iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Linus checks out Starlink

Started by Ianab, February 10, 2021, 04:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Got the starlink dish installed finally. Speeds are amazing except for our vizio TV and our Samsung blu-ray player. Laptops and my phone in same room run fast. TV can't play a movie without continuously stopping to buffer...... customer support. Not so much

Made my own pipe mount adapter 

Necessity is the engine of drive

John Mc

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 07:42:07 AMGot the starlink dish installed finally. Speeds are amazing except for our vizio TV and our Samsung blu-ray player. Laptops and my phone in same room run fast. TV can't play a movie without continuously stopping to buffer...... customer support. Not so much

If some devices are seeing high speeds, and others are not, that's an indication that the problem is in the connection from your router to the device, not that the Starlink internet connection is slow. What happens when you stream a movie to your phone or laptop?

I've found Starlink customer support to be very responsive when the issue is something on their end. Every ticket I've submitted on their online portal has gotten a response, usually within a day or so, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days (response rate has been better recently than it was back in February, when I first connected my Starlink equipment.) I doubt they'll spend much time helping you work out a connection problem with your individual devices -- the downside of being involved in a Beta testing program.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ljohnsaw

When I finally get my Starlink, I will be dropping my phone company DSL and house service @ $65/mo.  That means I'll loose my email as well.  What web mail are you all using?  Does Starlink come with its own, decent, email?  I don't really want to go with Gmail but maybe Yahoo if they are still out there.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

@John Mc yeah, thought about that after I sent messages to them. They responded this am early

@ljohnsaw (don't know if that's a lower case l or upper case I) unfortunately we use gmail. We have everything being backed up by google. That was before they were being overtly political.  I have looked for even remotely comparable providers and there's nothing

Did a hard reset on the TV. No improvement. I have a 8cat eithernet cord coming tomorrow. That'll cure it

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 10:15:37 AMdon't know if that's a lower case l or upper case I
I tried to get it modified...  It fits here that I John Saw but it is really supposed to be my initial of my first name "L" and Saw is part of my last name.  Its a generic username I use because it is unique.  You'd be surprised at how many Johns there are out in the world! ;)
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

btulloh

One possibility for email is to get a domain name of your own. You don't even need to set up the website, just get the domain name.  Depending on the provider, it can also give you the ability to have an email address with that provider and use their service. I pay 8$ a month to earthlink for this and use an email client on my stuff to service the email. You can also use their web based client, but i like to end up with it stored locally. Maybe not right for everyone but it works for me and I think it's worth the freight. In the last thirty years I've had a lot of different ISPs but I've kept the same email address for thirty years. YMMV. If you do have your own website hosted somewhere, that usually gives you the opportunity to have an email address that uses your own domain name. 
HM126

att_t_2d

Quote from: btulloh on May 13, 2021, 12:05:45 PM
One possibility for email is to get a domain name of your own.....
I have done this for the last 8 years with GoDaddy and I would highly recommend it.  Plus its very easy to remember a domain that is the same as my name.

Southside

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 10:15:37 AMDid a hard reset on the TV

Being a proud technology dinosaur to me that means you pushed the button really hard.  Kinda like when cordless phones first came out - realized you could not slam it down to hang up any more.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

@Sedgehammer did you go into the Starlink app and see if there are any obstructions?  It sure looks out in the open in your photo though.  Obstructions from a tree and my roof were my problems at first.  Now I have zero obstructions.  I assume you are still part of beta.  There will be beta downtime everyday.  The app will show you how many minutes each day you have downtime.  Ours usually last for about 30 seconds at a time.

@ljohnsaw I have email addresses with gmail and yahoo.  Yahoo is my personal one that I have had for 25 years or so.  My gmail accounts are more work related.  No problem with either.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside on May 13, 2021, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 10:15:37 AMDid a hard reset on the TV

Being a proud technology dinosaur to me that means you pushed the button really hard.  Kinda like when cordless phones first came out - realized you could not slam it down to hang up any more.  :D
tee hee..... :D

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 13, 2021, 01:42:16 PM
@Sedgehammer did you go into the Starlink app and see if there are any obstructions?  It sure looks out in the open in your photo though.  Obstructions from a tree and my roof were my problems at first.  Now I have zero obstructions.  I assume you are still part of beta.  There will be beta downtime everyday.  The app will show you how many minutes each day you have downtime.  Ours usually last for about 30 seconds at a time.

@ljohnsaw I have email addresses with gmail and yahoo.  Yahoo is my personal one that I have had for 25 years or so.  My gmail accounts are more work related.  No problem with either.  
absolutely no obstructions. That's why I'm getting the 80 Mbps. Phone gets like 50 right near the TV set. they sent a message that the TV might be on the wrong frequency. i'll check that out tonight perhaps

firefighter ontheside

Even when we had obstruction, you would go from excellent speed to none.  As the sat you were connected to went behind obstruction you would lose signal til it either came out of cover or the antenna would switch to the next sat in line.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 03:38:15 PM
absolutely no obstructions. That's why I'm getting the 80 Mbps.

