The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Cookies?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Hoopty5.0

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Cookies?
« on: October 15, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
I'm on the hunt for projects to make/sell to get my slush fund going again. I keep getting asked for cookie cuts. Seems like a waste of good material to me, but if the demand is there do I cut them?

For you guys that sell cookies, is it worth the trouble to cut and dry them?

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Cookies?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
it is not that hard to cut them, drying can be problematic.  I never cut a straight grained beauty of a log into cookies, but something to do with less perfect logs.  It depends on you goals.  if it is to make money for a living or for beer, then you care less what people do with the wood.  It is a novelty market, so you could have them on hand, or cut them when needed.  A real crooked log makes some very interesting (rustic) cookies.  It is great for a log that may only be 30 inches long.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Dana Stanley

• For fun and profit!
    • Share Post
    • Stanley Carpentry Construction
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
Some times you need 8' boards and you have 10' logs. That gives you stock for cookies.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
some want them raw, some may want them dried but the big thing now is for wedding center pieces with a mason jar vase.  i have made things to sign in guests and carry the flowers and rings.

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
   By all means cut them for anyone who wants them. As to stocking them... How much space do you have to store them? Most will crack. I painted some on both sides with anchorseal and that helped but then the customers don't like the wax on their cookie and I could seal both ends of a saw log with the same amount of anchorseal as one cookie. I'd take a sample to let the local florists and let them know you can produce them. I sold an order like this a couple weeks back. 

Other products you might consider trying are primitive mortise and tenon benches 8/4 boards or live edge slabs, custom crates for canning jars, produce, etc using thin narrow strips of wood as sides and/or bottoms, etc. Good luck.

This a sample of the benches I am talking about.

Sample crate
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »
For you guys that sell cookies, is it worth the trouble to cut and dry them?
Yes. The demand is there, though infrequent. I've already been paid $100 for one hour of sawmill time, for a customer who wanted wedding cookies cut from their log. These were fresh cut a couple days before the wedding, to reduce cracking. Drying cookies its usually 50-50 chance whether they will crack.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
I sell a good many of them.  I sold 22 yesterday about 9" in diameter.  Crooked cherry log that Hurricane Michael blew down 1 year ago.  At $5 each, $110 total, that 10 minutes of sawing time was a very good payout. 

Most will crack.  One tip to minimize cracking is to use logs that have aged for a good while and that were stacked off the ground.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
+1 on cookies for quick profit.  Cookies produce the highest pay for the least amount of work.  As mentioned above I use cutoff logs, small logs and limbs for cookies.   I haven't measured but I'm guessing it possible to cut over a hundred in an hour.  At $8 per 10-12" cookie.....

I sell them on occasion to wedding planners, florists, wedding venues and fathers/mothers of the brides.  A Facebook Market Place ad works best to advertise the service.  Sometimes have portable sawing customers who ask what to do with limbs, I suggest cookies. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
Hoopty,

Please update your profile to show your equipment. I don't know what kind of mill you have. I have seen all kind of jigs and such shown here where people would clamp and saw several logs into cookies at at time. Some people drilled them into boards to hold them. I have the WM 2 plane clamp and I find the quickest way for me to cut them is to set about a 3' long log upright on the lip of the clamp and tighten. It works a lot easier if I have a helper to just hold the log up till I get it tightened. If I were doing a lot I'd fabricate something and maybe bugee cord the log upright till tight. Once tight you just take the top cut off to square it up then drop, cut, drop, cut, etc till done. Only takes seconds per cookie. On my mill that leaves about a 3-4 inch cookie at the bottom.

If you cut the bottom of log off at a 45 degree angle and clamp it at that angle you end up cutting ovals which have a different look and are actually less likely to crack than cookies. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
 Ovals make good clocks also. Router a pocket add a $1. clock works an put a $ ? price tag on.
Ed K

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
   Just adding the hole is likely to help reduce the chance of cracking. I have cut several "donuts" with soft or hollow centers that held up very well without cracking. The hole evidently relieves the pressure. I may cut a batch and take out the centers with a spade bit or hole saw and just see how they hold up.
Howard Green

Offline Toolthedieguy

• Looking to learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
Hey all,
 A quick question about a cookie pith. I'm router planning a 3" ash cookie and the pith came loose. I know some people like this to fill later, but I'd like to keep it in there for the option later. I cut 2 3" cookies from a 8.5" cut off, dried in a log pile, a.k.a poorly. The pith is still in spot but it moves loosely. Clearer in 2nd pic.

Question is can a get some wood glue or epoxy sub surface to hold in place and not interfere with final epoxy fill? Or is this a exercise in futility and likely to pop out later no matter what you do?

Thanks
T

PS, what is good terminology cookie, cut-off, wafer, and also slab or flitch. Probably should have started new tread but this is only a side question.  
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound. Hell yeah if I'm nearby with my chainsaw

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
   Don't call them a flitch - that is an unedged board. A slab is the first cut off a log - round on one side, flat on the other although the term is also often used for thicker, live edge "flitches". Non-sawyers don't know what a flitch is. If you want anyone here on the forum to reply and know what you are talking about call them a cookie. It is all I have ever heard them called although when they are hollow like the one in your picture I do call mine a donut. :D
Howard Green

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
you can do almost anything with epoxy @tule peak timber .  you can glue it as well, but if you plan to epoxy, I would keep the chemicals in the same family.  you could even epoxy first and fill, then mill it second.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
Epoxy resin will hold that rock solid. Glue will look pretty messy, I think. As Doc said, you can machine, plane, and sand it after resin. Glue is not as strong and if you fill it with glue it would take a week to dry methinks.
 OTOH, knock out the pitch and replace it with something cool like a rock, or a light, or a $50 dollar bill, then resin fill it. I might try one like that now that I think about it. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
   If you are going to put a $50 bill in there let me write you a check for it then you can epoxy the check in there instead. :D :D :D
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
@WV Sawmiller I don't know if a check would have the same effect. Besides, the point was, put something interesting in the void, like an old wedding ring or bottle caps or a rabbits foot, a handful of grits or even a chicken foot. It don't need to have any value. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 04:40:41 PM »
A glass eye would be good there. And interesting. Maybe a little creepy. But interesting.  :D smiley_headscratch
HM126

Offline Toolthedieguy

• Looking to learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
How about an ash leaf.  

Thanks for the help guys

T
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound. Hell yeah if I'm nearby with my chainsaw

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »
or even a chicken foot

So now I know who stole my chicken feet, but you didn't get da head.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

exclamation
Cookies!

Started by Patty on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

9 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 12:26:17 AM
by beenthere
xx
Log cookies

Started by fishfighter on Sawmills and Milling

48 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 04:57:06 PM
by Jim_Rogers