iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PatD's Broken Arm

Started by Magicman, September 22, 2022, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Last Thursday the 15th, I had finished sawing for the day and was ready to relax when PatD called telling me that she had probably broken her arm or wrist.  I was 236 miles from home so a 3 hour & 22 minute drive followed.  A grandson carried her to the ER where she was X-Rayed and a cast was placed on her arm.

Today she had an appointment with an Orthopedic Dr. who made an X-Ray.  The large bone is broken immediately below the wrist, and thankfully it is a clean break and will not require any surgery, etc. 

The cast was replaced with a removable "splint" and she has a return appointment in two weeks.

I have Bushhogging to do tomorrow and Saturday and my plan is to resume sawing Tuesday the 27th.

This past week I have been doing "wommin" stuff.   ::) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Well medically speaking, I am confused. Maybe Doc has time to weigh in on that x-ray. You say there is a clean break in the Ulna proximal to the wrist that is not displaced, but I don't see it in the photo. 
 It all matters not, she is in a good place and it just needs to heal as is, this is great news. I wish her a speedy and painless recovery. That's what matters. You should stick with doing the wimmin stuff until she tells you otherwise.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

The break is not a straight line but I see it as a sorta upside down curve like a weak question mark.  The main thing to me was that it will not require anything other than letting it heal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

OWWTCH !!! That looks worse than MM's toes..Looks to be the right hand. Gonna be frustrating having to do everything one-handed. :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Walnut Beast

You better slowdown a little Magicman and take care of your wife. Be careful you don't get jacked up yourself 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on September 22, 2022, 10:48:07 PM
.........  The main thing to me was that it will not require anything other than letting it heal.
Indeed, that is the best part of it. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jim_Rogers

Ms PatD get well soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

B.C.C. Lapp

Ouch,  that had to hurt. How did she break it?  
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

samandothers

Falling is bad.  Falling with a break is worse.  Falling with a break that is clean and does not require surgery is better.  I hope Pat heals quickly.  If you are doing her chores, she probably hopes the same too!

doc henderson

It is in the larger radius bone near the end by all the smaller bones.  so the bigger long bone near the end by the hand.  It is not clean but it is non-displaced and I assume not angulated.  so hold it in place, and do not fall on it again till healed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Ouch! Take care and heal up quickly, PatD. And don't do it again. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Wishing Miss Pat a speedy healing and you good luck with your apron on.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

yes, I think he has a nice leather apron!   :)  could put a pink bow on it.   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Ouch!  No surgery or hard cast is about as good as it gets with broken bones.  I hope she heals quickly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on September 23, 2022, 04:15:07 PM
yes, I think he has a nice leather apron!   :)  could put a pink bow on it.   8)
Now there is an image!  

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on September 23, 2022, 01:14:03 PMIt is not clean but it is non-displaced and I assume not angulated.
doc, he mentioned something about the far right lower side, and he could have said a bit displaced or angulated. ?? Whatever it was he said would not be a problem.  This is the same Surgeon that fixed my rotator cuff.

What happened?  No I did not say but while I was sawing in the sand box, she was dog sitting a Great Granddaughter's Border Collie.  They were out for a pee break and the dog was on a leash.  A squirrel came down a tree and the dog took off jerking PatD down head first.  It upset the dog which immediately came back and started administering medical attention.  Grandson Ben was the only person available to take her to the ER.  When I got there ~3½ hours later it looked like a family reunion.

B.C.C. Lapp

"It looked like a family reunion."    Isn't that awesome? smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

thecfarm

I hope she gets better soon.
Brenda has 2 broken ribs.
I just heard her get into bed.  :o   :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Good luck with the wimmen stuff, a few years ago Kay tripped on a curb going for an eye appointment and broke her elbow so I did a bunch of cooking and laundry for a while. Tell Pat we are thinking of her and hope for a speedy recovery.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Monday morning after my Dr. app't, I will have to change the bed, wash clothes, and clean/scrub the toilets.  That plus fill my empty Diesel jugs.

I will leave on my 236 mile trip to the sand box sawing job at early afternoon.

Bruno of NH

I'm sorry 
I just seen this
Mrs Pat have a speedy recovery 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Thanks for asking Peter and she is making a slow but gradual improvement.  She had the splint off last evening and I watched her make a slow examination.  It will be a long time before she regains any substantial use of the arm. 

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the update, MM. We're all sending healing vibes. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Good to know, thanks, Slow and easy. smiley_thumbsup 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!