iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk, 2022

Started by Magicman, June 06, 2022, 07:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We are still two months away but time has a way of slipping away.  The deer food plots have to be sprayed and then bushhogged/subsoiled/disc/planted before mid-October.

It has been too unbearably hot to even think about much exercise.  I thought that I was having some hip problems but I found out Tuesday that it's a pinched nerve in my back. No cartilage between L3 & L4. I am taking an anti-inflammatory pill and will begin physical therapy 2-3 times per week beginning next week. He did not say so, but I'm also adding some heating pad time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Go easy, maybe stick to short walks for exercise. When elk season starts all pain goes away don't it? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terry f

Magician, since you've probably been spike hunting, I thought you might appreciate this spike that was just sent to my phone 😊 I can't believe he has any cows with him though 

Magicman

That's an odd character with probably a genetic defect.  He could still be the most mature bull in the area.  He still has plenty to show off.

We are only a bit over 6 weeks before liftoff.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Magician, I'm not big on spike hunting (I'd rather they did no spikes, and more branch tags) but that guy should be removed. He came through last week and has already gathered up 5 or 6 cows, but this is the first I've ever seen of him. These are my normal spikes. Looks like I posted one pic twice

Admin note:  Double pic removed.

Walnut Beast

Magicman

You can click on "modify" in the top right of the reply and remove/delete the duplicate picture.

I have never had an opportunity to eat elk cow, but a spike was absolutely the best meat that I have ever eaten.

barbender

A spike that isn't in the rut should be mighty tasty. I passed a spike on my elk hunt (as well as numerous cows) as I was in a hard to draw area and was holding out for the big guy. I never got the big guy🤷‍♂️😂
Too many irons in the fire

terry f

Without a doubt, spike is the best eating, just less of it😊. Barbender, no shame in holding out, especially in a hard to draw area, a big bull is special 

petefrom bearswamp

Only have killed 4 elk in 8 trips all but one unguided.
2 Bulls and 2 cows.
One was an older cow and you could hardly chew the gravy.
Rest were ok, but my preference is still our Whitetail.
As I have said before, I envy you and Marty your Elk trips together and now 2 grandsons couldnt be any better.
Success in hunting is of course a plus, but I still cherish the trips Mark and I took together success or no.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 12, 2022, 08:38:08 AMAs I have said before, I envy you and Marty your Elk trips together and now 2 grandsons couldnt be any better.
Thank You my Friend.  Yes, this should be the most envious trip that we have ever taken.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

The clock is ticking and we are only one week away from leaving.  We haven't been since 2018, so lots of stuff to sort through and pack up.  Just trying to remember what not to forget.  ;D

Ben and Luke have never been so it's amusing to see the excitement and anticipation.  :)

Old Greenhorn

Lynn, I envy you for this. To be able to share the experience with your son is one thing, but to do it again with Grandson's is something few get to do. Savor every second. That 'anticipation thing' can be some of the best stuff.
 My Pop and I never hunted together in my youth. I was in my 20's by the time we ventured out. We hunted private land and fixed up an old shack for the landowner and he let us hunt there whenever we wanted because of that and we stayed in that shack. It had a woodstove and we added a 3 burner cook stove, table, and chairs. It was all we needed. It was long before 'internet' was even a word. I always brought a little transistor weather radio which also got AM and FM. So after dinner, we would listen to the weather and make the next days hunt plan. Then I would tool around a bit looking for something else to listen to besides music my Pop didn't like. I found a little local radio station that was replaying the old radio shows like the Green Hornet and Dick Tracey and others at 7:30 every night. We had so much fun listening to those shows that we planned our hunt days to make sure we could catch that nights show. A silly thing that turned out to be a lot of fun for us in the pitch dark in the middle of the woods with nothing better to do than go to bed at 8:30. :)
 I never imagined, during those days that I would move here and that would become one of my local stations and today I know some folks that work there. They don't play those shows anymore, but it was fun while it lasted.
 Leave the WIFI crap at home, find a local radio station for background if you need to, and enjoy your family. These are the good old days. Not many can claim that, you should and I am sure you will. This is a special trip, savor every moment.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

My Dad had a full measure just trying to scratch out a living so I never went hunting, fishing, or anywhere with him.  

I can absolutely assure you that I am looking forward to and already enjoying this trip.  :)

"South Park" where we will camp is 9,953'.  The forecast for our first morning is 17°. 

Magicman

We are in the packing/getting ready mode and last evening/night was grocery buying time.  It's amusing watching Ben & Luke, they are pumped.  :)  Marty is trying to squeeze in every work day that he can before we leave because when you are self employed there is no paid vacation time.  Our "leave" day got pushed from Wednesday to Thursday which will put us there Friday afternoon.  Marty is the only person with a license and the season opens Saturday.

This trip is about much more than the hunt.  Actually the hunt is secondary to the trip.  I am looking forward to enjoying something that few Grandads get to do.  :)

barbender

I'm excited for you guys! The bonus for Marty and the boys is, not only is Grandad making the trip, but he is an experienced elk hunter that knows his stuff👍 

GAB

Lynn:
I wish you the trip of a lifetime, with no incidences, other than a successful hunt to report.
Be careful and take it easy.
To quote someone else: Don't let your eyes write a check your body can't cash.
Take your time and have a great time.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

Ah shoots, even if you have any incidents may they be the kind that you come out of fine and add to the memories of the hunt! 

snobdds

Good luck.  The weather has changed,  it will be chilly.  I closed up my cabin while it snowed this weekend.   

I could have got one opening morning in a deep canyon.  But, I didn't feel like killing my 71 year old dad.  

I also go just to spend time with my dad.  That's the best part. 

Magicman

Yup, I fully understand the "best part".  Marty and have been hunting together since he was ~5-6 years old.  We first hunted Wyoming when he was 17.  That year we hunted antelope in Bill and deer in Slater.

Looks like toward the end of next week we will be taking a "chill pill".  Yikes !!!

Magicman

It's time to roll and there is a lotta Texas between here and where we are going.  move_it

Texas Ranger

Get some of those Texas grits on the way through.  8) 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JD Guy

Grits and Beef Brisket  8). I've never had brisket that wasn't great in Texas or smoked by someone from Texas!

I'm making myself hungry :D

Have a great hunt!!!

Thank You Sponsors!