don't need to burn down my forest and other forests too. Most times I come to a fir and I cut it down. I want something else to grow. I did have 2-3 acres that has some nice good size fir. But the other 147 acres,it don't grow good at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!