iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

track saw

Started by xlogger, June 08, 2020, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm slowing down part of my sawing now and doing more with my live edge slabs, like planing some under 20" with my planer. I'm getting more asking me to straight line one side for them now. I usually say no. Just don't want to take back to mill and set it up. Was wondering if anyone has a track saw for this? It seems to me that it would be just easier and faster to use one. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I find mine invaluable.  Keeps me from having to hump the slabs onto the tractor forks and take them back over to the sawmill.  I looked at three different ones.  The DeWalt had a 2 1/4" depth of cut, the Makita had a 2 5/16" depth of cut, and the Festool had a 2 3/4" depth of cut.  I went with the Festool because my slabs are usually sawn at 2 3/8", and the DeWalt and Makita would not cut through them unless they were already planed.  The Festool was a good bit more expensive, but it was what it would take to do the job. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Ditto Danny's comments.  I've used a Festool track saw for SLR for 10 years.  It's more than paid for itself.

I have a Mattison SLR too - but for valuable lumber the Festool track saw is more controllable.  With it I can trim within 1/32 or so.  I can't be that precise with the Mattison, so the Festool allows me to net out wider boards/slabs.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmfromkansas

I have a sliding tablesaw that works great for putting a straight edge on a board. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

alan gage

I bought the larger Festool this past year and wish I'd bought it earlier. Really wanted to save money and buy a Makita but after getting the Festool I'm glad I did. If I'm not mistaken it's a larger motor as well as deeper depth of cut and after hearing it labor in some of the thick hardwood I wouldn't want to have less.

Thankfully the Festool saw does work with Makita track so you can save money there. No modifications to track or saw required. They both work together right out of the box.

Get the ripping blade with it too.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WDH

Ricky,

The Festool is a good bit more expensive, but you need that depth of cut to deal with 9/4 slabs.

I did not know about the makita track working with the festool saw.  If I had to do it over again I would still go with the festool saw but would buy the makita track.  A 118" makita track is $150 less than the same festool track. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I think most all the tracks now will work with all brand saws
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

EOTE

All I can say is don't get a DeWalt.  Mine took up smoking after ripping only 23 boards.  That also happened a month after the warranty ran out.  Still waiting on them to fix it.  It's been 3 weeks already.  I originally got it because of the 5 and 8 foot tracks which I could couple together to do 12' boards.  Festool is definitely more expensive but I don't hear bad things about them.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

YellowHammer

The Festool 750 track saw is stupid expensive and stupid good.  If it could be burned up, I would have done it.  I'm on my 6th blade.  It gets used hard for putting straight edges on slabs when I don't want to run them through our SLR.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

I've had no problems with my dewalt.  I have a long track, but need to buy a shorter one too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

xlogger

thanks
now how do most of you charge for straight lining a slab? I charge extra for ones i run thru planer, probably not enough but it does help with sales. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

0 to 50 cents a bf depending on the situation.  If it is a slab that has been in inventory a long time and I want to move it, then I don't charge anything to put the lipstick on it.  If there are several nice, desirable slabs that need the live edges cut off for a table top, then 50 cents per bf. 

YellowHammer

I charge 50 cents per bdft.  I may go up to $1.  The issues are that it is relatively slow, compared to me using some of my other tools, however, its more accurate and desirable for the customer, but it takes significantly more time and effort for me than running through my SLR or double bladed edger.  

So when I used to not charge anything, (why charge $10 bucks to edge a $300 slab?) the customers would line up to get all their stuff edged.  During a sales day, all I did was tracksaw live edge slabs.  "Can you cut this edge off?  Can you move it over a quarter inch?  Can you do this?  etc.  With couples it usually devolves into a discussion.  "Honey, which edge should we cut?  I don't know, what do you think?, I don't know, let's discuss it for another eternity."  Arggghh!!!!  

So it went from a "Oh, it's free? Can you edge mine, too?" smiley_thumbsdown

to 

"Oh, it costs money?  I'll just do it myself." smiley_thumbsup

Some people need their slabs edged, because they simply don't have the tools, so a Tracksaw will help sell them, but definitely charge for it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

I charge .50 bd ft as an add-on to an S2S, or $2.00 per minute if I'm doing it on an hourly basis.

