iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grubs on snow

Started by Old Dog, December 16, 2022, 09:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

We received a few inches of snow last night and this morning, there are quit a few grubs crawling on top.  I've seen them irregularly before but never in these numbers.  Any idea what they are?

Southside

Based on the evidence I would say they are a chicken version of ice cream with sprinkles. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I have never seen such a thing.
Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

X2 on never seeing that before. Can only imagine they're a little sluggish today  :D

Don P

@caveman, this has the makings of a insect whodunit!
What's growing around there as a host?

Did it rain before the snow and the water drove them up, then it turned to snow, or was it just snow? I'm trying to understand why they would have gone up into the freezer  ???

YellowHammer

That is bizarre.  A grub leaving the ground to bore up through freezing snow. A pretty bad decision for the grub.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

What is overhead? Any chance they were in some puny wood overhead that got cold and they dropped down instead of burrowing up through the snow?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Dog

Just crawling around on top of the snow they were - not fast, but steady! We collected several dozen and fed them to the girls.  Mostly sugar maple, hardhack and shagbark hickory around here but they were several hundred feet from the woodline in the mowed lawn and meadow.  I didn't check the woods.  It did not rain overnight but did warm up into the 30's with the snow.  The ground is not frozen.  I can only imagine the emerged from the ground with the warm-up.  Hopefully the overwintering bluebirds got a few of them!
It's supposed to keep snowing overnight - we'll see what we get in the morning!

KEC

Thanks for posting info on these things. I've seen them many times and wondered what in the heck they're doing out in cold weather. Those roving flocks of starlings are big on getting them on the lawn; saw them eating them a few days ago. I've picked them up and put them on my bird feeders and they dissappear fast. Old Dog, you're spoiling those hens, they stay in the henhouse and you gather the treats and deliver! :D  I had some robins foraging on the lawn recently and, I'll bet that they were dining on the grubs.

SawyerTed

Thank the Man Upstairs this isn't a recipe or food thread!! :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

As soon as this gets figured out it belongs in the "Did you know" thread. :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

If there are a lot of them, I would suggest you let the chickens out for a "fast food" lunch!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

Be careful Chucks' bobcat doesn't get the hens when you let them out !

Thank You Sponsors!