iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440D winch

Started by DJake, January 31, 2023, 07:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJake

Same winch, different problem. Blew out the piston in the brake band cylinder which obviously destroyed the springs. Replaced springs but couldn't hold a hitch. Thinking the band may be shot replaced it.  Same result. The winch pulls fine but just won't hold. Thanks to BargeMonkey I've got the measurements (4 11/16 spring tension, .020-.060 on freespool bolt) 

So it seems to me that the eyebolt should be in a certain distance to help create enough tension on the band for it to contact the drum and then hold. I tried to adjust the special nut when it's in release position but it seemed that the spring pressure keeps the nut from turning.  It shouldn't be this difficult, I'm thinking that I'm missing something simple.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you. 

teakwood

on my 540A which is the same setup you need to adjust the brakeband pretty tight or it will slip. when released you can barely freespool the cable by hand. the rest is brakeforce when in hold position
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

DJake

Yes. That sounds right but what's the proper way to tighten up the band? When it's in release position the spring tension prevents the special nut from being adjusted (which should tighten the band). 

tacks Y

Not knowing anything about your winch..... are you sure the threads under the spring holder are not galled up? They do not look good above it.

DJake

The threads are good, as well as the threads in the special nut. That's just a bit of extra anti seize. 

Grandpa

I've always adjusted that nut in the hold position, then freespool to check. 

The eyebolt only releases the brake, the springs tighten the band.

You don't say what you put in but I've heard that some aftermarket bands do not hold the way they should.

Just a few suggestions.

DJake

Got it!   I had to modify my custom 7/8 wrench to get it to fit the special nut while in the hold position.  It only took a half turn and it holds the hitch real well now. Thanks Grandpa! 

Grandpa

You're welcome.  Happy to help when I can. :)

Yeah, JD skidders take a lot of modified wrenches, I have a whole box full of them.

BargeMonkey

Good 👍 they are finicky to set but when you do finally get them. 

Thank You Sponsors!