iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exterior finish suggestions

Started by kkcomp, December 31, 2022, 09:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

Building a shed with SYP lap siding. Looking for suggestions for a finish that is not paint. It may only be pine but the grain is too nice to hide. 
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Dakota

I spray all my pine out buildings with BLO(boiled linseed oil) mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits.  I spray them every 2-3 years.
Dave Rinker

Southside

Go with a high quality solid colored stain then a latex paint over that with the same color.  The grain will show through and durability will be amazing.  A professional painter who buys my lap siding turned me onto that trick and he was right.  I have done that in our milking parlor and there is zero peel, pop, wear, multiple years later. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

This is what we've used on our kilns. 
 We have made some stain/coating (you may find it doing a search for Uncle Larry's wood stain) out of 10 parts mineral spirits, 1-2 parts roofing tar, 1 part boiled linseed oil.  

We've also used diesel and burnt motor oil but the burnt motor oil stinks for a long time.
Caveman

scsmith42

For years, Sikkens Cetol was considered to be the best stain finish on the market.  It is now sold in the USA as PPG Prolux.

For a clear finish, General Finishes Exterior 450 is pretty darn good.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

azmtnman

I've used Cabots Australian Timber Oil with good results. I have a deck built with untreated lumber that I apply ATO to about every other year. I think that's pretty good for the Arizona sun at 6500' with mountain winters.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

kkcomp

Well I went with Cabots semi transparent deck stain because the boss wanted a color. Overall I am pretty happy with the results since it is my first project to go from felling to milling to assembly and the only plans I had were in my head. 
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Daburner87

I used Ready Seal for my deck, mailbox post, hand rails and more around the house.  Fool proof stain, and has held up great after 3 years.  For my deck(pressure treated) I stained it twice.  I did it one day, and did it again the next day.  It has held up great, but I can't recall why I did it twice.   Everything else I did just once and it looks the same.  This brand here...    I'll probably stain it again next spring and hopefully I'll have a spray gun by then.  I would use this stuff on outdoor furniture etc...  In fact when I get around to those adirondack chairs I plan to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIVY5OO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Thank You Sponsors!