iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Farmer C7E Query

Started by Koopsy, September 15, 2021, 09:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koopsy

Hello, I've recently purchased a 1980s Tree Farmer C7E and I wanted to change out all the fluids and filters. Would anyone know what kind of engine/tranny oil this machine would take? I'm up in Northern Ontario where the winter drops around -30'C in January and the summer peaks around +30'C in July.
The machine has a Cummins engine, Clark Winch, and a Clark 3 speed powershift.

Any information about this machine would be appreciated.
Bobby

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Working it full time in the woods or just for your own use?
Like the place to hook a chain in the middle of the blade.
Looks like a delimber on the side of the blade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Koopsy

Thanks. It's for my own personal use on my property.
I believe it's good practice to change most fluids when purchasing old iron. 
I presume it's an accumulator on the blade. I've never seen one before, not sure what its specific purpose is.

Bobby

Koopsy

It turns out I have a Cummins 6BT, Clark 3 Speed Power Shift, and a Clark Winch.

Should I run 5W-40 in the Cummins, to accommodate summer and winter?
What oil does Clark PowerShift use?
Should I run AW-32 or AW-68 hydraulic oil?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

barbender

I would run a good quality 5w-40 synthetic, I like Rotella in the blue bottle. That's what I run in my Cummins B series engines. I can't tell you what for the tranny etc. That's a sharp skidder, looks like it was well taken care of.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Ok, one more. I'd say a aw46 hydraulic in the summer, and an aw32 in the winter. If you don't want to be changing it seasonally (I wouldn't) there are premium hydraulic oils that stay thin in the winter. I run Ponsse equipment, we had been running a Petro-Canada/Petro-Choice iirc and then Ponsse started getting a Ponsse label on it so I can't remember for sure what it was. I believe it is an aw46 with a very wide operating temperature range. We used to dump our hydraulic oil in the fall and switch out to an aw32, we don't have to with this oil. It's really more of a "performance" oil than you need, but if it saves you from the seasonal switch then it would be worth it. I think we pay around $20/gal US for it.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

15 40 in the motor what I run in everything. My Clark trans Mercon   ATF. Clark says that or you can use motor oil

snowstorm

The grapple on the blade is to pick up the tree that came un hocked on your last trip or to per bunch

Koopsy

Awesome, thanks again.

Would anyone know what kind of oil goes into the wheel hubs?

Bobby

Koopsy

Finally got around to changing out some of the fluids. 

Cummins 6BT took about 15L of 5W-40.
It has a block heater to bout, that'll come in handy.

Changed out the oil in the wheel hubs and differentials with 80W-90. The front diff took 6 gallons, that's a first for me. Rear diff and hubs looked liked a double-double coffee pouring out. The diff armour plates were full of wood saturated with diesel fuel and oil. Had to spend some time cleaning it out.

Hydraulic reservoir was nasty: 5 gallons of brown sludge came out. The C7E took 15 gallons of AW-32 to even register on the tank window, that was another first.

Anyone know what find of oil a Clark winch uses? I'll have to swap it next time I get a chance. 

Bobby

chet

I would recommend putting synthetic in the differentials because of your cold weather. Had lots of problems with the locking pins not wanting to reengage in cold weather until the machine had been run hard for awhile. The lighter synthetic gear lube solved that problem.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Koopsy

Thanks, I'll definitely switch next time I service the differentials. What kind of weight were you thinking? I know there's 85W-140 that's full synthetic. 

chet

It's been quite some time, but if memory serves me right that was it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!