iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log end sealer

Started by Shawn, November 29, 2005, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Where can I find Anchorseal Locally ( SE Michigan)? I have some kilz water based latex sealer-primer-stain protection. Can I use that?
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Ga_Boy

Shawn,

Not sure about local, but you can use the internet and log on to:

http://www.uccoatings.com

These guys have Anchorseal and will ship to your door.  You will have it in 3-5 days.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Paschale

Hi Shawn,

Not sure where Brownston is in Michigan, but you can buy Anchorseal at Johnson's in Charlotte.  They also have a branch in South Bend, IN and Grand Rapids, MI.

http://www.theworkbench.com/index.php
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Engineer

Buy the Anchorseal direct from UC Coatings online. 

KILZ isn't enough - it's a shellac based coating that's too thin to do any good.  Anchorseal is a thick wax emulsion that does an excellent job of preventing end checks and cracks.

I have a piece of box elder in my shop, half of a 16" diameter log, that I coated with Anchorseal within ten minutes of me cutting it from the tree.  That log was frozen solid and saturated wet.  It's been over a year and there are no checks or cracks in it at all.  The moisture content is down to 12%.

srjones

Another thing you might try if you just need a little (a quart or gallon) is
Rockler's "Green Wood End Sealer"

It too is a wax based emulsion.  Rockler has a store in Detriot...does that count as SE MI? ???

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

solodan

I've never tried it, but I hear Henry's roofing tar works great if you have nothing else. You can buy that stuff at any hardware store.

Dan_Shade

one nice thing about the anchorseal is it dries clear, so you can see the rings to help you saw, if you use paint, you can't see where the center of the log is.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ed_K

Anyone use the 1 gal pump spray can, to put the anchorseal on? And how is it for winter use?
Ed K

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I finally got tired of the fuss and mess of end coating. :(

I keep two five gallon plastic pails with the typical snap-down lids.
One stores a thick nap roller in a half inch or less of water.
The other contains several inches of end seal

Anytime I have ends to roll, I just pop my tops and roll em.
If I am about to do a lot of logs, I just add a good bit more
seal to the pail.   

This is quick and never requires clean-up, other than wiping
the edge of the seal pail before putting on its lid.   The roller has
been in use for over a year - never cleaned out or bothered with.
No muss.  No fuss.  (Plus the pails are everywhere free, such as
sheet rock mud pails, paint pails, roof coating, etc.)   ::)

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

CHARLIE

You can add antifreeze to Anchorseal if it's going to be kept outside in the frigid winter.

You can also buy a Green Wood End Grain Sealer at any Woodcraft store. It is also a wax emulsion.

One thing I noticed is........rain will cause end grain sealer to wash off.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Shawn

Quote from: srjones on November 29, 2005, 03:14:12 PM
Another thing you might try if you just need a little (a quart or gallon) is Rockler's "Green Wood End Sealer"

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=1178

It too is a wax based emulsion.  Rockler has a store in Detriot...does that count as SE MI? ???

Yes, Detroit is SE Michigan. If you have not made a trip to the automotive capital of the world, you are truely missing out!!!

Frank_Pender

I use an end sealer made out here in Oregon.  It is put oput by ACI (Associated Chemists, Inc.).   They are major suppliers of coatins for sawmills producing dimensional lumber, etc..  Their number is 1-800-554-4666.  Ask to speak to Grant and tell him I sent you.  He may just raise the price. ;D
Frank Pender

Shawn

Not to be cheap or anything, but what about polyurethane? Clear sealer! I will buy some anchorseal before I fell the BIG tree. The logs I have now are already down.

GF

I bought 5 gallons from Baileys, it seems to be thicker than the Anchorseal I was using. (Could be it was just cold out when I used it  :D).   The 5 gallons was around $45.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey guys,

I know I am spending a little more per gal., but I use
Henry  white acrylic roof coating as my end seal, not a wax
emulsion meant for the job.   This is the stuff which I use
in the five gallon pails mentioned above.

It sho don't wash off either.   :D

A thick coat of this dries about like a shower curtain - a tough layer of rubber.

Phil L.    (P.S.  Another brand is Kool Seal. I used to get it in the $55 range at Home D.
                        or Lowes, etc. but stocking has changed around here on this stuff.)
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

beenthere

Phil
Does it stick tight to the lumber through the kiln or air drying phase too?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

The white acrylic roof coating stays on very well.
I have not put any in a kiln - just air drying.  Some
has been on two years now.

Phil L.

Frank_Pender

Both brands stick to the log through with bad weather, both warm and wet, around here.  As to the kiln, it sticks just as well.  I get my temps as high as 165 degrees and not had a problem with the sealer running or melting off of the boards. 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!