I've found that the $2.00 per minute charge pretty well works with just about anything in the shop, unless it's something that has very expensive consumables.

mredden

I made a 12 ft long ripping jig and use my 10 inch worm Drive Skilsaw. Can rip 3 inch hickory/pecan with no problem. ( my jig has a 1/2" thick base That the saw rides on). I go back along the edge with a router after the cut

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 09, 2020, 08:50:21 AMI charge 50 cents per bdft. I may go up to $1.
So is the bdft the original slab total or the amount of wood you cut off? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

EOTE

Quote from: EOTE on June 08, 2020, 07:42:09 PM
All I can say is don't get a DeWalt.  Mine took up smoking after ripping only 23 boards.  That also happened a month after the warranty ran out.  Still waiting on them to fix it.  It's been 3 weeks already.  I originally got it because of the 5 and 8 foot tracks which I could couple together to do 12' boards.  Festool is definitely more expensive but I don't hear bad things about them.
Well, I finally got news about my tracksaw (after 2 months).  It had started smoking a month out of warranty.  The parts they ordered didn't fix it so they are replacing the armature and field windings and everything will be under warranty.  It sounds like one of those classic repair jobs...remove the saw blade  and put it on a new saw!  :D It should be ready to pick up in a week.  
Let's see if it is more reliable after that.  I have to cut a ton of gusset plates for trusses so it will be a good test.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

alan gage

Glad to hear they're going to fix it under warranty. Hope it lasts a long time after that!

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

moodnacreek

I use my edger or put it on the sawmill carriage.

Walnut Beast

I would say the tracksaw is a little more accurate 

scsmith42

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 21, 2020, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on June 09, 2020, 08:50:21 AMI charge 50 cents per bdft. I may go up to $1.
So is the bdft the original slab total or the amount of wood you cut off? ;)
Original slab total. If it's out of line I'll default back to the $2.00 minute instead. Typically I'm only doing a straight line as part of an S3s. 
The larger the slab, the greater the handling time.

Larry

Has anybody compared the performance of the TS-75 against a 10-1/4" Big Foot or Sawsquatch?  Of course a track would have to be fabricated for the last two.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Quote from: Larry on July 04, 2020, 08:21:39 PM
Has anybody compared the performance of the TS-75 against a 10-1/4" Big Foot or Sawsquatch?  Of course a track would have to be fabricated for the last two.
Larry, I haven't compared them but i'll say this.  Festool has figured out how to make a track saw with little to no residual kerf marks on the wood, and no tear-out on top.
If you're doing a glue up with bookmatched boards, and your rips are made in the vertical grain outer portion of the boards (same location on both boards), the glue line is all but invisible to the eye.
My concern with other track saws would be the roughness of the cut.  It may be straight, but I don't see how the resulting cut could be smoother than that left by the Festool.

EOTE

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 05, 2020, 07:14:27 PMMy concern with other track saws would be the roughness of the cut.  It may be straight, but I don't see how the resulting cut could be smoother than that left by the Festool.

The cut is all in the saw blade.  I have used a number of blades and depending on what you are cross cutting or ripping the blade will be the deciding factor.  Generally the greater number of teeth, the smoother the cut but it also is determined on the grind of the carbide.  I've had some 24 tooth blades that look like I took a chainsaw to the board and others that almost looked like a sanded surface.  I have yet to determine which blade I like best on my (DeWalt) tracksaw because it took up a bad smoking habit before I could try out different blades.  However, a good ultra-thin kerf for a tracksaw will be a plus.

My favorite ripping blade so far for my table saw is a 60 tooth Freud thin kerf.  Cuts like butter and produces an incredible smooth cut.  For my compound miter saw, I use a Freud 80 tooth thin kerf. It hardly takes any effort to cut through the wood.  It also replaced a DeWalt blade which I threw away after trying the Freud.  The DeWalt took so much more effort to make the cut and it was rough, even right out of the box.

Thank You Sponsors!