iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry level Timberking vs Wood-Mizer pros&cons; advice for a aspiring saywer.

Started by KPav, January 13, 2021, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KPav

Hello! I am looking into buying a portable sawmill (hopefully sometime this summer) and getting into a side job cutting up logs. I have been getting more interested in anything wood and carpentry, and have been looking to do more in the process. I have had some experience as this past year I had come across an ad for 5 black walnut trees for free (provided I fall them), and it was just too good to pass up. I had contracted a portable Timberking 1620 to come to the site and slice them into slabs for me to dry and hopefully use in some of my upcoming projects. 

Anyway, back to the point. :) I am debating an entry level Timberking 1220CRZ or Wood-Mizer LT28 or LT35. Ive also seen a 91hr used electric Timberking 1600 for sale that I'm debating converting to a gas motor and have the larger capacity. I've done some digging on this forum but have not seen a comparison post, and pros and cons of the mills to each other. I was hoping to get some opinions from someone more experienced than myself before I jump on such a large purchase. Thank you all, its good to be here! 

Photo of the Black Walnut story from earlier to give something to look at and it came out beautiful.

GAB

KPav:
There are not too many sawmill owners that have both a WM and a TK, so asking for a comparison I feel is asking a lot.
My suggestion to you not knowing where you are located would be to try and find owners of every model you are considering and go and spend time with them and ask some questions based on what you observe.  You need to spend some time off bearing each mill to get a feel on how the machine design meets with your physical stature.  What might be great for someone 6'-6" may not be acceptable to someone who is a foot shorter.
You might want to add the location of the nearest dealer as a decision factor.
Based on some recent posts about new mill lead times if you desire a mill this summer you need to order it soon.
Others will chime in soon with more suggestions.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KPav

Gab,

Thank you for the input, that's a good point. I suppose what I was trying to gather was why individuals decided on one rather than the other, if that makes it easier to answer. I am from Eastern Nebraska, so TK will be an adventure, WM seems to have a more dealerships close by. 

I will see what kind of mills are in the area, and see if the owners are willing to let me talk with them and look at their machinery. I appreciate the advice on lead times, its not something that i thought of originally.

Bandmill Bandit

I've done a couple of comprehensive posts over the years on this topic in other threads.

Here is one of them;  

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110213.msg1724662#msg1724662

There is a much more detailed one but so far cant find it. Seems the forums topic directory has disappeared as well or I just am not looking properly. I will keep looking.

Here is the most comprehensive one ive done and there are more done by other contributors as well

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=111263.msg1745623#msg1745623
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

KPav

Bandit,

Thank you for the forwards, I figured there was some available somewhere, just buried too deep to find. I appreciate your advice, I will definitely look through and compare.

Cheers,

Bandmill Bandit

You're welcome.

There's a few more from others too.  

Can some one post a link to the topic directory/index, Please? I can't find it.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

711ac

I imagine that this is a Ford/Chevy - stihl/husky type discussion. I'll disqualify myself as I'm only 6 months into owning a TK (used), my first mill and being "green" as green can be. In my searching I didn't disqualify WM, but was not a fan of all the electrics (vs hyd) or the single beam. But they wouldn't be one of the market leaders if my issues were "a thing", I would have bought one if the right deal came along. What little contact I've had with TK (registering my mill as current owner, minor parts and some adjustment advice) was pleasant, fast and included a TK free hat.

Nebraska

Timberking is down the road in Kansas  City that's pretty close. EZ Boardwalk is about the same distance away in Missouri. If you aren't going hydraulic take a look at them. D Patton has a timber king by Palmyra.  So he isn't far away.

KPav

Good to know, I was not sure if the Kansas City location for TK was a dealership as it was listed as HQ.

I have worked with D Patton before! I think watching his mill work and the stuff he makes is what inspired me to look into getting into the business as well, it was amazing to see what it could do. I believe that is why I am leaning TK, but have seen enough posts recommending WM that I wanted to explore that route before committing as well.

P.S, a free hat is always welcome ;)

mudfarmer

Quote from: KPav on January 15, 2021, 10:05:55 AM
Well in that case, when I picked up my WM they gave me two free hats at the dealer, then got it home and there were two behind the band wheel guard covers ;D

KPav

711ac

Quote from: mudfarmer on January 15, 2021, 10:15:59 AM
Quote from: KPav on January 15, 2021, 10:05:55 AM
Well in that case, when I picked up my WM they gave me two free hats at the dealer, then got it home and there were two behind the band wheel guard covers ;D
But I only spent under $40 for a different scale.   ;)

Thank You Sponsors!