iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You're buying a new truck, what you gotta have?

Started by livemusic, January 09, 2023, 03:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I need an everyday truck, mine is about worn out. A 1/2 ton, maybe a 3/4 ton. At my age, might be my last. I hate the inflated prices and dealer profit as much as anyone but it is what it is and I can't wait hardly any longer. Price is usually a factor and it still is, but I'm not afraid to spend more than normal on this truck. What features would you want? At this point, I have not chosen a brand nor a model. Things that come to mind for me...

4wd
crew cab
short bed is fine, even preferred
great a/c
'more' towing capacity a plus
good riding all-terrain tires, not road tires
good sound system (I like music)
cd player if I can get it
Sirius/XM radio a plus
backup camera(s)
do not want it 'jacked up,' getting old
adjustable suspension a plus
electric windows
cruise control
keyless entry a plus
remote start a plus
toolboxes / storage a plus
drop down tailgate (ease of entry is good)
bumper tow hooks
front winch a plus
fabric seats are ok
probably gasoline (never had a diesel)
has to look good, lol (I know that is subjective)

Some of this is not absolutely necessary.

Probably a full size 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, i.e., not something like a Chevy Colorado or Nissan Frontier.

I don't want to have to climb in the truck, so, lifted or tall tires or whatever that makes a truck taller is a negative. If I can get in it without effort, any of that is fine. I am plenty active and athletic but it will go downhill from here and my knees and back are bad.

All of the fancy bells and whistles are not necessary but I will probably have to take some because of bundling. I like geewhiz stuff, yes, but it's not totally necessary. What have you found to be a must or is there any feature you have seen that you really like?

Also... if you have an opinion... does a modern 4wd 3/4 ton drive rougher on the highway than a 1/2 ton? I might do quite a bit of traveling.
~~~
Bill

realzed

I went looking, after my son bought a new truck - for a model with heated steering wheel and seats..
Couldn't believe up here in Canada how hard it was to find a model moderately priced, with those options - considering our long and cold Winters!
For those of you in the USA - probably not a deal breaker - but up here it certainly was going to be for me - from the very first time my old arthritic hands and saggy butt drove my son's for the first time - the quest was on past that point! 

GAB

Even with what they call 4 wheel drive I want and have differential lock.
Rear window defog is nice.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sawguy21

What do you plan to use it for? Are you towing a larger trailer or hauling a slide in camper? If so 3/4 ton is a must, 1 ton is better. I have been driving a Ram 2500HD, a derated 3500 for tax and licensing purposes for years and don't want anything less. The ride is firm but comfortable and with the diesel it will pull anything I need to move. I just wish it had power mirrors and cruise control.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

livemusic

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 09, 2023, 05:06:06 PM
What do you plan to use it for? Are you towing a larger trailer or hauling a slide in camper? If so 3/4 ton is a must, 1 ton is better. I have been driving a Ram 2500HD, a derated 3500 for tax and licensing purposes for years and don't want anything less. The ride is firm but comfortable and with the diesel it will pull anything I need to move. I just wish it had power mirrors and cruise control.
First, I just need an all-around truck for everyday stuff and also some long distance trips. Second, there is a possibility I will continue to sell firewood and tow capacity can come in handy. All of this might change due to my age, I might slow down on that stuff. I pull a trailer loaded with firewood. (I really can get by with a 1/2 ton for this; my current truck is 2wd and really, all I have needed is 4wd on occasion.) Also might pull a travel trailer. Ideally, one would have two trucks -- an everyday 1/2 ton truck and then a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for RV stuff. But my current truck is not much of a backup because it is worn out. And the RV stuff is just a possibility, so, I can't buy for that, as it's not a definite plan. At this time, a 'beefy' 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is what I am leaning towards. But it's nice to have feedback on features people really like. Mentioned above is locking differential, heated steering wheel/seat, rear window defogger... that type of thing is worth jotting down to consider. Just last week, I got stuck hauling firewood out and I got out with a come-along and a chain but I was real lucky to have a big log to tie to, else, I would have had to walk out. A 4wd would have never gotten stuck in that situation, I know how to drive in mud AND even locking differential might have gotten me out, as my truck does not have that!
~~~
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

If your towing less than 10k lbs and not doing it daily any new 1/2 ton truck will do that with ease.

