iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Days are Gold

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 03, 2021, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, after a lost year due to Covid our daughter came up yesterday with 25 month old Lyric and 4 y/o Quinn whom we had not seen in 13 months. We had a good afternoon, the kids slept good then they woke up full of energy at 7:00 am and hit the ground running. They ate a good breakfast of grits, bacon, biscuits and scrambled eggs. Then we had to go let the kids feed the left over biscuits to the horse and mule and our DIL and 3 local (10 miles away) gds came up followed by our son. We had a great day which included cooking out hot dogs on the front lot and going back later and making SMORES for dessert.

All 5 grandkids together again for the first time in 13 months.

All 5 sitting on my big flat rock picnic table and some of my early prototype benches with the SMORES making behind them ready to start the marshmallows toasting.

My wife and all the grand kids at the family picnic area. 2 y/o Lyric is such a heartthrob with her little perky nose and curly hair that is totally out of control and looking like a bird nest sitting on her head. She is the center of attention in all she does. She has a battery powered microphone with a disco light on the other end and I bet she sang "Let it Go" to us a dozen times or more today. I took the 2 youngest ones for another bumpy hay ride around the place behind the ATV with their 13 y/o cousin riding with them for security. The little ones wanted to go faster. Abbie wanted shocks on the little wood cart.

We will all have an egg hunt with the little ones and Easter dinner here tomorrow and hopefully the fun will continue.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Patrick NC

Glad you had a good day with the family. We did almost the same thing today. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

sawguy21

8) Times like that are so special particularly under the present circumstances. I have no family of my own and have lost contact with Karens, they don't seem interested.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Just sweet, very sweet. Gold days. Must be very good. Told you that you would have to get your rest for this one. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Actually there was some detailed planning involved here. By having the cookout I conned the kids into picking up the sticks that had fallen in the lot over the winter in preparation for mowing season coming up. ;D

The little kids came prepared with rubber boots to walk around the pasture and muddy areas and such. I saw the kids standing on the bridge throwing rocks into the water of our creek below. I kept hearing my daughter telling 2 y/o Lyric she could not get into the water. This evening my daughter said she was cooking hot dogs over the fire and handed Lyric off to our son to watch. Well, when Lyric told Uncle Sean she wanted to go play in the water he thought that was a fine idea and Sharon said the next thing she knew she turned around and her brother had Lyric wading around in the creek. I guess Sean figured that was why she had the rubber boots on. ;) Kids learn quick - if Mommy says no, go ask Uncle Sean! If she'd asked Grandpa I'd have probably put her in her swimmers, taken her down to the deep pool and really spoiled her. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Looks like fun!!
No easter egg hunt here any more. They have all grown up.  :(  Waiting for the next batch to hatch out :D, so we can hide some eggs again.
We have hunted for eggs in t shirts, sweat shirts and jackets. A few times the hunt was inside the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ellmoe

Sounds like your Granddaughters T-shirt summed it up nicely!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Sedgehammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 03, 2021, 06:09:50 PM
They ate a good breakfast of grits
Well that's awesome on many levels, but I think you made a little mistake in your description of the first morning. You said they ate a good breakfast of grits. I don't think good and grits go very well together, but everything else was topnotch...... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

WV Sawmiller

My wife fixed a big ham and fixings and everybody was here for lunch yesterday and to help hide eggs and help the little ones find them and Lyric figured out real quick 15 y/o Josie could open and get her prizes out quicker than her little hands could so she delegated that chore. I figure she has definite management potential.

Abbie & Quinn finding eggs

Josie, Mollie & Lyric finding eggs. Son's dog Teddy trying to help  

All 5 searching the front yard between the fence and the creek for eggs.

Well, they just left and Lyric, the 2 y/o ate a real good breakfast of biscuit & jelly, eggs scrambled with ham, and grits. She ate slow and steady and a couple of times she would say "More eggs." Then later on she stopped and said "Eggs good."

