iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flowers on your place

Started by Walnut Beast, July 30, 2022, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

thecfarm

Looks good!!
I planted them things for years!! Deer kept eating them. I gave up for years. Then I tried some a few years back. Glad I did. Them things are booming!!!
We do have a big vegetable garden. With rows four feet apart and more flowers than vegetables.  ;D   Herbs too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

About 40 years ago we were hiking near local Cave Run Lake and a ditch line was full of wild Purple Cone Flowers, nearing the end of summer. I gathered a pocketful of seeds and sowed them below our spring cistern overflow in a small meadow, seen out our kitchen sink window. They caught on and easily number in the hundreds now and have moved as far as a 1/4 mile from that area probably via birds. I tried a bunch of various other bred colors (as you see for sale in greenhouses) from ebay purchases and none ever came up. A "slobber bug" eats on them. As a perennial you shouldn't have to plant them, unless into a new area. 
I also have many wild Blazing Stars near them, also a perennial. 
FWIW, Echinea/Purple Coneflower is considered deer resistant. Our experience is that towards late summer they'll eat most anything. A pair of fawns' grazes on our front "lawn" eating grasses in the evenings now. I guess they didn't read the book on browser's diets?  ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Walnut Beast

metalspinner

These are from a carnivorous plant garden my son planted a few years ago...

These flowers are from the pitcher plants. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom King

Couldn't find any full bloom pictures.  These bloom only for a couple of weeks, but make a good show when they do.

Walnut Beast

Tom King

Thanks, but I don't know what happened to the full bloom pictures.  I did find one.  They are quite a bit more showy in Full bloom.  The other picture I posted was when they were first starting to open.  The ones on the left in the other driveway picture are the same ones in picture below.

We bought those hybrid Azaleas in 1981.  We went to a lady Pam's Parents told us about that started them beside her driveway.   She was selling them for a buck fifty each. Driving a 1965 Buick, I told her I'd buy as many as she could get in the trunk.  She put 60 some in there.

There are over 2,000 regular ones on that lakeside hill.

Tom King

In this picture you can see a little bit of the darkest of the three colors.  This is the 75 foot walk from the house to the barn.  That tallest hardwood tree is a White Oak I moved with an excavator 20 years ago when it wasn't 15 feet tall.

Menagerie-Manor

Been working on getting several wildflower beds in this year and they have been coming up nicely. 

If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Larry

>

Every evening as the sun sinks below the horizon, I take a stroll with my best friend Hank the dog around my place.  We sometimes stop and take a picture.

This is a tree flower that I posted earlier this year.....Dogwood.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Some beautiful pictures guys!

kantuckid

Azaleas pics are neat. 
One of the best azalea displays I know of is near Pine Mountain, GA at the Calloway Gardens. They took and old worn out piece of depression era farmland that had been used to death and turned it into one of the more beautiful places in the USA. It's beside the FDR Summer Whitehouse historic area of Warm Springs, GA and also a nice state park. 
The other special public garden that comes to mind is on Vancouver Island, also a resurrection project of a quarry, as it were-it's called Butchart Gardens. 
If you like rose gardens, visit my hometown of Topeka, KS and there, within the old city park, Gage Park, is one of the noteworthy old rose gardens in the USA. Reinische Rose Garden has thousands of them and is a garden where new varieties are tested and judged along with very old varieties. 
It was one of my youth bicycle jaunts to ride through it to either the ball diamonds or swimming pool. 

SwampDonkey

Hydrangea 'Annabell'

The other flowers there are various peonies and a bleeding heart. Bleeding heart blooms and dies down. Years ago we had an old one at the old house, it grew up quite tall. Grandmother had one to. Dutchman's breeches has the same flower, but is a much smaller plant. Wild around here, but likes moist ground under hardwoods in these parts. Never see it in spruce woods.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We had a patch of white and a patch of purple columbine this year. They are just wild, but I started them from seed years ago. And pretty much everyone up this way has lilac bushes, there are purple ones and white ones here, all gone by for this summer. We do have a Weigela, and it is pretty much done blooming to. 

