iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 500i

Started by Harperfarms, January 02, 2023, 02:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harperfarms

Thinking of buying a Stihl 500i chainsaw. Been waiting to see if they were going to be dependable. Have a Husky 562 and 372 now. Used for logging and firewood. Will I be happy with the 500i ?

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Harperfarms on January 02, 2023, 02:56:52 AM
Thinking of buying a Stihl 500i chainsaw. Been waiting to see if they were going to be dependable. Have a Husky 562 and 372 now. Used for logging and firewood. Will I be happy with the 500i ?
I've got a couple husky saws myself a 55 and 371. I'm thinking real hard on the 500 as well. Yellowhammer on here has one along with several other models and in another thread gave some real good insights on it. Basically he is very happy with it and that's the saw he goes for. I asked him on power between that and the 661 and he said that it's pretty close. I hardly use my 55. I use the 371 for everything and the 500 is basically about the same weight as the 371/372 but the power of the 500 with the same weight would be eye opening fantastic I'm thinking

Woodfarmer

I have 3 of them now. Excellent saws. I've been selling off all my old iron. Bought the first one in Jan 20, and add one a year.
I'm 95% hardwood and use the 25" light bar. I'll pop a 32" on if I have a very large tree to cut.
Definitely lighter then the 046/066's I replaced. Doesn't have the low end grunt of a 066 but it also isn't expected too.
Don't notice much weight difference with the 2171's either but it cuts much faster.
If you start watching YouTube or visiting other sites, there are a lot of people saying that the filter system is bad and let's fines through. I have just not experienced that issue. I think some just need an excuse to go buy an aftermarket filter system.

YellowHammer

I agree and these guys sum it up pretty good.  I don't own any Husky's, all Stihls so can't compare to them.  I've had a fair amount of Stihl's for 40 years, and the 500i is the best pro saw I've owned.  The closest range I can compare these to is the Stihl 661 that I still have and the 440 Magnum and 362CE that I used to have.  The 500i blows the cutting speed of the 440 and 362 away, and is comparable, not quite as fast, to the drop speed through a log of the 661 with noticeably less weight, and a lot easier starting, running 3/8 Stihl Rapid Super Yellow chains on both.  From a "user experience" and with the two saws sitting next to each other on the shop floor, I never pick up the 661, and as I write this, I'm thinking I need to run it soon, just to keep the carbs clean.

So real life, the 500i will never dead cold start until 3rd or 4rth pull, (my 661 was a 3 to 6 pull start cold) but unlike the 661 which can sometimes get up to a half dozen pulls or more cold, the 500i will always start cold 3rd to 4rth pull, even the other day when I tried it for kicks at 9°F.  When it's hot or warm, it will always start 1st pull, I can't even remember last time it didn't.  I pump the primer bulb 10 or so times when I'm walking up to the log when its cold, and don't pump when it's hot.  If it's been sitting for awhile and in the not hot/not cold range, I'll pump it a few times for luck, and it will first pull start.

It really needs a full length pull on the starter rope when cold, it's trying to get fuel though the fuel injectors so "short stroking" cold won't work.  However, when it's hot, a half hearted pull is about all it takes.  I used to idle my saws a lot when bucking logs because I didn't wan't to restart them, but now I'll just just turn it it off if it's going to be a few minutes to get another log, and give it a half pull to start it again.  So for starting hot, it's a non event.

I run all my saws with sometimes ethenol and sometimes not ethanol pump gas (Yeah, I know, I know) and Stihl silver oil.  My dealer made sure I got the Stihl 2 year warranty on the saw, even though it is rated for less if it's used for professionals.  Since I'm not a professional logger, even though it's a pro saw, I got the longest warranty.  However, it's never been to the shop in 18 months or so and the warranty is about up anyway.

I use the Stihl light 28 inch bar because it's extremely well balanced with that.  It was not as balanced with the standard 28" bar.  It will bury the 28" bar and not care.  

Anyway, a picture is worth a 1,000 words, I made a video of me touching up my chain and then bucking thorough some big, dry, hard as a rock, pecan logs with it.  Pecan is probably close to the hardest wood we have here.  Most all the logs were larger than my 28" bar, the biggest was 40" I guess.  So you can see what it will do in with full width bar cuts through rock hard wood.  It was fast enough that I even commented about it on the video, and of maybe equal importance, you'll notice that I'm dropping the saw through the log, I'm almost not even using the dogs.  In other words, I'm not fighting the saw, it wants to cut.  I was bucking some big poplar with it yesterday day, and it just dropped through them like butter.  I'm am not a pro logger or firewood guy, so I use it for hours at time, not days at a time like they would, but I do use it quite a bit, pretty much every day or so.

During break in, the onboard system limits power for the first half dozen tanks of fuel, as far as I can tell.  It's still noticeably fast out of the box, but when the computer releases the throttle after the muffler turns blue, then it's really a big dog.

Here's the video.  Remember, dry, hard pecan and I was still smiling at the end of it.

