iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got dialed in for hardwood

Started by Patrick NC, August 29, 2020, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

This first cut was made a couple weeks ago in southern red oak. 9 degree blades. 

This cut was made this morning on the same piece of wood with a 4 degree blade. 

I had been using the 9s to cut cedar with pretty good results, but oak was a disaster most of the time. I'm very happy with the results from the 4s
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

ladylake

I've been running 4° for at least 16 years and it's going to stay that way. higher hook angles cut a little faster but 4° cuts straighter.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JoshNZ

I've not been able to find anything but 10 degree in NZ and I finally asked the question to my supplier who is having some kasco 4 degree blades made up overseas and shipped over. I suspect I won't see them for several months but am really looking forward to trying them with all the stuff like this I read.

He's managed to find woodmax kasco 31.75mm blade .045" thick. Does that sound like the right idea? Little bit narrower than my current band but I don't think that'll be a worry

Patrick NC

Quote from: JoshNZ on August 29, 2020, 05:12:09 PM
I've not been able to find anything but 10 degree in NZ and I finally asked the question to my supplier who is having some kasco 4 degree blades made up overseas and shipped over. I suspect I won't see them for several months but am really looking forward to trying them with all the stuff like this I read.

He's managed to find woodmax kasco 31.75mm blade .045" thick. Does that sound like the right idea? Little bit narrower than my current band but I don't think that'll be a worry
I tried the Kasco 4s and was really happy with the results. I just got these Wood-Mizer 4s the other day and they seem to cut really well too. I actually got a little thicker band when I bought these. Went from .042 to .045. My theory was that a little stiffer blade might help me. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but the one thing I do know is that I'm really liking that 4s. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

JoshNZ

I think my best option is going to be to have my saw sharpener regrind a 4 degree profile on my 10 degree bands. Can't be waiting several months every time I need one =/

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on August 30, 2020, 03:12:00 AM
I think my best option is going to be to have my saw sharpener regrind a 4 degree profile on my 10 degree bands. Can't be waiting several months every time I need one =/
Maybe try about 6 degrees and see how that performs for you.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Cjross73

I love the Kasko 4's, they might cut a little slower but the last longer and cut everything flat
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Thank You Sponsors!