iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco 415ex??

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 24, 2021, 12:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Do these fabtek heads have float positions for when your delimbing? 

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on August 09, 2021, 04:14:41 PM
Are we talking a floating knife function or a float for the head itself? They had floats for the knives but not for driving the head you did this normally with foot pedals some where singles and others had two.

Firewoodjoe

Ok. Yeah I thought the knives did. I meant more for the head. So I'll
be harvesting out of buncher piles most times. Should I worry about making sure I twist the head as I swing to the various sort piles or will the hydraulics relive enough to not have the head lined up perfect with the tree? If you can understand what I'm asking lol

Gary_C

I've done a bunch of processing with my Ergo and picking from a pile. Hated every minute of it. Ponsse actually makes delimbing knives for picking from a pile. I think they are longer to reach further from the rollers.

The rollers are the problem. Even wide open they will sit on the adjacent trunks.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

Hint- the buncher man you hate if you're in a skidder is your friend if you're in a processor. Messy bunches are good👍
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

At first I processed on the stump - then I bought my buncher and processed from piles.  Like Gary said - the geometry of the knives isn't ideal.  I learned to make ugly piles so they were easier to grab from.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JLeBouton

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on August 09, 2021, 04:14:41 PM
On the Skidmore heads, you can enable float on the rotate while processing. The FabTeks / Cat heads do not have this function. 

Firewoodjoe

Well I own it. Ran it and all went well. The computer was a bit of a pain for me. The fabteks are pretty primitive but I hate elections. After that the machine was pretty simple. After what people said I figured I'd be getting out with a chainsaw. But I cut 3-4 cord per hour the day running it. But that's also aspen out of buncher piles. I'll post some pics next week. 

Firewoodjoe

I also bought a second mule this late winter. I'm trying to get it painted before I need it. 🤞

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Couldn't take it so I painted it today. I hate painting old equipment. Never turns out like I hope. But finish a few odds and ends then she goes to the woods to bring the other one home for some needed love. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

You didn't paint it.  You applied the Sinhider top coat.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

thecfarm

Like the pictures of the mule. But where's the other machine you bought?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Southside on August 14, 2021, 10:39:00 PM
You didn't paint it.  You applied the Sinhider top coat.   :D
😂 yeah but except for a dented hood this mule is pretty nice. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: thecfarm on August 15, 2021, 05:48:23 AM
Like the pictures of the mule. But where's the other machine you bought?
On the job 1 1/2 hours away. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. 

ehp

She looks good plus it's always nice to have good looking machines that are not beat to death cause lots of people will walk by you to the next logger cause they feel your machines reflect your work . Old beat up machines means your broke and  they worry about getting paid . 

Firewoodjoe

mike_belben

nice.. congrats on the leap. 

well.. the $64,000 question is, how much more production is it responsible for at the end of a day?
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: mike_belben on August 16, 2021, 05:22:06 PM
nice.. congrats on the leap.

well.. the $64,000 question is, how much more production is it responsible for at the end of a day?
Well first of all. Where did you come up with that number lol and it needs to average 90 cord a week to make the same I make with a chainsaw. That's assuming it don't cost more than $1000 a month in break downs. It's already easier on fuel than I thought. Although I haven't ran it straight 8 hours yet. But my buncher uses twice the fuel that timbco does. I know that already. And yes I know it will cost more at times. But it should produce a lot more than 90 cord too.  

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hacknchop

And hopefully at the end of the day a little easier on your back, and it's gotta be safer than a chainsaw. Congrats.
Often wrong never indoubt

mike_belben

It was from a tv game show before our time. 
Praise The Lord

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: ehp on August 16, 2021, 12:41:14 PM
She looks good plus it's always nice to have good looking machines that are not beat to death cause lots of people will walk by you to the next logger cause they feel your machines reflect your work . Old beat up machines means your broke and  they worry about getting paid .
I'm starting to believe that very thing myself.

Joe the mule looks good.   Hate painting machines as well but it do look good.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!