iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delta Unisaw Question

Started by gasman1075, November 17, 2022, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman1075

I purchased a used Delta UniSaw from a private school  recently and am looking for a little advice. It came  with the Biesmeyer 52 fence. My question is: My basement shop isn't that big and I do not need the whole space to the right. So my question is should I cut the rails to a comfortable width or should I have new rails made ? 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

firefighter ontheside

I would just cut them down to what I needed.  The odds of being able to sell the long rails and recoop what you spend on new ones are not too good.  The price of steel is high.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

I have a 52 inch in a basement shop, where I have to sort of squeeze around to the left-hand side of the saw to get past it. But I value the wide table to the right for not only being able to cut sheet goods but also I use it for a router table. Of course it also comes in handy for all kinds of clutter too.I wouldn't want to give it up unless I just absolutely did not have the room.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bigblockyeti

Cut 'em.  I have a 52" Unifence on my Unisaw but I have room (sort of) to still be able to get around it.  I cut full sheets of plywood infrequently and with the way it's set up and everything else that's in the way, I'm limited to more like 34" but knowing the full capacity is there is what matters to me.  If I find myself in a situation where I absolutely cannot keep the full width, I will chop down the front rail as needed.

Larry

Cut em.  30" if you ever use baltic birch which comes 5' X 5' sheets.  Otherwise you could go to 24".  If you ever need more capacity a circular saw or router with a straight edge can do it.  A track saw iffen ya have the $$$'s.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gasman1075

Thanks for the inputs I was leaning towards cutting them. I have always dreamed of having a Unisaw  with a good fence. My PM62 has served me well the last 40 years but was underpowered. Now to find a good home for it.

Thanks again. 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Thank You Sponsors!