iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spin the Black Circle.

Started by Ianab, July 09, 2021, 02:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Or the pink circle in the this case....

Vinyl records are making a comeback, not to mention older collectable stuff like this 80s masterpiece. So we now have a cheapo new turntable, with build-in speakers or USB output.  8)

The record is a 12" single "collectors edition" from 1985 that's been in the cupboard for the last ~30 years. Turns out it is actually collectable, and worth about $40 now. Scrolling through the local online record store, there are others that I still have that are now worth over $100, if they had them in stock, which they don't. 

Anyway old vinyl records by obscure bands is what the cool kids are into now... (again)  :D 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tacotodd

What comes around goes around  :D ;D
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Old music is making a comeback, I noticed it in the local radio stations, they all switched to 70s,80s,90s a couple years ago from the pop and hip hop music that nobody enjoyed so I’m not sure why they forced that music on us for 20 years lol
And yes records are coming back, it’s “trendy” I guess they call it. I have a cheapo record player i bought for some records I have collected from relatives over the years. 
A1

Ianab

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 09, 2021, 06:46:06 AMOld music is making a comeback

It never really went away, and not all old music was good. Just the stuff that stands the test of time is still good. There has always been a lot of crap pop music in all the decades. Luckily they don't play the old crap any more. 

How's this. This record is now selling for NZ$170 on the internet. The new turntable cost me ~$80 :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Ianab on July 09, 2021, 07:01:22 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on July 09, 2021, 06:46:06 AMOld music is making a comeback

It never really went away, and not all old music was good. Just the stuff that stands the test of time is still good. There has always been a lot of crap pop music in all the decades. Luckily they don't play the old crap any more.

How's this. This record is now selling for NZ$170 on the internet. The new turntable cost me ~$80 :D

Yeah you’re right not all
Old music but you know what I meant. To be honest though they get repetitive with the AC/DC, rush, led zeppelin etc, I do like those but they don’t play anything else rarely. To get old rock on the radio over the last 20’years locally you’ll needed Sirius xm. They only played modern pop 
A1

HemlockKing

That one looks like the one I got, it was like 60$ lol. It's not great quality made in China I believe but it plays the old records, I rarely bring it out. 
A1

samandothers

You guys clean your old vinyl?  Been years since I have played to old LP's or had the receiver and turntable hooked up.  

Next I'll need to find a VHS player!

Ianab

Quote from: samandothers on July 09, 2021, 08:32:14 AMYou guys clean your old vinyl?  Been years since I have played to old LP's or had the receiver and turntable hooked up. 

You might be surprised by what old vinyl is worth now. Some of my friends back then gave me a hard time for buying "alternative" local records. Original pressing of all sorts of artists are now collectables. NZ bands probably have a head start because there might only be a few thousand ever pressed. 

40 years later it's actually collectable. 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clean-Great-Sounds-Great-Good-Sounds-Good-So-So-Sounds-So-So-Bad-Sounds-Bad-Rotten-Sounds-Rotten/release/791357

about $70 US? 
I've got the 3 recommend disc as well 

Old Greenhorn

I got one of these a couple of years back, and I did use it to listen to old LP's fr4om back in the day. But I find it more valuable to listen to LPs I find on ebay (sometimes cheap) that are not available in 'modern formats' because they were niche recordings. Quite a few of these were from the early days of artists that I have come to know in their later years personally. It is interesting (to me fascinating) to go back and get their original work before it developed into what became popular years later. Most of these folks the average music fan never heard of, but they influenced those who came later a great deal. David Grisman, John Sebastian (in his jug band years before the Lovin' Spoonful), Jim Kweskin, Maria Muldaur (in her jug band years before the solo career), Peter Shickele, Slim Richie, of course Bill Keith, Happy and Artie Traum, Gordon Titcomb, Pete Seeger, Eric Weisberg, Hazel Dickens, Pat Alger (wrote a lot of songs for Garth Brooks and others years later), The Woodstock Mountain Review, and a host of others. These folks all started somewhere and I find it fascinating to watch how they developed over time. A lot of this stuff was only on LP's.
 Yeah, I like my turntable, plus I can digitize the albums, but that consumes a lot of time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Are you saying there is still hope for 8 track tapes coming back? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

what about reel to reel?   smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_old_guy smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_applause smiley_fiddler
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Don't leave your records in the sun, 
They'll warp and won't be good for anyone,
Don't leave your records in the sun,
They get all wavy and just won't run,

They just won't play (tik)... just won't play (tik)... just won't play (tik)... just won't play (tik)... :D

(Song by John Hartford 1976)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

samandothers

Got quite a few 78's from parents house.  They may become targets!

SwampDonkey

I still have a turntable here from 40 years ago. Still have the needle protector to. First record I ever owned was by Cheap Trick. Well actually, no, used to get records with stories narrated on them. Spiderman was one. ;D

Radio from Houlton, Maine

Listen Live - WHOU 100.1 FM
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Going to have to check the box of albums I have in the basement.  I must have 200 from the 70s and 80s with some of them having  what was called a collector cover at the time that was fancier then the standard sleeves. I think it weighs close to 100 pounds. I stopped  my wife  from donating  them to goodwill about  15 years ago when we moved. Do  the USB turntables have decent quality of sound after converting it to digital?   May be time to pick one up and drag them out. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

Quote from: 21incher on July 12, 2021, 07:19:17 PMDo  the USB turntables have decent quality of sound after converting it to digital? 

Probably depends how much you pay for them?  I'm sure a $300 Sony is better than a cheapo Chinese one. But having said that, it works and sounds just fine. 

Thank You Sponsors!