iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

640D brakes.

Started by BargeMonkey, January 05, 2020, 09:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

How bad of a job is it ? All in the rear axle right ? Supposedly they need to be done, about the only thing wrong with it. I was sitting tight to jump on that 450J/648G3 deal here shortly, this is to good to pass up I think. Picture looks rough, fenders are straight, same owner 25+yrs. It has 24.5 rubber which is what I want.

2nd dumb idea, 🤣 when mounting a live heel you should mount the cylinder on the backside ? The guy who bought my old buncher wants to sell it back to me, about 1/2 of what I sold it for. I found a heel, grapple, off a 200 carrier. Anything to watch for when mounting it ?

Make an excellent shovel, didnt have 2khrs when I sold it. Debating do I set it up like a loader or excavator ?

I dont have a long lowboy, that's the old one, new ones 3ft more well, I dont know how these guys are moving the big ones without hanging the head WAY off. 

dnash

Do you need to do the service brakes or the parking brake? The service brakes are in the front axle. You will need to unbolt the outer housings from the center section. If you remove the front wheels, you should be able to tilt each side down and unbolt it that way or you will need to remove the oscillating pin and support section and drop the entire unit out. It is fairly simple from that point on. The parking brake is in a separate housing that bolts to the rear axle. You can get to it by removing the winch and fuel tank. I think the entire unit will unbolt from the axle then you can take it apart from there. Again, it is fairly simple from that point on. There will be some heavy lifting regardless of a repair to the front or rear. Hopefully it is the front though as that repair should be quite a bit cheaper (something like $1k front vs. $5k rear). I have the service and repair manuals if you need a scan or 2.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

dnash

In response to my above post, looks like the discs and plates for the parking brake are availiable in the aftermarket for quite abit less than I remember them being from John Deere. Looks like the overall cost wont be near as bad as I thought.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

BargeMonkey

I'm sure theres more than just brakes but find out, I appreciate the offer on the books, supposedly this comes with the full set. I think this machine is like anything else, bring it in the shop and go thru it one end to the other. 

Where did you find a good source for the aftermarket parts ? I was going to call Harold's in ME ? Who I've had the best luck with for 440D parts. 

dnash

I just Googled the parts numbers and looked at whatever popped up. Amazon was one of the sources...
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 07, 2020, 05:35:31 AM
I'm sure theres more than just brakes but find out, I appreciate the offer on the books, supposedly this comes with the full set. I think this machine is like anything else, bring it in the shop and go thru it one end to the other.

Where did you find a good source for the aftermarket parts ? I was going to call Harold's in ME ? Who I've had the best luck with for 440D parts.
the guy in pittsfield   he has an ad in the northern logger

Oliver05262

I got a lot of help from PB&H in Antrim, NH when I had to repair a 640D parking brake last year. And you can R&R that brake assembly from the bottom, but it is heavy and you have to be real careful. Over confident, I thought I could just slide it off the pinion housing after taking the yoke off. Well, yeah, but gravity is the winner and once it was off the housing, I couldn't hold it, just try to guide it down and roll out of the way at the same time. When it came time to put it back on, I had a good helper and a sheet of plywood, and secured enough of a block on a flor jack to get it up high enough to slide back on. Took it apart in the woods; the rear u-joint came apart and broke the release line right out of the casting and with stripped threads for the release bolts the skidder wasn't going anywhere. Now he could drive the machine up to the landing, where we put it back together.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

tj240

I think J&K equip in maine is a solid place. The name maybe wrong they have a website and facebook page. My old employer spent alot of money there. They are way cheaper than JD. Good luck.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

I'm in a FB group with the one owner, seems very knowledgeable. I've ordered like 5? Things from Harold's the last few yrs, always had good luck and tried to send guys their way. I kind of figured the weather would have shut me out by now, I've got to get in the truck and get up there by the weekend, I go back monday. 