Crusarius

Remote start!!!!!

I keep saying I would trade the heated seats for a heated steering wheel but I think I would miss the heated seats.

I am going to say I am not really brand loyal. I have an F-150 that I absolutely love. When it comes times to replace it I will very seriously look at the F-150 again.

I have 5 jeeps 2, dodges, and a toyota. just to show you how brand loyal I am not :)

thecfarm

I use to work in a hardware store.
I found out most new trucks are hard to load a 50# bag of grain into because of the height of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

livemusic

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2023, 06:00:33 PM
I use to work in a hardware store.
I found out most new trucks are hard to load a 50# bag of grain into because of the height of them.
You just identified my main beef with modern trucks. After, say, 2015 or thereabouts. They have increased the overall size and it's ridiculous. Especially height. Most any truck is 4-6 inches taller. The real jacked up ones are way taller. I hate it. We did just fine for decades with what they were before. And the price has gone through the roof, it's out of hand.
~~~
Bill

Corley5

I don't think CD players are available anymore. Backup cameras are required by federal law.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

moodnacreek

If it was me I would want radio and heater. Standard shift also. :D

Ljohnsaw

I really don't know all the specs (height/width/length) but I put down my $100 to be placed on the wait list on a Cyber truck.  They are all wheel drive with no need for locking diffs.  Cargo and tow capacity is better than 1 ton trucks.  What price range are you thinking?  The new trucks are ridiculous!  You're looking at $85k+ these days.  Don't know what they will eventually sell for by the "loaded" version I signed up for was $69k.  I have solar and will charge from my house or cabin so fuel normally will be free.  Maintenance is virtually zero.  I heard people really like the electric F150 but I think those are over 100k if you have more than basics.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

dogone

I bought a new f150 seven years ago. Just last month found I had adjustable pedal and throttle position.I also have a knob on dash to help you back up. Never needed either one so maybe you can save money not having them included. I broke the backup camera several years ago and do occasionally miss it. 

Walnut Beast

Like said. A remote start! Electric windows . You might say you don't need them but when you do and you need a window down on passenger side you will wish you had them. 

Patrick NC

In 2020 I moved up to a 3/4 ton from a half ton. The 2 things I miss are the smooth ride and lower bed height. It's a 2500 ram crew cab short bed 4x4. Ride is best with about 1500 pounds in the back. Part is tires. Half tons come with P rated tires like most suvs and cars. 3/4 tons come with much stiffer LT tires which on their own contribute to a  rougher ride, let alone the much bigger springs. It's not terrible,  but if I didn't need the towing capacity I'd be in a 1500.
As for height, it's ridiculous. Had to put nerf bars with steps so the wife could get in and out easily.  Tailgate height is a few inches above my belt.(I'm 6'3") this truck is not lifted with factory tires and barely fits under the 7' high pole at most car washes.  Don't get me wrong,  I love my 2500. Just being honest if it helps you make a decision 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Crusarius

Everything on the road has been american sized. looks at the tacoma. used to be a mini truck now its midsize.

GRANITEstateMP

lever activated 4wd, with lsd or locking diff
Fog lights
tow package w 4 and 7 pin connector
cold weather package
2 batterys
heated tow mirrors
outdoor temp gauge
good armrest 
a good oil undercoat
hillbilly proof floor (think rubber vs white carpet)
real good extended warranty, the factor kind I prefer

I am getting soft in my old age, so I'd want power locks, remote start, radio controls on the wheel, and a goodsized b/u display. Oh, and if it can do the blueteeth thing so I can listen to my books on the tablet through the truck speakers, thats pretty great too. And, cab lights, cause I like em!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

21incher

Well the last couple years I have been through a F350 XLT super duty,  Silverado 1500 LTZ, and now a 22 Ford Ranger Lariat. They all have their uses. All 4x4s.
 The F350 super cab 8 ft bed could Cary 4k pounds in the Bed and pull a big trailer but it rode like crap empty,  averaged 10.5 mpg, had a really big turning radius, and had to heavy a gvw for some roads.
