iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to do with this ugly looking leaner?

Started by steveh2112, April 24, 2021, 09:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh2112

i  think it was hit by lighting at one point. i want to remove all 3 trees from same stump. what do you pros think about how to safely get these down? thanks

for scale, those rebars are 1/2" x 4'. fortunately there's no houses or anything close by and the trees in the fell line i can take out first.

i could add that i want to be no where near this thing when it goes and a i have a 200' pulling rope, so my first job would be to attach a pull rope, and i have a good spot down hill on the road where i can pull with my truck.

Hogdaddy

DEpends on your experience cutting trees... sounds like it's limited, so you may be better off trying to find someone to help and teach you. But, with a tree with that much damage, it can't be trusted, so be careful
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Jim Chance

If you are not comfortable get help. That is not a beginner tree. 

I would cut each with the lean (the 2 solid trunks could be steered a little) with an open face and bore cut. On the bad one, pick the height and hinge depth with the best hinge material and width. Maybe strap the bad one to keep it from splitting. Not too thick of a hinge and a real clear and long escape path. After the three trunks are down cut the stump off. 

Note that if you plan on pulling it the tree might not cooperate. It might fall before you are ready. A tree like that is less predictable than a solid tree.

steveh2112

thanks, that was my thought on the bad one, notch maybe 25%, plunge and maybe a 2" hinge, that's about 10-15% depending on how to measure it

but then i don't feel comfortable completing the back cut 100% with my big saw. i was wondering about getting to about 2-3" of holding wood and trying to pull it down from a safe distance.

i like the strap idea too, thanks

Southside

Are those standing dead?  Looks like prime candidate to barber chair on you.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

steveh2112

i think they are alive, but its still a bit early here for the buds. anyhow, that's why i don't want to be anywhere near it when i comes down, and i like the strap idea too Cutting Down Dangerous Trees - Professional Advice - YouTube

Skeans1

Best advice if you need to ask the internet how to cut it then don't do it.

Old Greenhorn

I feel like we had this conversation a few days ago. ;D What Skeans said. Good cutters do this all the time without too much thought, but if you have to think about it, maybe you want to find somebody that can do it safely. I did a couple today, but I would never let someone do that unless they had some saw time under their belt.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Nothing personal, but I would not take "professional advice" from a guy felling timber without a hard hat or chaps. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

quilbilly

None of the old cutters out here ever wore chaps, tbh I think the only reason most modern fellows do, in my area, is because it's required. I know that's an unpopular opinion on here but I know tons of good cutters who'd rather not wear chaps. A hard hat on the other hand I don't know anyone who would go without one. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on April 24, 2021, 09:27:34 PM
None of the old cutters out here ever wore chaps, tbh I think the only reason most modern fellows do, in my area, is because it's required. I know that's an unpopular opinion on here but I know tons of good cutters who'd rather not wear chaps. A hard hat on the other hand I don't know anyone who would go without one.
Most of the guys out here where the slip in chaps so we don't get caught up on the brush.

Ed_K

I wear chaps because I have had to have my left knee sewed up once yrs ago, and I had a pair of chaps save me a second time when I got tired and set a 376 xp at 3/4 speed on my thigh. My BIL still won't wear anything that would save him from blood, hearing or seeing, he is so stupid and I tell him that all the time.
Ed K

Woodfarmer

Those are straight forward for an experienced feller, as mentioned if your not comfortable then don't attempt. None of those need to be pulled down.

nativewolf

Just seconding others.  Get someone to come drop that, rope is not helpful maybe even bad.  Hard hats yes! Chaps too, wont hurt you and just the other day a homeowner cut his leg off a few miles from me.  
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

I should clarify I'm not saying chaps are dumb, I just wouldn't use it as my measuring stick for deciding if someone knows how to cut a tree or not. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Hogdaddy

Quote from: nativewolf on April 25, 2021, 08:22:50 AM
Just seconding others.  Get someone to come drop that, rope is not helpful maybe even bad.  Hard hats yes! Chaps too, wont hurt you and just the other day a homeowner cut his leg off a few miles from me.  
Cut his leg OFF?? Wow, i know it possible, but hadn't heard that before.
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Magicman

Anyone making a "how to" video that will potentially be viewed by thousands of people should be professional enough to wear all of the appropriate safety gear.  There is no excuse to do otherwise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

About a six pack of tannerite and a 30 caliber rifle from 150 yards might do it.  Wear hearing protection. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Tacotodd

Just be careful about that tannerite option, because that is starting to sound JUST like something that "I" would do 😱
Trying harder everyday.

Ianab

The (careful) application of explosives is an officially approved way to deal with hazard trees. 

Above my pay grade, but it's a legitimate option. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Satamax

Quote from: Magicman on April 25, 2021, 07:57:57 PM
Anyone making a "how to" video that will potentially be viewed by thousands of people should be professional enough to wear all of the appropriate safety gear.  There is no excuse to do otherwise.
Cutting down saw mill trees - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kodiakmac

Spray it with poplar juice and wait for a strolling beaver to take care of it. :)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

John Mc

Quote from: quilbilly on April 25, 2021, 10:43:30 AM
I should clarify I'm not saying chaps are dumb, I just wouldn't use it as my measuring stick for deciding if someone knows how to cut a tree or not.
Perhaps not, but it would be one of the measuring sticks I use about whether to let the idiot do any work on my land.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tacotodd

If not chaps then chainsaw pants should be used. But sometimes finding just the right ones to FIT correctly (for me) is a trick in itself. After all, that's the problem that I've run into. 6' tall with  (relatively short torso) but long legs means that I need a 36" inseam to fit properly. At least to not ride up when I sit down.

Stihl has these but I've not tried them. The last time that I checked, 3mo out on that specific pt# that I wanted, and that was BEFORE the world got to how it is now!
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

Quote from: John Mc on May 07, 2021, 04:57:54 PM
Quote from: quilbilly on April 25, 2021, 10:43:30 AM
Perhaps not, but it would be one of the measuring sticks I use about whether to let the idiot do any work on my land.
Most of the guys are wearing internal chaps that slide into pockets in your jeans if you have ever been out here you know what the brush is like. Now how we judge a faller how here is on their ability to save wood so if we see GOL style cutting that's a good way to get canned and black listed.

Thank You Sponsors!