iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookies?

Started by Hoopty5.0, October 15, 2019, 12:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I cut cherry cookies for a wedding and used the denatured alcohol trick with no such luck. Cracks as usual. The wedding was called off. ;D Seriously, it was, but not due to the bad cookies.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tule peak timber

I thought about the vacuum, but worried about the explosive mix being pumped out-yikes.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

I was half joking, but I would pull a vacuum, then let the vacuum pull in the alcohol to go into the wood.  vacumm alone would boil the water at room temp as I am sure you know.  I watched a you tube on making foe gems from some twigs from bushes and dyed and then resin impregnated.  ground into jewelry.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hoopty5.0

Lots of good and ...interesting pictures... in here, thanks all!

Sorry I've been quiet, had some medical stuff with the family last week I had to tend to.

doc henderson

Stabilising wood using thermocure resin in a vacuum chamber - YouTube

have not yet found the original I watched prob. 10 years ago.  use vacuum to dye the wood, then resin impregnate it and make a gem.  it would be a challenge to build a chamber for a 4 foot cookie.  you can see the air pulled from the wood, then resin goes in when vacuum released.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2019, 08:36:03 AMI have never eaten a pig ear, pig foot, pig lips, nor pig tail.

You've never had a hotdog?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

I have no idea how denatured alcohol and acetone compare in terms of removing water from cookies but I do know that if given the option I'd much rather work with the alcohol. I swear I can feel my brain cells melting when I inhale acetone and I'm pretty sure it's able to penetrate your skin to some extent as well (not necessarily causing burning or anything but it can't be good). It also evaporates much quicker.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

KnottHeadcustom

Any of you guy's that know and follow us on IG, YT & FB know that we cut thousands of cookies every year for table decor, wall decor and people get them from us to make both small and large tables out of them... By all means as a way to make money we are going to continue to cut them things... They sell pretty well in our area for decorations and I'm one of the only local places to get them... We even set up to do them 400 at a time when they are small dia... and most of the time we cut them out of logs that would otherwise not yield much in the way of slabs or straight lumber... 

This video shows how we go thru the process of cutting a rather big batch at once and in a hurry  ;D

DIY Cookie wall cutting on WoodMizer LT15 Wide Head sawmill, Cypress Cookies for wall decorations - YouTube

doc henderson

not cookies but found what i was trying to describe.  looks right up your alley @tule peak timber 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-g1ZN-A1Wo

Long link fixed by admin

tule peak timber

Two years ago I posted the fabrication of cookies made from grape vines. Similar idea.

tule peak timber

Quote from: KnottHeadcustom on October 29, 2019, 02:22:59 PM
Any of you guy's that know and follow us on IG, YT & FB know that we cut thousands of cookies every year for table decor, wall decor and people get them from us to make both small and large tables out of them... By all means as a way to make money we are going to continue to cut them things... They sell pretty well in our area for decorations and I'm one of the only local places to get them... We even set up to do them 400 at a time when they are small dia... and most of the time we cut them out of logs that would otherwise not yield much in the way of slabs or straight lumber...

This video shows how we go thru the process of cutting a rather big batch at once and in a hurry  ;D

DIY Cookie wall cutting on WoodMizer LT15 Wide Head sawmill, Cypress Cookies for wall decorations - YouTube
We cut the same way !

doc henderson

that is cool!  i am sure I missed it, cause I thought/think it is neat idea.  this is where I got the vacuum ideas.  thanks for fixing my link admin.!

tule peak timber

Wall treatment cedar cookies.

Nebraska

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 29, 2019, 08:50:32 AM
To the above comments, I'm going to build a box and glass the inside with a gasket lid to keep the fumes in.This is really getting me thinking on the potential use down the road.
Never had the chance to experience a still in operation, but I did have some formal training in petroleum cracking as it relates to spill cleanup.
 Best to keep me away from a still,,,,,as there would be no profit left ;D
I saw this and thought you might be able to find a second hand aquarium and create one easy enough. Maybe one of those big plexiglass  saltwater jobs. I can remember the name of the TV show where they built monster sized tanks. You  could do lots of stuff with one if tough enough and sealed enough to hold negative pressure. Just a thought...

doc henderson

round is often used I think so it applies force equal in all directions, and I think alcohol will dissolve silicone adhesive, acetone is the antidote for superglue. so do not superglue your eye lids closed, cause then they have to just be separated with Vaseline on a q tip, ;)

tule peak timber

Yes, very good thought.I need to do calcs on the number of gallons going into this. 4 foot diameter stumps.....

Thank You Sponsors!