iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer mark cause?

Started by SoftWood, January 28, 2023, 12:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoftWood

I am getting marks predominately on one side of my 20" helical planer. They don't seem to be patterned like it's a certain few teeth, I replaced the teeth just to be sure it wasn't tearing out or dull teeth but it made no difference.  Planer has 2 speeds but either one doesn't make any difference.
Doesn't show on camera but the marks are actually a little deeper than the surrounding wood, you can feel them with your finger, like they are little gouges.  More visible on the darker wood, can see the difference between these boards run on opposite sides of the planer.
Any ideas?  

doc henderson

I cannot see them, but see if the pattern fits a drive roller.  you may need to adjust the down pressure.  I get it if I take too small a pass sometimes.  see you manual for the adjustment.  just a thought.  again, see if the lead roller has a serration or something that looks the same.  so if you run the one with marks on the other side, the marks go away?  is it the light marks I can see on the darker wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SoftWood

I do get the same marks you are talking about from the feed roller if I take too light of a pass, this definitely isn't the same. 
Yes it is the light marks on the right board

Don P

Looks like chip mark, insufficient suction. The chips are not removed , some come back around and are impressed in the surface by the body of the cutterhead. Close some blast gates or play with tuning them, or a more powerful fan, or a lighter cut.

beenthere

To check if chip marks that are compressing the wood, put some drops of water on them to see if they swell back up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Is it about the same size and shape as the chips coming of the boards?  good thought.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

If it's the lighter random pock marks on the board, about the size of Frosted Flakes, then that is chips not being cleared and being imprinted on the wood by the pressure roller.  Sometimes the chips will even paste themselves on the roller and have to be wiped off.

More dust collector is needed.  Open the blast gate, close the ones feeding other machines or start shopping. ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SoftWood

Aha!  
Thank you, that makes perfect sense.  Should have put the two together myself but much appreciated 

Thank You Sponsors!