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Iris are my favorite. 

a few from this spring.

aigheadish

Beautiful gang! I like Iris a lot as well. We have a bunch of flowers all over, I'll try to remember to find/take some pictures!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kantuckid

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 02, 2022, 04:45:50 PM
We had a patch of white and a patch of purple columbine this year. They are just wild, but I started them from seed years ago. And pretty much everyone up this way has lilac bushes, there are purple ones and white ones here, all gone by for this summer. We do have a Weigela, and it is pretty much done blooming to.
Here we have Wild Columbines which grow from rocks and are an early spring red flower about 8-12" tall. Mine grow right from limestone cliff edges, never directly from soil. 
I bought a "tame version" from Krogers front plant area thats the same red, leaves, etc., but much taller and grows from soil. The tame version is like our wild one except on steroids and it spreads very easily. One end of my driveway is full of them now after they bloomed. They are ~ 2-3' tall. 

Stephen1

Beautiful Flowers. Keep posting pics. I am under construction here and put most of my lily's under mulch under the big oak tree. I am starting to landscape today so I can get grass seed down before the end of august. I hope to build a couple of gardens so they are ready for spring. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

Contruction?
I hope that and flowers work out well.
Lilys are a bulb, as you well know and should far out well. Just take a couple years to get them going again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

I volunteer a tenth of an acre for a Pollinator Habitat wild flowers sponsored by our Soil and Water Conservation District and the GA Association of Conservation Districts (GACD).  

Since the State is paying for materials, We follow their guidelines.  Spring to 2021 the area was covered with black plastic to kill whatever was growing.  To keep the plastic in place because of the wind was a major challenge. I found a use for loads of sawmill slabs.   

This Spring the plastic was removed and seed sowed.  Due to a very hot and dry Spring, we had to replant.  Maybe I'll be able to post some flower photos next year.  Maybe build a few bee houses, too. I do not have a green thumb, for sure.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

aigheadish

Speaking of bees... Kind of.

I've got a back field that is approximately 2.5 or so acres and when we moved into the house some local farmers would come and hay the field for maybe 5 big round bales. The wife and I discussed the field's use and after a few years decided we didn't want that to happen anymore for various reasons but for me it was mostly because I cut a go-kart track in the field to run around on, and I wouldn't be able to tell where the track was after they came and cut down all the hay. 

Over the past 3 or 4 years I typically go out and cut a new track that differs from the previous year, so it's always a bit fresh, and I'm learning how to make turns that are more fun or whatever.

We also have a guy that keeps about 10 beehives out there and we like the wildflowers and junk that populate the field. Even though we don't spend tons of time out there the go-kart track makes a nice walking path and we get basically unlimited honey for hosting these bees. 

I've done some learning over the years and it seems debatable whether it's better for the bees for the field to be completely cut and regrow new wild flowers or just to let it grow so along with my go-kart track I've started cutting a bit more back to stimulate new growth. 

It'd been a while since I'd cut back there until a few weeks ago when I got my new (old) tractor and as I start going around the field starting the first cut of my new track I noticed where the old track was because on the exact path of the old track up popped tons of white flowers! I don't know how well they can be seen in the pictures below but once I noticed it I thought it was really neat!

First picture is the back straight-away.

Second picture is one of a few big turns, if you look close you can see the white flowers turning to the right. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey

I like the black eyed Susan daisies. They are getting scarce up this way. The field across the road used to be full of them and strawberries. Now the bed straw scourge is displacing a lot of wild plants. That and cow parsnip. Neither of which was around here until recent years. Weedy hay fields and weedy grains, spread everyone else's weeds around. ::)

Ed_K

Rita has flowers all around the house and sugar house. The first is a dragon lilly I call it a stinky flower  ;D :D, it smells like dead meat  :o food2.

That's one of her favorite flowers. Here's a couple more  ;).

This last one is her magic lillies.
Ed K

tule peak timber

Kodiak Alaska two weeks ago

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

Fireweed seems early here. I remember in northern BC they was a August flower. But they have been in bloom since the end of June and going to seed now.

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!