 The Silverado 1500 Crew cab short bed was junk and had serious frame rust in less then 2 years. It was comfortable,  had a 9k tow rating, 1400 pound load rating, fairly large turning radius, averaged 18 mpg, and could have been my favorite truck if GM did the tsb for rusting frames they scheduled.  Turned out it was too bad the cab and bed needed to be removed pushing the cost too high so they refused to do the tsb in the end and the dealer bought it back.
 So last year we needed 2 new vehicles. Was easy to order a Subaru Forester from Japan for my wife. But when I started truck shopping nothing affordable was available in a F150 or Tundra. They were all going to be in the mid 60s and up with tax and warranty.  I started looking smaller and decided to try a Ranger. My dealer had one in que so I put my name on it without even driving one. I got a Crew Cab Lariat that is loaded. Has an e locker, trailer package, and everything else but a heated steering wheel, sun roof, and cooled seats. It is my favorite truck ever. Comfortable ride, great handling,  7500 pound tow rating, 1600 pound load rating, and averages 23mpg on regular.  Never thought I would go smaller then a 1500 but in reality it meets all my needs, the insurance is about half of what the Chevy was because of all the safety features,  and it's so easy to park and maneuver tight spaces. Pulls my small dump trailer as good as the 1500 did. Only problem is it's black and shows dirt.
 In the end I am glad that I really considered all my needs this time instead of wants. Got out the door with tax, plates, fees, and 8 year zero deductible warranty for $49.800. A comparable F150 would have been $69000 out the door. I wouldn't buy a new truck built during the pandemic without a warranty.
Here it is getting firewood. My perfect truck for this stage of life and the grandkids fit nice in the back seats.Plus met requirements for passenger plates so I can use all roads.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

Air conditioning ventilation seats 😂. Don't knock it till y'all try it. Get the truck loaded up 

DWyatt

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on January 09, 2023, 08:10:55 PM
lever activated 4wd, with lsd or locking diff
Fog lights
tow package w 4 and 7 pin connector
cold weather package
2 batterys
heated tow mirrors
outdoor temp gauge
good armrest
a good oil undercoat
hillbilly proof floor (think rubber vs white carpet)
real good extended warranty, the factor kind I prefer

I am getting soft in my old age, so I'd want power locks, remote start, radio controls on the wheel, and a goodsized b/u display. Oh, and if it can do the blueteeth thing so I can listen to my books on the tablet through the truck speakers, thats pretty great too. And, cab lights, cause I like em!
You just summarized everything I will be looking for in a truck in 6 months or so. Saved me a lot of typing on my suggestion. I don't want the bells and whistles. I want to listen to the podcasts on my phone through the speakers, a vinyl floor and leather seats. Forget about the heated seats, I want the cooled seats. 

Walnut Beast

Why do you think you need lever activated 4wd ?

barbender

Ponsse equipment come with a very nice heated and cooled operator's seat, they are very nice.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Most trucks with a "lever shift 4x4" still use electronics to control front axle engagement. This isn't the days of lever transfer case and manual locking hubs (unless you have a 3/4 or 1 ton ford).

Stoneyacrefarm

I bought a new Silverado 3500 in 2020. 
Regular cab and 8' bed. 
Took the bed off and put a flat bed on it. 
It has the 2LT package in it. 
That includes remote start. 
Heated seats. 
Heated steering wheel and power windows. 
I wouldn't trade it for the world. 
The comfort features are awesome. 
I'm not going back. 
In 2020 it was 46k. 
Expensive. But reasonable bu todays standards. 
Get the options. 
You won't regret it. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

wkf94025

I ordered an F350 CC SB Powerstroke 6.7L a year ago.  5 month wait.  LOVE the truck.  1050# of torque, so I can haul 11,000# of skidsteer + attachments on 20ft flat trailer, or a bunch of big logs.  Heated seats and steering wheel, remote start and entry, and a gazillion other niceties.  I had the bed-liner sprayed, and added a bomber lumber rack and saddle tool box.  All in maybe $80k, but at 3% interest, so quite happy.

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Thank You Sponsors!