iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dumb mistake

Started by timberjack240, March 29, 2005, 08:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack240

im bored outta my mind so i decided to make this topic

this summer we put a fresh motor in th old jack. i decided one day i was gonna see what it wood do do i shifted to 3rd to see how far i could pull up the hill through the mud. well when we put the heater hose back in we go the rope thats tied to the wench lever tangled up in the hose so i was workin on gettin it untangled (while the skidder was movin) we had a bridge to go across and there was a slight turn  :-\ well i wasnt watchin were i was goin and ran right off the bridge :o it scared me at first and then i realized i couldnt get outta this one i had to go get pap. my legs were numb as i ran to get him not because i was scared of what i did, but what pap was gonna do or say  ;D. i told him and he got the other skidder and when he saw it he just shook his head  ;D he pulled me out and sed i pulled yur uncle outta a lot of stuff but never up over a bridge. it was about 6 ft from the top to the water. wen my gram found out she sed "thats good for ya, youll pay aattentoin now"  :o

i was just wonderein what was the sumbest thing that you guys ever did  while runnin a skidder

tnlogger

I'll bite
when i was young dumb and cocky. i was working a track on the big road for Great Northen
was cutting fir for a delimer well we would run over the pile and drop down on the road.
as they but scaled up there you would try and keep all the butts staight if they couldn't see they you didn't get scaled for them and the company got free pulp.
well i was droping 4 or 6 ft. off the pile with a JD 440 bought the next twitch out run over said pile landed on the DanG blade. Had to go gets one of the canucks (not wanting to offend any one here lol ) to pull it to the ground.  Needless to say I was the talk of the camps till someone
else messed up. but it took almost all winter to get away from that.
gene

etat

I once cut through a light on yellow just before it turned red and made a hard right in a rubber tired pavement roller with a holding tank about half full of water.  The thing had about ten or twelve wheels but when that water sloshed  it got sideways, up on two of em.  When it come back down and that water started sloshing back and forth it was about like riding a bucking horse.  I managed to hang on and ride it til it stooped bouncing. 

The boss seen all these antics.   He was NOT happy. 

He wasn't quite as mad as the time I scratched up  a section of his driveway real bad though when he sent me to get the front end loader. I forgot, didn't know, was too young and dumb, to start moving forward without raising the bucket.  You ain't ever heard such screaming in yer life.

And just a little bit madder than when I run the steel wheeled roller off the pavement into a ditch.  Twern't all my fault, the brakes didn't work. We like to never got it out without tearing up the pavement. 

I STILL don't know why he never did fire me.  Used to give me some REAL  takings too.  Him and his foreman too. I DID try to work hard enough to make up for what I didn't know, which was a lot.

Summer of '73.  Minimum wage.  1.65 per hour and I thought I was getting rich.  I was 16 and often volunteered for all the dirty work and got there early to fill up the diesel and the gas tanks with a hand pump and would stay late rolling out the asphalt.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Sprucegum

I ran one of them steel wheel rollers without brakes - ran it right into the foreman's pickup! He wasn't happy either :D

Kirk_Allen

Maybe not the dumbest thing but definatly the most recent.

I picked up my Uncles 94 Lincoln Towncar for $1.00 last year.  Great car but it has lots of miles.  He maid me pay the buck so if any family members ask, I bought the car ;D

Well, last week I parked the car behind my truck and just to the right of it.  Got in my truck the next morning and wouldnt you know it.  Forgot about the care and backed right into the front left corner.  Totaled the headlight assembly and turn single. No body damage but still a mess to fix. 

Priced the parts :o  Just shy of $300.  I guess thats why I never owned a luxury car ;D  Told the parts guy that was more than a paid for the car ;D

Coon

While running the skidder that we used to have I got it into a position that you wouldn't think was at all possible.   We were logging white spuce early in the spring when there was still snow on the ground and it was quite mild.  We were skidding the logs into the landing and then once we had a bunch of em laying there ready to buck up and deck I would just climb on top of the logs with the skidder and drop the blade and limb the rest of the branches with it.  Well as a long story goes the two outside logs decided to slide apart from the rest of em leaving the skidder tires on the one side to fall into the gap.  Well there I was STUCK and HUNG UP.  With it being the only skidder that we had in the bush-  How would we get it out without putting it on it's lid.  Well I tried the cable winch but it was too short to get to a large enough tree, even with all the chains that we had.   We ended up getting a friend to come over from his cut block about 4 miles away with his skidder and he just winched me out.  Didn't cost me a dime but had to come run his skidder for him when we were done ours, all before the spring thaw.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberjack240

no offense to anyone but im glad im not the only one that does stuff like this  ;D
i have another one one day i was backin in to get a maple and i thought if i push that little birch outta the way i can get it no problem. so i spun the old jack arouind and started to push it with the boom. it was bout 7- 9 in. across and it wasnt movin so i really pushed ;D mean while my pap was trimmin trees and i thoiught he was to my left. i finally got the tree to move and i really gunned er   ;D well.... my pap was alittle more to the right than i thought   ::). i pushed the tree down and the fine branches swutched him  :D needlless to say he com out of the brusha nd wasnt happy. i swear i could see fire in his eyes and his cheeks got all red  :D i ended up having to get the tree anoother way anyhow -- oh well good memories  :D

Bro. Noble

I can Honestly say that I have never done anything that fits in this catagory :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bro. Noble

In fact,

I've never even been in a skidder :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

spencerhenry

took the fork carriage off of my gehl dl6, on the side of the driveway. thought to myself not to forget it was there. next day it snowed, and the other side of the driveway was soupy. backing my 2000 super duty crew cab down, trying no to get into the mud. clipped the fork carriage with the right fender. now it is a little flat.

