iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hernia

Started by thecfarm, June 25, 2022, 06:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have an inguinal hernia.
I call it My Little Buddy.
He will be gone on Monday. I am going in for surgery at 10am.
Just like putting half a baseball on the left groin area. My insides are trying to get to the outside!!!!!  :o
In the morning all is fine. After up and around for about a ½ hour, I can feel it when it comes out.
I work in a grain/hardware store. We move at least a ½ ton of grain, by hand a day. Maybe one bag, 50#, every 15 minutes, but we all do it. Sometime some customers get 2 bags.
Then there is soil in the spring time.
Should have seen the Doctor eyes when I told him that.  ;D
So I will be on the crouch watching net flix and you tube for 2 weeks.
Don't be surprised if I get grumpy.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

Good luck and follow the docs orders Ray.
Together we got this !

kantuckid

Good luck with your surgery. My Mom had one that got the mesh inside her to hold it back. 

For comparisons sake, compare your lifting numbers with hundreds of square bales of alfalfa through 4-5 cuttings. The worst was when I stacked them high up in a bale storage area via "bale steps" high in the air. Honestly I'd die doing that now. :D Back in those days roll hay wasn't invented yet and not all alfalfa went into cash bulk sales to the drier in town. 
Another comparison: When I worked (skilled trades not production but heavy enough at that) in a Goodyear tire plant, a tire builder built ~ 200 plus tires per build out shift on piecework and lifted all the components then the finished green tire onto a hook conveyor.
 A green tire inspector lifted each of those same tires 2-3 times each then back onto a conveyor to a total shift count of around 5-6,000 tires per department per 4 inspectors. Try those numbers. ;D
Off bearers at a sawmill 2 miles down my road-4 guys (Mexicans from Vera Cruz, MX) lift every board onto a line of side stacks on the off belt 4 x 10 hours shifts per week. Across the road locals sit on a porch loafing away. Go figure huh? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery Ray.

I got "meshed" many years ago and have never had any complications other than I could not straighten up for about a week after the procedure.  You will do fine. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Best of luck with the surgery Ray! Follow the Doc's orders closely (don't cheat like me). Give it more time when you get back to work too with some lighter duty. Maybe see if the store can get you guys a flat car to move that stuff with (it will actually save some time moving more in one shot).
 Let it grow back together with plenty of time. Us older folks take a little longer to heal up right. I hope this make you feel a lot better!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

I was gonna say, they gave me 6 weeks of light duty, and that was a push. Visit the tackle aisle and check back in about Labor Day. They didn't grow up with Tennessee Ernie singing "16 tons"  :).

21incher

Good luck Ray. Follow the doctor's orders. I am guessing  you didn't tell your  doc about  the 500 pound boulders you have been moving for years 😉.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

Hope it goes well Ray.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Yes, I will and am listening to the Doctor.
I was on light duty at work and will be when I go back. Light, as in no more than 5 pounds. 
Most rocks get moved by hyds. May not have hyds on the sawmill, but those rocks get the hyd treatment.  ;)
No garage building this year.  :(  There is always next year.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Good luck and heal quickly. Them rocks and grain sacks can wait two weeks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

randy d

Please keep us posted on how it is going for you I am scheduled to have mine fixed on July 11th would like to know what I have to look forward to. Hope all goes well for you Randy

WDH

DanG it Ray, pay attention.  Lay low, like the tar baby.  Don't be like Brer Rabbit.  No hop skipping and jumping.  None. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

B.C.C. Lapp

Good luck Ray. You'll be happy you delt with it when its done.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Larry

Take good care of yourself Ray and hoping for a fast recovery.

Let us know iffen ya find any great youtubes!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I really doubt I will feel like hop skipping and jumping.  ;D
This Doctor will do The Cut and mesh. I could have had another one, but liked this one.
I was suppose to see a NP that was going to refer to this Doctor. But she came down with covid, so the surgent had to do a office call. I pumped the questions to him, about 45 minutes worth.

pigman

I had one repaired 15 years ago.  Everything went well with very little pain or soreness . At the three week checkup, I told the Dr that it was fully healed and I thought I didn't  need  any restrictions.  He said that was OK with him since he would be paid again when it had to be repaired  again. :'(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

wisconsitom

I had a hernia repair on my right side years ago, via mesh.  Has been fine.

Couple years ago, new one developed on left side.  Got that repaired same way.

It's not so bad, just frustrating to be limited for a while afterward.  Before this last one, I was often doing 50 chest to ground pushups along with other exercises.  Following the suggested recoup period, I found I pretty much had to rebuild from scratch.

Best of luck!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Bruno of NH

Good luck Ray 
Don't over do it till you heal up Sir
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GAB

Ray:
Wishing you the bestest result with little pain and hopefully you won't need addictive pain abatement drugs.
Take it easy for a while.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

wisconsitom

A hernia repair should require only the slightest use of opiate or opioid pain meds.  I think typically you might get a script for like six hydrocodones or so, not much, and not strong.

More about watching how you move when getting in or out of bed, stuff like that.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

Thanks for the well wishes.
The dog is going to her grandparents for the day. They are about 40 minutes the other directions.
I have to be at the hospital at 8am.
Doctor says about 6 hours from when I get there and the time I get to leave.
I have to do some scrubbing tonight and in the morning.

YellowHammer

Good luck to you.  
I had a double hernia repair many, many years ago, and before you know it, you'll be as good as new!

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

chet

Had one every bit of 40 years ago also. Stiff for a few days but otherwise not to bad. But da swelling and back and blue to my manhood area had my wife calling me  'Arnie, da Angus Bull'.   :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

samandothers

Hoping all went well this morning and you heal without issues!

TroyC

Hope everything goes well for you. I had one 20 years ago and no problems since. My recovery was fast and easy. 

Thank You Sponsors!