iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal posts in concrete with tar vs galvanized

Started by Sedgehammer, March 29, 2021, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Building fence in stem wall with 2-3/8 metal posts. Lengths are not typical lengths. We need longer. 11' - 15'. Having hard time finding galvanized pipe. Can get used 2-3/8 oil field pipe .190 side wall. Wondering if coating with tar wood help any with rust and how much longer wood galvanized last ya figure?
Necessity is the engine of drive

21incher

I have used por15 for stuff like that and it may be better protection then tar.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Southside

Por 15 is the bomb for rust prevention. Just not sure about a concrete environment. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

You can get cold galvanize paint on, also por15 works good but I find it sticks best when there is already rust present hence the name POR(Paint On Rust), of course you wire wheel/brush the flaky stuff off first. 
A1

ESFted

I see unpainted oil field pipe fences everywhere when I visit my daughter in Edmond OK.  Is rust really a problem with that stuff?  It looks really sturdy and I've thought about bringing a trailer load back to VA to use as fence posts here.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Sedgehammer

Quote from: ESFted on March 30, 2021, 09:23:52 AM
I see unpainted oil field pipe fences everywhere when I visit my daughter in Edmond OK.  Is rust really a problem with that stuff?  It looks really sturdy and I've thought about bringing a trailer load back to VA to use as fence posts here.
No, but wood prefer galvanized over non if possible though. 
Was able to find some galvanized 2-3/8 x 10' 6" that will work

farmfromkansas

Are those pipes galvanized on the inside?  Seems like pipe always rusts out from the inside.  Probably nothing to worry about, will outlast most of us.  Neighbors are building pasture fence with oil well pipe.  Say it will outlast hedge posts.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!