iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nooby needs advice to cut triple trunk tree

Started by woodfire, November 01, 2019, 07:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodfire

Thought I would ask for advice on the best way to cut this tree down. I'm not a logger by any means just have to heat the home with wood
I'm not sure what type of maple it is but the top branches died two years ago and new growth came out last year and this year from lower third of tree.
one of the large branches came down last night in the storm and fortunately landed in from field rather than on house.
its time for this tree to come down
at the base its at least 30" diameter
I have a 20" bar on ms261

doc henderson

I would cut off the L branch and let it fall, then could whittle down the trunk, and then fell the rest of the tree. assuming from your pic.it will fall to the R or away from structures.  this will help size the tree to the bar, and help you judge which way to expect things to fall.  newby is a relative term, and if you have little chainsaw experience, look for a mentor.  be safe!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

woodfire

thanks doc, 
so I notch the l and plunge cut to get it to fall
I've cut pretty good size ash doubles that way, going at one at a time,
this tree is just a couple feet from a 20' cliff that drops down to a creek at edge of front pasture.
the house is about 20' to left 

lxskllr

I was with doc until you mentioned the house 20' left. Will that left most trunk clear the house if you fall it in that direction? If that's fine, depending on your comfort level cutting larger than your bar, high stumping the remaining two together might be within your bar diameter, or at least closer to it.

woodfire

the left most trunk I can get to fall away from house. once that is out of the way the other two won't be difficult to get down the cliff.
I've got an 044 with 25" bar but it doesn't want to run this year
might be time for a carb kit and new top end

doc henderson

do you have equipment to drag, you could cable the tree/log to the trunk, so it cannot slide all the way down.  pics only give a little info, so use good judgement in real time.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ed_K

Doc's #5 reply is a great idea if that cliff is real deep.
Ed K

doc henderson

so trying to get the big picture.  the problem if you cannot fall the branch strait away from the tree is the upper portion getting caught and hanging up, or altering the fall path and having it damage you or your house.  you could have a pull rope to encourage the proper direction, but any vigorous pulls could jar the dead wood high up in the tree.  any more info or pictures?

Skeans1

That double sure has a nice seam with a twist down to the root it looks like from the pictures. 

How much experience do you have falling timber?

gspren

Get that 044 running! The 044 and 261 make a great team.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

donbj

Be extremely careful working under trees with dead tops. It doesn't take much to knock something off at times.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

mike_belben

Get your old football helmet out.  Even pros are killed by one good conk on the head.  Jeff lawson logged his whole life.  Died this year, limb to the skull. 
Praise The Lord

jd540b

No offense meant but if you are asking for advice online about cutting trees...my advice is to get someone else to cut it that has experience and is comfortable with it.
Just my 2cents.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: jd540b on November 03, 2019, 04:45:03 PM
No offense meant but if you are asking for advice online about cutting trees...my advice is to get someone else to cut it that has experience and is comfortable with it.
Just my 2cents.

The best way. from jd540b

If not I would cut it 6" off the ground. Drop the whole tree at a time.
Liming will get you killed. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Oddman

Gary_C

Be advised that so far all the advice you have been getting is from blind men. Yes, unless a person can see all around that multi stemmed tree, we are all blind and I would never get a saw near that tree without having  look around. After you look around, look up.

So take the advice with a grain of salt for that is about what it's worth. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodfire

thanks for all the advice
when I cut these dead trees with widow makers hanging I always get a helper that can call ambulance just in case, I'm pretty far from civilization here in the smokies, but we get a cell signal down the road. I use tractors , cables and chains to drag in the trees. I do have a long rope. when helper comes over later this week, maybe I'll try to tackle this one.
I will be sure to get my hardhat off the fuel tank and put it on
I cut down a 100'+ hickory double yesterday no problem. I'm just trying to gain experience with safety first in mind.
this is my fifth year on this property and wood is only source of heat. 

donbj

"when I cut these dead trees with widow makers hanging I always get a helper that can call ambulance just in case"

You're kidding, right? If it arrives without sirens sounding, then what?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!