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 13, 2021, 04:15:35 PM
Even when we had obstruction, you would go from excellent speed to none.  As the sat you were connected to went behind obstruction you would lose signal til it either came out of cover or the antenna would switch to the next sat in line.

Firefighter ontheside is correct. Obstructions aren't really a speed thing they relate to whether you are connected at all.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Sedgehammer

Quote from: John Mc on May 13, 2021, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 13, 2021, 03:38:15 PM
absolutely no obstructions. That's why I'm getting the 80 Mbps.

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 13, 2021, 04:15:35 PM
Even when we had obstruction, you would go from excellent speed to none.  As the sat you were connected to went behind obstruction you would lose signal til it either came out of cover or the antenna would switch to the next sat in line.

Firefighter ontheside is correct. Obstructions aren't really a speed thing they relate to whether you are connected at all.
Yeah, I know. issue is we have great internet all the time on everything cept the Tee Vee and the blue-ray. that's not an obstruction type issue. thanks though

John Mc

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 14, 2021, 12:08:50 AM
Quote from: John Mc on May 13, 2021, 06:26:59 PMFirefighter ontheside is correct. Obstructions aren't really a speed thing they relate to whether you are connected at all.
Yeah, I know. issue is we have great internet all the time on everything cept the Tee Vee and the blue-ray. that's not an obstruction type issue. thanks though
It's not obstruction, it's likely a matter of the connection between your router and the devices which suffer slow speeds - which is most likely not a Starlink internet issue. Are they a hard-wired connection, or WiFi?

Sedgehammer

Quote from: John Mc on May 14, 2021, 08:51:01 AM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 14, 2021, 12:08:50 AM
Quote from: John Mc on May 13, 2021, 06:26:59 PMFirefighter ontheside is correct. Obstructions aren't really a speed thing they relate to whether you are connected at all.
It's not obstruction, it's likely a matter of the connection between your router and the devices which suffer slow speeds - which is most likely not a Starlink internet issue. Are they a hard-wired connection, or WiFi?
correct. they want me to check the bands. i've not had time yet. have games again tonight, so maybe tomorrow

SwampDonkey

I see more and more analysis of the Star Link economics. You're going to have 42,000 objects in orbit, the life span is 5 years at best and already there are satellites failing (3% failure rate, costing $1.5B for annual upkeep of the system). Plus you have a $2000 home package they're selling for $500 plus $99/month fee with a production cost of $750,000,000 for 500,000 subscribers. It will take 700 Falcon 9 launches to get them up there @55M a launch, carrying 60 satellites at a time, cost $38.5B. On top of that $457M in company wages to employees of the company. Upkeep and salaries becomes $2B a year. That doesn't even include the cost of the ground stations, leased realstate, licensing fees. He'll probably need 4x the number of subscribers just to keep it all afloat. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 11, 2021, 04:42:18 AMIt will take 700 Falcon 9 launches to get them up
They had a blurb on the News that he will plan on using the BFR to launch something like 5 Falcon payloads at once.  I just caught the tail end of the segment so not sure when that would happen.
John Sawicky

SwampDonkey

Falcon heavy has never flown for over 2 years, and only carried a car, and two missions to orbit.  Starship can't unless they change the bay door configuration, the one that is planned opens up like a chest door, not like duel shuttle doors that swing out of the way. The deployment will rip the door off the thing.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

That's really just a technical problem. The final orbital stage can be redesigned, maybe with different doors, or a protective shield that is ditched once the stage clears the atmosphere. 

Rocket Labs are working on a new medium size reusable launch system they claim could have a 24 hour turn around. It's not built yet, but RL have an actual successful launch system in use, so they have the experience to build a more capable one. No reason to think that Musk and co are sitting on their backsides. They will be working on designs to keep them ahead of the competition. 

Redesigning a Satellite deployment stage would be a minor side project.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

I don't care if he makes any money as long as he keeps me in internet for about the next 30 years or so.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

:D :D Money's no object by the looks of it so far.

John Mc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 11, 2021, 07:51:39 PM
I don't care if he makes any money as long as he keeps me in internet for about the next 30 years or so.
If he makes it for at least a few years, maybe fiber will be run to our area by then.

SwampDonkey

I see fiber lines going up around here every once in awhile. Seen a crew this week running line near town. Last summer they ran line up a road that runs parallel to ours here. Ours is dead end in winter, they hardly keep the power line cleared let alone run lines. :D A lot of the coverage in rural areas here is towers. They tried to run a dish here, told me no tower service here, but I said no, called back and talked to the right fella and he put in tower service here. Because I knew we had it here, neighbors have it. Can't outsmart this gringo. :D

firefighter ontheside

I don't see fiber coming to this area ever.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!