How to Sharpen Your Chainsaw Like a Pro (#1 Way) - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Harperfarms

ehp

Any of the new 400 or 462 and 500 you should be very happy with .   They are great saws

OldTimbercutter

It's a beast! I have been cutting timber with a 500 for a year. It's my favorite saw in 35 years of logging.
Its light has all the power you need and Its tough and reliable. 
The breather reviews concerned me but it stays cleaner than any saw I have owned other than its little brother the 462 which I have and also like. 
But I grab the 500 the most. Has a bit more power and feels sturdier in the hands.
I dont baby my saws. But take care of them.
Keep her sharp, filler up and put it on the ground .
You will love the 500 !
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

Skeans1

It's been a good saw the last two years of running as far as filters go it could be better for Doug fir bark and the springs are on the weak side for a longer bar. Mine is normally running a 32 or 36 to gain the reach I need for the size of stuff we're in a good share of the time. 

https://youtu.be/TNpfSpr0Uk8

230Dforme

Good afternoon 
That is a great photo of you and saw
You should have one framed
Heck, I might have one framed 😁
Very cool

Hogdaddy

I always was a husky guy, I never could get a stihl to stay together. Screws were always vibrating loose. But, when I started back into logging full time 3 years ago, the husky dealer had changed hands and they were terrible. So, I decided to try a stihl. Started with a 462, which is a good saw, just lacked some power. Bought a 500i about a year ago and have been throughly impressed. I run a 28" in hardwood and it does great. Love the way it feels and handles.  smiley_thumbsup
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Walnut Beast

Great Video Yellowhammer!! 

barbender

I've had plenty of screws back out on my Huskys and Jonsereds.
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Another good video YH.
Pecan is unknown up here, and I wondered just how hard and heavy it might be. During the video, while you were taking blocks off the ends, the tractor tires bounced up when the block fell off. The camera showed a noticeable bounce. 😲 Wow, there's some weight there!
The Stihl "two in one" sharpener became my preferred sharpening method soon after they showed up on the dealer's shelf. With this sharpener, a chain stays on the bar until it's life is about finished. It's well worth the $ for anyone wondering about picking up this tool. 
Looks like a beautiful saw, but I might have to wait until the MS 600 gets worn out. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  Dry pecan makes rock maple feel soft.

The funny thing is that this last Saturday a guy came to buy some of those end cuts and I told him $10 if he loaded them, and $30 if I did it, because I didn't want to mess with them. :D :D  So he says he will get one or two, and he does a weightlifters style lift and gets one about 6 inches off the ground, gives off a weightlifters grunt and drops it.  Trying not to laugh, I said that's why I charge 3 times extra for me to load them, and it won't be by hand, it will be with hydraulics.  It's heavy as lead.  

When I was making the video, I worried that the saw would look slow because of the pecan, but it looks like it's at a decent pace.   
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

barbender

Andries, I like that 2 in 1 sharpener for in the field, too. As of late I've been lazy and just using the bench saw grinder though😊

Andries

Well now BB, here's where I get to brag about how much of a slacker I can be.
I use the 2in1 all the time, it gives a sweet smooth sharpening and because it saves me from having to take the chain off the saw for the bench grinder. Ever. 
 Yep, that lazy . . 
Anyone need a used bench grinder? 😉
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

Andries you might want to hang on to it for when you get a dedicated slabber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Does anybody run the Stihl Hexa chain. Some loggers say it cuts better and stays sharper longer. Takes a special file.

https://youtu.be/VShcOoh1ug4

thecfarm

I ran Sthil yellow chains on my huskys. I can bring it back much quicker when I hit a rock with it.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Andries, I am like electricity- I always take the path of least resistance. I told my bride yesterday I finally figured out why I have had so little ambition lately- I'm on wife support😁 She had went back to school, got her degree and landed a great job. So she's the main breadwinner right now, I play out in my woodyard enough to make enough money so I don't have to ask her for any😊 All of that said, I don't think you can "out-slack" me, I'm slacker than a pushed rope😂

Walnut Beast

The price is insane on EBay for the 500 and they are selling. One sold that I was watching for 1,785 and a couple on now for 1,850+. Everybody got me drinking the Stihl kool-Aid 😂. So I went to the dealer and they only had one that was in the box in back. I said get it to check out. Feather lite and some real eye candy! While I was there somebody called and wanted one and the guy said it's getting sold. It's on hold with another little one. I said more than likely I will get them. No lite bars! These guys sell a bunch of stuff but nobody seems to buy them around here and I wanted one

ehp

keep looking , you should be able to find a 500i for $1450 or so in your money , Up here now that dealers are getting 500i on their shelves some are dropping the price on hew saws cause no one is spending money now up here 

Walnut Beast

Ehp and Yellowhammer you guys are a bad influence with all your good information! I especially appreciate the both of your in-depth feedback on the 500. And everybody else's opinions! Brought home two Stihl chainsaws the 500 and a little one.  We will see if it can run as good as the Husky 371😂

ehp

they are a good saw , I know I like mine , they run good no matter the weather which cannot be said for lots of the others . The 500i will crush the 371 and if it does not take it back to the dealer cause they should not be close in power and the longer the bar the better the 500i should shine

YellowHammer

Did you get the light bar?
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!