We had 3 leftover biscuits and some well dried up apples we had to go feed the horse and mule after we finished our breakfast. The mule would turn his head sideways and stick it through the bars of the gate to get his apple or biscuit while the big horse would reach over. Blackjack, the mule, tried several times to eat 4 y/o Quinn's hair. I don't know what my daughter combed it with but it smelled good to Blackjack.

When we finished with that we went back out and I got my wife's ATV started and she had to ride around with 9 y/o Mollie, Lyric and Quinn in the dump bed of the ATV. They made several loops around the lot and finally I think Mollie's back and butt about gave out from the bouncing and such.

It was awful hard to see them go but they will be just as excited to see their daddy when they get home. He works from home and Lyric is very much a Daddy's girl and Quinn is not far behind. It was truly a wonderful trip.
Howard Green

farmfromkansas

Sure is nice this covid thing is winding down.  Bunch of old coots showed up a couple Saturdays ago at the coop, and all of us were vaccinated.  We saw 3 of the grandkids for Easter, the 2 yo really got a lot of eggs. Most were plastic eggs with treats, some colored eggs. My daughter always makes at least twice as much food as anyone can eat, good stuff. She likes to bake, and had sugar cookies with colored icing.  Some looked like carrots, other stuff. I don't eat the ones with icing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

I sure missed waking up to the laughter of our granddaughter and the pitter patter of little feet this morning and hearing my daughter yelling "Slow down baby girl - I'm coming." A little after 8:00 pm we got a video call from them to say good night. I think the kids use that to their advantage and use every trick to avoid bedtime so the last ploy they use is to say "I need to tell Grandma and Grandpa good night." Then they stretch that out as long as they can. They even had to say good night to Sampson. What a treat.
Howard Green

Sedgehammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 06, 2021, 09:42:04 PM
  I sure missed waking up to the laughter of our granddaughter and the pitter patter of little feet this morning and hearing my daughter yelling "Slow down baby girl - I'm coming." A little after 8:00 pm we got a video call from them to say good night. I think the kids use that to their advantage and use every trick to avoid bedtime so the last ploy they use is to say "I need to tell Grandma and Grandpa good night." Then they stretch that out as long as they can. They even had to say good night to Sampson. What a treat.
of course they do and you on that, agree with them........ 8)
I'll miss it when our 2 are grown (7 & 9) and gone. Can't imagine how you do it.....
Necessity is the engine of drive

Roxie

Whether it's my age or circumstances, this Easter was the most meaningful of my life. The tears won't stop when I reflect on the day. Good tears. Tears of an overflowing love and recognition that I've been blessed with far more than I deserve. 

This was the message that I sent my niece when asked about my day:
" Take time today to fully enjoy each and every friend and family member you encounter. You can never know when you'll see them again. The simple joy of watching Richard serve up a man sized plate yesterday got to me in a way that I don't understand. Nathan jumping up to take out the trash for Granma. Dave bringing me the flowers. This is the meaning of our existence. Love is the meaning."

Richard is my 42 year old son, Nathan is my 17 year old grandson and Dave is the 21 year old son of my Amish neighbor. 

Dave was Cowboy Bob's hired help for a few years and he has remained the only Amish person that I have ever seen openly crying. That was at Bob's funeral. The flowers were beautiful, but Dave pulled up a chair and we laughed and reminisced for about two hours. Balm for an old woman's soul. 

Some days are indeed gold, and I am deeply touched by your sharing yours too. 
Say when

WV Sawmiller

@Roxie ,

Thanks for sharing. I am glad you had a good Easter and made some more memories. I'm fixing to mail some pictures to my almost 91 y/o mom who has never seen Lyric. I have a couple of her in her little white sundress and white sandals running around the front lot and picking big yellow flowers to take to Grandpa and such and my Mom had asked me months ago for a picture of her in a white dress. I had forgotten till I saw the ones my wife was printing. Guess what Great Grandma is getting for her birthday/mother's day from GGD Lyric this year?
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!