ehp

Barge, that should be like the brake system used on all the older johndeere's we had ,  what is it doing ?, I'm sure I have done over 50 brake jobs on them , drain rearend, Front rearend just pull the wheel off and use the blade and lower it so the rearend tilts down towards the ground on side you pulled the wheel off, There is a roll of bolts that hold the outer part of the casting to the center rearend casting, unbolt ring of bolts , always handy to have a backhoe of log truck picker around and the unbolted part of the housing will slide out , brakes are right there where it comes a part. Lots will tell you not to but Im going to tell you to change both axle bearings in each part of the housing , that 99% of why brakes go bad , bearings get bad and lets axle move out and that ends up warping the big brake disk . Back rearend is more fun to get out as it comes out as a whole unit and I found letting the yoke where the driveshaft bolts to  , let the yoke rotate towards the ground as you lower the housing out of the machine , put brand new bolts and nuts that hold rearend to frame ,, on the 640's and 740's which were the most common to have trouble I would just do them right on the landing in the bush. On the older 740's we would not get a year out of wheel bearings so did those a lot

BargeMonkey

Quote from: dnash on January 07, 2020, 07:01:43 AM
I just Googled the parts numbers and looked at whatever popped up. Amazon was one of the sources...
Would you mind at some point giving me the couple part #'s ? Supposedly the guy has all the books for the machine but who knows ? I'm knocked it around for 6 months and I think next weekend I'm headed north with the lowboy and a bag of money, want to get a parts list going so I can throw the mechanic at it. 

mike_belben

I just grazed over the thread and dont think anyone answered your live heel question barge.  If room allows i would definitely put it behind the heel for extra protection, and maximum force to push the butt down and tip up. A one sided cylinder is slower and stronger extending than retracting due to the additional piston area on the extend side, vs having to subtract the rod diameter on the retract side. 

Me personally, i would also take the opportunity to put a hydraulic worm gear winch on the back side of the heel for winching hitches up over those ugly ledges you work.  Grab a tree up high with the buncher arms for stability and reel em in like a baby yarder. Less road to blade out if you just drag them up the face. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

...the winch on a 5 ton 6x6 mil truck is a hydraulic worm with freespool, fairlead roller and a boatload of big cable plus a thread on thimble termination before it goes to chain.  I got mine for like $200. 

Part # 7412382-1 
Mfr # 48239  

That should google them up at auctions. 
Praise The Lord

dnash

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 19, 2020, 03:13:48 AM
Quote from: dnash on January 07, 2020, 07:01:43 AM
Would you mind at some point giving me the couple part #'s ? Supposedly the guy has all the books for the machine but who knows ? I'm knocked it around for 6 months and I think next weekend I'm headed north with the lowboy and a bag of money, want to get a parts list going so I can throw the mechanic at it.
Parking brake lining at117553, 8 needed
Parking brake disc t113689, 8 needed
The numbers are popping up on Google/Ebay as steering clutches for some of the smaller dozers but not on the online Deere Parts Catalog.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

BargeMonkey

Thank you. ☝️☝️☝️.  My mechanic seems confident, hes done a 540D a couple times for the guy down the road, I guess close to the same. I'm leery of what issues it's truly got till I'm up close to it. 

Quote from: mike_belben on June 19, 2020, 02:51:16 PM
I just grazed over the thread and dont think anyone answered your live heel question barge.  If room allows i would definitely put it behind the heel for extra protection, and maximum force to push the butt down and tip up. A one sided cylinder is slower and stronger extending than retracting due to the additional piston area on the extend side, vs having to subtract the rod diameter on the retract side.

Me personally, i would also take the opportunity to put a hydraulic worm gear winch on the back side of the heel for winching hitches up over those ugly ledges you work.  Grab a tree up high with the buncher arms for stability and reel em in like a baby yarder. Less road to blade out if you just drag them up the face.

Mike at some point I want a SK140 mini shovel, even maybe a 200 Linkbelt, problem is we dont see that stuff out here, sometimes would be real handy for the work I do. I watched a T250D tigercat plumbed to a circle saw and a slasher on tracks is NICE but out of my budget for a while 🤣 

mike_belben

I sold a 5k hour linkbelt LS-4300 for $19k up in mass, went right by you on its way to a logger in ohio.  Needed a HG.  Nice machine, was tight. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!