iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curious band behavior

Started by John357, February 09, 2023, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John357

I've had 2 bands do this within an hour, and wonder if anyone else has seen it.  The band comes off the idle wheel, and then bunches up in front of the first guide block.  The band rises in front of the block to about 5 inches, and then doubles back on itself, still in line with the blocks adn still on the drive wheel.   Band comes off in front of the idle wheel.  

Guide blocks are all adjusted recently, newer belts, the second band was new.  I suspect the drive belt might be too loose, I can deflect it with my finger about only 1/4 inch (spec) or 1/2 inch.  Was adjusted last summer, not much milling for me since then, but maybe it stretched out a little and is causing this.  

I'm running the Woodland Mills HM126, standard 10* blades from Woodland Mills, cutting Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus) 12 inches wide; so, no trouble there.   
Any thoughts appreciated. 

John

Woodland Mills HM126

Southside

I am not familiar with the guide blocks that your mill uses but couple things come to mind when a band comes off the wheels.  What is the condition of the drive belt that the band rides on?  What about the other side?  When belts wear the band will contact the drive wheel and break, fall off, push back, etc.  What is the tension setting on your band?  A loose band, or one heating up will expand and fall off too.  Just a couple of things to look at.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KenMac

It seems that I remember something about over lubrication was causing some similar issues. Search may find these posts.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!