iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing or lack there of

Started by chet, December 08, 2022, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I guess it's time to admit, my hearing ain't what is used to be. Lately 50% of da wife and my conversations are "what" "what did ya say" "i didn't hear you" "repeat"   :(

Thinking of trying one of them over the counter hearing aids. Any sugestions what to look for, or what to stay away from.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don P

Have you got a costco within a coupla hours? My wife just got back from going down to the city and having hers tuned up and groceries all under one roof. Thus far they have been great.

caveman

One thing that I recall when I attended one of @customsawyer 's projects, my first, was that there were a bunch of folks my age and older who were enjoying each other's company, standing around saying huh? what? eh? @Andries and a few other words indicating that something needed to be repeated louder.

Caveman

sawguy21

Having worn hearing aids for some time, years of not protecting my hearing have taken their toll and I have learned that one size does not fit all. Each of us has hearing loss in different ranges and need to be fitted accordingly. Mine is in the mid range, prolonged exposure to loud noises (yep), so the devices need to be tuned to that. The lower end units lower the levels to cover the whole spectrum but that is not what we need. Get your hearing analyzed by a qualified audiologist and get properly fitted, you won't regret it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TroyC

DonP is right! Try Costco, free exam, no pressure tactics. I went in for a new set a while back. They adjusted my old ones, said I did not need new ones. Yes, at Jake's I was one saying 'huh?'

Southside

Ya but if Andries was saying "Eh?" it wasn't because he didn't hear ya.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

I can barely understand non-southern English. When the folks from the glaciated north start talking faster than I can hear, I'm at a disadvantage.
Caveman

chet

I'm on the other end. When listening to dem slow talkin' Southerners, by the time they git done with a sentence I forgot what they were talkin' about.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Andries

"Hey there Andries, say some-tin', y'all sound sooo purdie!"
The way she said my name sounded like taking my clothes off. 

Not sure if the woodshed or the restricted topics is next.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Quote from: caveman on December 08, 2022, 09:50:22 PM. . . standing around saying huh? what? eh? @Andries and a few other words indicating that something needed to be repeated louder.
Hey now, I was just needing someone to translate, Kyle. The stories and experiences shared at the project were too good to miss. SS has a good point too, much as I hate to admit that. 
A while ago, At a family wedding in the Frisian Islands, in Holland, as the evening (and consumption) progressed, my Danish and Dutch got better by the hour. At the Project, the opposite seemed to be happening. Dunno. Mark me down as a tourist Kyle. 😁

But, all y'all hafta realize that Chet doesn't have a hearing issue, once he figures out how to speak/hear Southern.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

"Eh" is like the nervous tick of an entire nation😂

I always get a kick out of it when Canadians feel it necessary to let me know that they're from Canada. "See, I'm Canadian eh?" "I had no idea!"😁 

Outside of that, folks from Ontario and Manitoba probably don't sound much different than folks from my neck of the woods. Eh?😊

I've made a handful of good decisions in my life, one of which is always wearing earplugs around heavy equipment, loud tools and guns. It's not so much that I'm forward thinking, I'm just really sensitive to sound. 

However, I was in a heavy metal band for a few years and there was no ear protection there. I was still sensitive to noise but drowned it out with booze. So now I have tinnitus and some high frequency hearing loss because of that.

Too many irons in the fire

Iwawoodwork

About the Costco hearing aids, I now wear them,  for about ten years I used a local company and audiologist then one of the audiologist quit and later I saw him at Costco, we discussed the quality of hearing aids and the price ranges, top of the line Costo equal to the local company was about 1/2  cost at Costco and they have in house hearing testers and can do your hearing test to see what range of hearing loss and set your aid for that. They can also do the onsite tune ups of the hearing aids as was stated. A few months ago, I went into the store (Costco) and asked the hearing dept to turn up the volume a little and they said it would be a little while, so I did my shopping and returned, they had cleaned, added new inner ear mics (I have behind the ear style), the said have a nice day and no cost, that would not/did not happen at the local co. new mics were a charge. Do I like Costco hearing aids, yes.

jimbarry

Quote from: caveman on December 08, 2022, 10:47:35 PM
I can barely understand non-southern English. When the folks from the glaciated north start talking faster than I can hear, I'm at a disadvantage.
:D I've often told people this. Slow down your speaking, I can't hear that fast.

I've always worn hearing protection around tools and such. And like barbender, I'm sensitive to sound. Sometimes even driving nails with a framing hammer can have me reaching for earmuffs. An old timer ENT doc said to me 10 years ago that hearing protection will only protect your ear drum. The sound vibrations will still pass through your skull to damage your inner ear. 
Tinnitus. Like having a fire alarm go off in an adjoining room, but it stays with you where ever you go. Mine can phase into different tones and seemingly roll from one side of my head to another. 24/7. Louder in the evening it seems when daily life has settled down. I had my hearing tested about 6-7 years ago and got behind the ear units fitted, $6K. I mostly wear them when I know I am going to be in crowded rooms or conversations, that's about the only time they help. I told the wife the other day that if someone said I'd have to give up beer, pizza, meat and sugar to get rid of the tinnitus I'd probably do it. My wife on the other hand, can stand next to the firewood processor all day and still hear a fly fart across the lake. I'll never understand it.

chet

Thanks for your input so far. I was really hoping the concensus would be 'order these cheap ones online and be good to go'. ;D  May have to look into Costco, although I'm not a member and the nearest one is over 3 hours away. Sounds like this could be costly as my wife will need them too.

thecfarm

My FIL is cheap. And I do mean cheap. 
He tried those cheap ones. 
He wears the ones that cost more now.  ;)
He's very careful about getting rain in it. Even wears a ball cap sideways to keep the rain out of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Ha, I bet he looks gangsta!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

Its 2 hours from here, I'm still unloading the truck :D.  We had experience with the local audiologists and it is worth the drive, just link it up with other stuff. They cleaned and tuned up both while she shopped.

Magicman

I got my computer tunable ReSound aids several years, cost $4k.  No regrets.

It's said that women say twice as many words as men each day, because....

they have to repeat everything that they say to their husbands.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

I'm not cheap, but I hate ta part with my money. But, I also refuse ta wear my hat sideways.   :-\

thecfarm

The reason for the sideway hat is to keep the rain out.
He got some water in it once and had to pay to have it fixed. 
Did I say he was cheap? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

What does he do when the wind shifts direction? Switch the hat or walk backwards?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I have no idea.
All I know he is always right.

GAB

Having been born and raised in the glaciated north (USA) I wasn't born with a Southern Drawl Hearing Adjust Knob.
As an aside when the northern most North Americans were in the process of naming their country they put all the letters in a container and started drawing letters.
First up: C eh
Second up: N eh
Third up: D eh
That's it: CANADA.
enjoy,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

TroyC

MM, mine are Resounds also. Has an app on the phone for some minor adjustments. You got yours connected to a real computer adjustable program like the store uses?

Thank You Sponsors!