Part_Timer

When I was about 19 I worked for a freight company.  THe boss told me to go get a pallet of drums from the dock and move them into a trailer.  Well I was talking to a girl more than I was paying attention to driving and ran the forks through one of the drums and it was full of white glue.  I thought I'd clean it up before anyone saw so I started spreading out floor dry.   I guess I don't need to finish this one.  Girls always seemed to get me in so much trouble.   smiley_scholar
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Part_Timer

Come to think of it the gal I married is still getting me in trouble. :D  but I would't have it any other way
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Rockn H

When I was working in the log woods.  We were moving our set  to another location, and when I pulled up to get a trailer I noticed my bosses truck and a D4 idling.  I knew what had happened and waited trying to hear an exhaust so I would know which direction to go.  Finally heared it and it was getting louder, what a relief.  You see, he had used the D4 to push crank an Iron Mule.  All by himself, he had to run and catch the Iron Mule , you see.  Boss or not I let him have a piece of my mind,  it was a small piece I don't have much, but he sure did give me a scare. ;) :o

Jeff

I'll try to pick one out... :D

How about I give you someone elses instead? We have covered the exploits of "Nemo" a couple times on here. Here is a link to the thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=217.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rockn H

I never knew that Ice with grass was unsafe.  You have to be careful if you say that fast. ;D  Hope I never have to use either of those bits of information. 8) 8)

Jeff

The vegetation conducts heat through the ice, either from air to water, or water to air, possibly making it unstable. It may be fine one place or you might step right through it somewhere else. Always to be avoided if possible.

Rockn H

That makes since.  I can't remember more than once the pond froze over around here,  no grass and I still wouldn't drive a skidder on it.  I've seen yall fishin though and it always amazes me.  I've always wondered if you put a heater in there with ya will you melt through or is it like my truck heater when I'm up there sometimes.  Just for psychological reasons only? ::) ;D ::)

timberjack240

all i have to say to eff's link is WOW  :D
id have at elast told someone  :D

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Rockn H on March 31, 2005, 01:23:37 PM
That makes since.  I can't remember more than once the pond froze over around here,  no grass and I still wouldn't drive a skidder on it.  I've seen yall fishin though and it always amazes me.  I've always wondered if you put a heater in there with ya will you melt through or is it like my truck heater when I'm up there sometimes.  Just for psychological reasons only? ::) ;D ::)

I talked to a couple fishermen here last week.  They said the ice was 42" thick.  It will hold a skidder when it's that thick.  In fact, a couple of winters ago, the company my BIL works for loaded a trackhoe on a lowboy and drove it across a fairly large lake to do some work on an island.  Then they loaded rocks into dump trucks and drove them on the same road to the island so the trackhoe had something to work with.  You'll spend quite a while with the heater in your fishing shanty to melt through that. :o ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

slowzuki

I ran accross a web site of an IH crawler enthusiast who build ice roads up north, called himself the King of Obsolete.  Was really interesting, he rescued a lot of dozers that broke through the ice.

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/

Murf

I know for a fact that 5" of ice is not enough to support a Jeep.......

I also know it takes 4 hours afterwards to get it back out ........

There is also a strange change in mass that occurs when that happens, right after I delivered that Jeep back to the Big City (where it belongs) the owner was mysteriously $1,000 lighter.

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Strange how that happened.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jeff

Are you saying that you are responsible for this photo or am I misunderstanding? If so, yer pretty famous and must not know it.

Murf

Nope, I didn't have a picture of the one they put through the ice in front of my cottage.

That one was just for illustrative effect.  :o

But, it was driven by the same type of boneheaded individual as that one, you may have encountered one yer'self over the years. The kind of (as Larry the Cable Guy calls 'em) Waterhead that figgers 'floation' tires means it won't sink.

Besides, that feller's lady is just standin' there real calm, this dunderhead's wife was ready to put him down the hole she was so mad at him.  >:(
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

asy

Wowwee!

I sure am happy we don't have any of that snow or ice stuff here (unless it's in a drink ;) )

Hey, how come in that other thread with the intellectual Nemo, the author of the thread is "Jeff B" and is listed as a 'guest'???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Asy, in the early days of the forum, somehow doing maintainace, I deleted myself. :D  I had no clue on how to reinstate myself so did a reinstall of the software which created the only admin access as "admin".  It turned all by previous posts into "guest" status. Thats when "Jeff B"  became "admin" posing as Jeff B  :D

Thank You Sponsors!