iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My turn has finally arrived

Started by Gere Flewelling, July 29, 2022, 06:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gere Flewelling

After working the last 45 years fixing vehicles and equipment for others, it is my turn to try out the retirement thing.  My wife retired in April and is enjoying it very much.  We decided that I should join her at this time.  Been working at the ski area for the last 17 years chasing broken snow cats on steep mountain terrain as well as other support equipment that only seems to break down on the steep snow and ice.  I'm not complaining, it just that the mountain seems to have gotten a little steeper these last few years and it seems to take much longer to heal up  :D these days.  Work better suited for young guys.  Plus since I purchased a saw mill a few years ago, work is always interfering with my hobby.  Now Lord willing I can spend more quality time with the wonderful woman who has put up with me all these years and pursue the passion this sawdust addiction has created.  I am excited to be joining the ranks of many of you on this forum. 8) 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

taylorsmissbeehaven

Congratulations!! That is an exciting new adventure in life. I hope you both enjoy every minute of it, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Congratulations !!!  I will look forward to reading about your retirement adventures.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

Congrats!
Enjoy it. I don't know how I ever got anything done when I was working.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

kelLOGg

Welcome to "retirement", Gere. I did it 12 years ago - took 20 minutes to adjust and now I spend more of my time on sawmilling related stuff. Wish you the same enjoyment.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

K-Guy

Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy it.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

moodnacreek

Be careful, you could wind up busier than when working, congratulations.

YellowHammer

Before long, you'll have so much going on, you'll wonder how you had enough time to work your old "real" job!  Congratulations.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kantuckid

Have fun as you join the ranks of those who plan their own time, or don't. 
As you plan, allow space for things that refresh you and try to avoid overdone days. 
My wife and I have always contended that we really didn't need a "job" to stay busy as we are very self-contained people with many interests. The issue then becomes one of knowing when to kick back.
In retirement "it's (mostly) all about one's health", I wish you both many healthy, active days. I also hope you have family such that your days are never lonely. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Congrats and I hope you have a great time in retirement. 

I always said retirement needs to be a case of shifting gears to do what you want to do when you want to do it rather than what you had to to do and when someone else told you to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

Congratulations! You will find that after retirement, it takes a lot longer to do normal things. Takes me almost all day to mow the yard or change oil in truck! I could do both in an hour before retiring.  ;D

rusticretreater

Retirement, where every day is Saturday except when its Sunday.

Congrats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8KEbQA8kw
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

21incher

Congratulations.  It's  fun to wake up every morning and say what do I feel like doing today.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bert

Congratulations! That's got to be a good feeling!
Saw you tomorrow!

Wlmedley

Hope you enjoy your retirement.I know I sure have.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Nebraska

:) congratulations, I hope to have that adventure someday day myself.

low_48

I retired 8 years ago. I had 2 years of euphoria, then my Mom started her serious decline due to dementia. It started out pretty easy, just extra trips to her home. Then by 2018 she was gone. The toll it took on me just knocked the sap out of me. I dropped all my plans of making furniture and artistic woodturning stopped. I started riding bicycles to clear my head when I was visiting her in assisted living and then REALLY needed that when she moved to the nursing home and she didn't recognize me any longer. 15,500 miles latter I still ride. It's pure joy riding at 15mph and smelling the air, seeing animals, and just plain relaxing. So my word of advice is don't worry about what you thought you were going to do in retirement, just take life as it comes along and enjoy the ride.

Walnut Beast

Time to have some fun and enjoy life!!

SwampDonkey

You got'r made now. smiley_thumbsup Lots of sunshine smiley_sun and sawdust ahead. horn_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I could enjoy doing that!!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gere Flewelling

Thank you all for the many kind words of encouragement.  I feel quite fortunate to have found this Forum a few years ago.  It has become an important part of my life and daily routine.  I look forward to being an active and contributing member of it for as long as I am able.  I might even get better at posting pictures on it as time goes by smiley_thumbsup.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

Gere,
Congratulations enjoy your Sawing time even more.
Climbing around a ski mountain is tough business. 
I couldn't imagine working on the groomers right on the side of the mountain. 
If you ever get time stop in for a sawmill visit. 
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

maple flats

I retired 6.5 years ago. I kept getting up at 5-5:15 for almost 3 months, just out of habit. I finally and gradually slept later, so now I get up between 6-7:30, whenever I wake up.
You will soon find why others have told you they were busier after retiring than before. I never believd it before I retired. Part of it will eventually be because you work slower to get anything done, but that will take a while, it happens slowly.
May your health remain good and don't make the "to do list" too long. I gave up on those lists, they kept getting longer and longer, so I gave up on them. For the most part I now plan for that day, but I do still keep long range plans in my head. Enjoy retirement!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Spike60

I'll happily be joining this club come this December. (138 days actually) Looking forward to the change. Not at all worried about finding stuff to do. I already see that "working slower" effect maple flats mentioned. What I used to get done in a day and a 1/2 on the weekend might take the better part of the week now.

People often told me that when it's time to hang it up, I'd know it. Sure enough, that's just what happened. No months and months of wrestling with a decision. Thought about it a few days, and that was it, I'm baggin' it. Surprisingly clear decision too; no second thoughts at all. Only so much sand in life's hourglass, and we can't flip it over either.

Funny part for me is that a lot of people seem to think that owning a business should in some way alter the timeline vs a person that just leaves a job. They seem to think that finding a way to ensure the business continues should precede retirement. And I've seen guys in my shoes do that, sometimes with a sad ending. They burn up the remaining years they have trying to sell the business, and sometimes they never get out until they are wheeled out on a gurney. Be nice if someone takes over the shop, but regardless, I'm out of there at the end of the year.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!