iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workbench hold downs

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 18, 2023, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Wondering what kind of work bench hold downs you are using.

I'm going to redo an old workbench top hoping to add new hold down holes.

Does anybody like this one?
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/veritas-bench-hold-down
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jeeper9574

Those look nice but I have never used them.

I have the Gramercy Tools hold downs and have been happy with them. I glued a small piece of leather under the foot to prevent marring of the workpiece and add a little extra grip.
Holdfasts by Gramercy Tools

Crusarius

I have never used those, but I have become a very big fan of t-tracks. I have made all sorts of different custom clamps to hold stuff while working with my CNC.

I have also seen youtube videos of ppl modifying bar clamps to lock into the t-track.

21incher

I have been using the Armor Tool auto clamps and love them. 
https://armor-tool.com/products/woodworking/clamping/dog-clamps/
Not old-school but are perfect for my needs.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

terrifictimbersllc

Is it easy to interchange the posts on these? Do they thread in? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

21incher

I took a pic of mine. The posts can be changed.  They come with 3/4 hole size posts and 20mm festool replacements are available.  They just screw off. They will clamp up to about  7inches and they automatically adjust. The clamping force is adjustable with a little knob. Many sell them with their label such as Grizzley, Rockler,  and woodcraft. They have been very handy.

The ridges on the posts are not threads, they are to keep them from slipping up. Like an little grab rib.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

I recently made a new workbench with 3/4" dog holes.  This thread reminded me I needed some kind of holdfasts.  I spy a stick of 3/4" hot rolled in the material rack....shouldn't take long. :D  A little research found that most are 5/8" for 3/4" holes.  So....I have a metal lathe....shouldn't take long.  I sat up the lathe to give me a rough cut and reduced my 3/4" rod by 1/16".

Got to thinking after I put the curve in them that I could forge a flat spot on the end....shouldn't take long.  Contact cemented a tough wool pad to the flat spot.

This is the result and they work pretty good! :)

I'm sure it would have been most cost effective if I had just ordered a set from Gramercy but what fun is that?  I got to spend a few hours in the shop making stuff. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crusarius

Those came out really nice. Good job.

Thank You Sponsors!