iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Family of five Canada Lynx

Started by woodroe, January 20, 2023, 08:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodroe

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

sawguy21

8) That is unusual, good thing they had the camera handy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

newoodguy78

samandothers

We have a bob cat that we caught on the Ring Camera a time or two at night.  About 2 months ago we were eating breakfast and it went trotting down the driveway, did not have a camera.  It is wonderful to see God's creatures.

Thanks for sharing the picture and video.  

peakbagger

At one point Lynx were claimed to be critical threatened species in Maine and various groups were pushing for restrictions on forestry. In order to do that, there had to be studies done. Once the studies got started, they started finding more and more lynx and also discovered that Lynx like logging cuts as their primary food, snowshoe hares tend to follow and multiply in the cuts and most lynx that were tracked were living in or near the cuts and breeding prolifically since the food supply was good. After few years there were not a lot of traction for restricting logging. I think the folks with the biggest impact are trappers as it is hard to set a bobcat trap that will exclude a lynx. 

KEC

The people who are opposed to trapping have been using the lynx issue to try and get more restrictions on trapping for some time. They push for restrictions on coyote and fisher trapping in spite of the fact that fisher are known to kill lynx. And it won't matter how much the lynx increase in numbers; the anti- trappers will want them kept on the endangered species list.

SwampDonkey

Hey pretty cool, never seen a family together, but seen a few lynx over the years. Saw bobcat about 3 weeks ago along the 4-lane in the dead grass looking or a mouse. Haven't seen one in 45 years.

I see lynx often out in Deersdale, full of plantations, thinned ground with spacing saws and clear cuts. One was at the end of the field sunning himself by a snow bank 4 years ago. I took a photo and posted it on the forum back them. Lots of river otters around here to. I see them in the local creeks. They hunt beavers, they can have all they can eat. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

Some amazing trail cam video of Canada Lynx(s) in western maine mountains.
Up close even licking the camera .

Canada lynx caught on camera in western Maine - YouTube

SwampDonkey

They sure like that lake area don't they? :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Very nice, thanks. When they yell, must be looking for the others. 
I'm one to leave ALL the slash in the woods. The deer won't eat all the new growth, like they do when all the slash is chipped.
20 lb, maybe. They look good and healthy. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Texas Ranger

Jerry Clower called 'em souped up bobcats.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

I LOVE that story and I still have most of it memorized. "KNOCK 'IM OUT JOOOHNNN!"  :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

They've tried pulling the same thing up here with Lynx. Endangered species. The fact of the matter, is that we are on the extreme edge of their territory so their numbers will always be few.

Interestingly, 2 different friends have got pictures of Lynx on logging jobs in the last couple of weeks. They don't seem to be skittish like bobcats at all. In both cases, they were the first Lynx these guys had seen.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Here's a picture one of them took of a lynx. Right on the landing, they were sitting in the pickup.

Another one of my buddies always seems to end up on the "wolf jobs". He posts so many pictures and videos of wolves by his machine we all kinda get bored with it😊 Honestly, if he didn't have the videos and just told me how many wolves he sees, I'd think he was a BS'er🤷

This same guy had another neat experience this winter. He had 2 bull moose hanging around his job. One morning he noticed one of them was missing a paddle, the next day he brought snowshoes and backtracked from where he saw it and found the antler! Pretty cool👍

Walnut Beast

woodroe

Saw this video awhile back of two Lynx in a possible territorial dispute . Pretty cool
wild critters. Like Barbender said, not skittish 
Lots of vocalization:
Watch a pair of lynx face off in Maine - YouTube

barbender

I've watched a few of those lynx vocalization/face off videos. The kids and me like to watch them, we get a good chuckle out of them. Not at all the sound I would expect those cats to make, it sounds like a couple of drunk women trying to sound like angry cats or something😂

SwampDonkey

My experience to, Lynx aren't all that scared of you.

I think I now know who the Dungarvin Whooper is. That lynx. I was lead to believe it was the ghost of a lumber camp cook. :D :D

customsawyer

Barbender that was not the sound I was expecting to hear. Of course it's no wonder, their vocal cords are probably froze.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

Glacier National Park Could Be a Refuge for Canada Lynx
National Parks Traveler, March 19, 2023
Glacier National Park, famous for its mountain goats and grizzly bears, holds a surprising number of Canada lynx and could prove to be a climate refugia for the cats, according to researchers. "Glacier National Park is one of the few, large, protected areas located within Canada lynx range in the contiguous United States, and therefore a potentially important lynx stronghold within the Northern Rockies lynx recovery unit," noted researchers from Washington State University who used remote sensing cameras to document the cats from 2018-2021.
The E-Forester
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I saw that bobcat again today, along the fence of the 4-lane. The one I mentioned back in January. I believe it was 3 miles from where I first saw. But it had a long time to travel to. I never see them so it has to be the one.

Thank You Sponsors!