iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love this Track Saw!

Started by Brad_bb, November 09, 2019, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I am using the powertec track, which supposedly is compatible with makita as well.

Interesting idea on the notch, I bet you could make it work with some creative jigs. something as simple as a v notch board that screws onto the track or clamps into the groove.

I have been very happy with the saw and track setup I use it quite a bit for edge straightening. What I did find out though, if the board is twisted unless you suspend the track the edge will not always be 90 degrees.

xlogger

I'm about to pull the plug on a Makita 9 1/4 cordless track saw. Don't really need cordless. Saw sold separate with out rail or battery. I'm using it mostly to rip live edge slabs from 4-12ft long. Longest rail showing is 118" or short one at 55". Is there any other tracks that will work? Also has anyone here have this saw or know about it?  Found at 2 sites, Toolnut and a little cheaper at Toolorbit.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Brad_bb

Quote from: xlogger on December 19, 2022, 03:47:38 PM
I'm about to pull the plug on a Makita 9 1/4 cordless track saw.
I got it for cutting slabs, I got the deeper cut Festool, TS75.  I didn't even consider cordless because one, cordless isn't going to cut that deep, but two, because I don't want to be amidst a cut on a slab and have the saw stop/run out of juice.  You'd likely have to start a new cut then as stopping might cause a blip in your rip.  I don't want to take that chance. Corded = more power and non stop.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Man, I HATE it when I get a blip in my rip! :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Walnut Beast

Yes.   Get efficient cutting without the cord with the XSH10Z. It makes up to 110 cross cuts in 3x12 oak board using two fully-charged 5.0Ah batteries. The electronically-controlled brushless motor delivers a full 4,500 RPM for efficient cutting, with Automatic Speed Change™ technology to adjust the cutting speed and torque under load for optimum performance.

xlogger

looking for mainly other track that will work, different lengths

Crusarius

With my track saw I find that the track is either just to short or way to long. I have 2-55" pieces. Be really nice to have one a little longer and one a little shorter.

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 20, 2022, 06:25:27 AM
Yes.   Get efficient cutting without the cord with the XSH10Z. It makes up to 110 cross cuts in 3x12 oak board using two fully-charged 5.0Ah batteries. The electronically-controlled brushless motor delivers a full 4,500 RPM for efficient cutting, with Automatic Speed Change™ technology to adjust the cutting speed and torque under load for optimum performance.

WB
You have this one? 
How long have you had it?
A review?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

With no plunge feature your going to need an extra 2 feet of track for a straight cut. I have all 3 sizes of the Makita tracks and they are all glue line straight even when joined. I use the long rail the most. Don't skimp on rails. The truck freight on the long rail can be pricey due to the crate length. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Festool and Makita track are supposed to be compatible. Milwaukee's new track saw its supposed to be, as well. My TS75 is one of the few corded tools I have left. I would go cordless, if it was an option.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

xlogger

Quote from: 21incher on December 20, 2022, 12:22:21 PM
With no plunge feature your going to need an extra 2 feet of track for a straight cut. I have all 3 sizes of the Makita tracks and they are all glue line straight even when joined. I use the long rail the most. Don't skimp on rails. The truck freight on the long rail can be pricey due to the crate length.
Thanks for reminding me about plunge feature, I over look that. I wish Festool where available. 

SwampDonkey

One I was referring to above. Price there doesn't include batteries and charger.

Buy Makita 40v Circular Saw Xgt W/55in. Rail at Busy Bee Tools

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

alan gage

I have 3 different lengths of makita track and connect them as needed.  No problems. 

I use them with my festool saw with no issues. They were considerably less than festool track and, if I remember, slightly longer. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: beenthere on December 20, 2022, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 20, 2022, 06:25:27 AM
Yes.   Get efficient cutting without the cord with the XSH10Z. It makes up to 110 cross cuts in 3x12 oak board using two fully-charged 5.0Ah batteries. The electronically-controlled brushless motor delivers a full 4,500 RPM for efficient cutting, with Automatic Speed Change™ technology to adjust the cutting speed and torque under load for optimum performance.

WB
You have this one?
How long have you had it?
A review?
No I've got a Festool TS75. But when  the dealer Toolnut was out of the 75 they recommended that unit as a replacement on their website. I've thought about getting that unit for extra cut capacity and portability. If I get it I will definitely give it  a review. The online reviews were really good and they said it was better than the newer 40v single battery. The two batteries had a faster rpm better cutting. And the run time was about the same

xlogger

on the makita batteries does the cheaper batteries hold up well

SwampDonkey

Actually the 40V has better sustained power even though less RPM's and the battery comes with 2.5 ampH, but a 5 ampH is an option. It actually cuts faster in the end. Those two batteries on the 36V overhang a lot, interfering with some cuts, making it wider and heavier and the top 18V battery is a bit of a knuckle banger. :D

Makita 40v Plunge Saw Review | Is it Better than the Makita 18v x2 Makita Track Saw - YouTube

xlogger

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 06, 2020, 09:54:03 AM
I never use the stock blade, it's good for crosscut but not for ripping.  I use the 16 tooth Panther ripping blade with much better 2" deep rips and easily resharpend.  It will crosscut slabs fine, also.  I've also used a couple other ripping blades, but keep going back to the Panther.  

I also keep a couple screwdrivers stuck into the foam board.  Whenever the wood starts to bind the saw, I'll jam a screwdriver in the kerf to jack it open.  That's works really well.  
wonder if the panther ripping blade will work on the Makita 9 1/4", have not found a ripping blade for it

xlogger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 23, 2022, 04:35:47 AM
Actually the 40V has better sustained power even though less RPM's and the battery comes with 2.5 ampH, but a 5 ampH is an option. It actually cuts faster in the end. Those two batteries on the 36V overhang a lot, interfering with some cuts, making it wider and heavier and the top 18V battery is a bit of a knuckle banger. :D

Makita 40v Plunge Saw Review | Is it Better than the Makita 18v x2 Makita Track Saw - YouTube
Do you have a ripping blade for your tracksaw, I can't find one for the 9 1/4" blade

xlogger

Just got off phone with tool hut makita only offers in the 9 1/4" blade a 24 tooth, do you think that will do a good job ripping slabs

xlogger

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 17, 2022, 07:44:46 AM
Festool is great but no 75s now. And been that way for a long time. Toolnut
Recommends this unit in place of the 75 and it's cordless and cuts over three inches and will work with the Festool track.

The XSH10Z is compatible with Makita Guide Rails (sold separately) for accurate ripping. With a large cutting capacity of 3-3/8" at 90◦, the XSH10Z can conquer demanding applications such as ripping and cross cutting larger beams, boards and forms.
I got this saw a few weeks ago with 3 different tracks, I've use it a little now. On ripping longer slabs one did well and another got stuck . I keep wooden wedges near and stuck one behind saw but didn't free it very good. Not being a plunge saw what should be best to do?

Thank You Sponsors!