iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So how big you want'em ?

Started by SwampDonkey, February 09, 2006, 11:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Took the camera and tripod out on my daily strole today. Took some pictures of some good sized trees (for New Brunswick) on my neighbors' woodlots. They are next door to mine. Unlike some areas of the world, folks where I live don't get bent out of shape if you want to go for a walk on their woodlot. I'de never drive an ATV or other vehicle on anyones ground without permission or without having business being there. As long as your behaving yourself and not doing damage to their trees or ground, no one cares. So here are some nice trees, you can draw your own opinion of that feller leaning hard on the trees. :D :D :D

I'm six feet in front of that trembling aspen, the camera was too far away for the remote to reach the camera if I stood beside the tree. :D :D I'll let you guess the diameter on that one. ;)

A balsam fir, 18 inches width at my shoulder.

A white birch, 18 inches width at my shoulder

A white spruce, 20 inches at my shoulder.

I'de be very surprised if the neighbor ever logs this area any time soon. In fact I'm sure he's never walked in here over the last 15 years. Last time it was logged was 25 years ago. :D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

Funny you should post this, earlier today I was looking at the state and federal big tree registry, and some of those are pretty amazing. 

Maybe....the forestry forum could start our own big tree register  ???

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

I wasn't really impressed with the tree heights in there. Looks like 20 meters (65 feet) for the tallest trees, but it's probably because they were not grown very tight.

I measured some red spruce up on the Wapske River that were 33 m tall. There is a photo of one someplace on the forum that was 22 in DBH. If I'm over in the Napadogan region this summer I have to get some photos of some big cedar.

Anyway, these guys have a sawmill and these nice softwood logs.  ::) They buy all their logs for sawing, they seem to be concentrating on cedar. They aren't setting the world on fire with the sawing, but just the same. The fir are amazingly healthy looking with nice pitch blisters on them. But, I wouldn't be banking on them being in good shape 10 years from now. They are longer lived up this way than in southern NB, but are still a short lived tree at 90 years. See, this ground around the area of my woodlot and neighbors burned almost 100 years ago, my grand mother was a young girl then (born in 1900) and she could remember it. I have found some big old cedar stumps with charcoal in them.  Father cut 300 cord of aspen on ten acres in 1984, and aspen was all he cut. That's besides the hardwood and softwood that were later cut on the same ground.  8)

I'de like to see people post pictures of trees their proud of. Maybe this could be the start of such a thread to show off your favorite crop trees. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Those are some nice pics Swamp.  We have some birch on our land in that same general size w/ alot of new growth still starting to grow on someof the areas that we logged off about 15 years ago.  As for trembling poplar I don't really know if we have them here.  We have similar trees to them that we call black poplar.  It is not a very strong wood and easily rots when exposed to the weather.  It will however last for years if it is kept wet all the time when used as barn flooring or well cribbing.  Doesn't even make that good of firewood.
  When it comes to the white spruce we have alot of them.  These mature trees are in the neighbourhood of 65 feet tall and a few have even reached the 75 feet mark.  Most of these matrue spruce range in the 18-32" dbh with a portion of them even up to 52" dbh.  This is when I wished I had a camera to go out and compare your trees to mine.  I did send some of my 35mm photographs to the Boss so they can be scanned and shared with the ff members.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Murf

SD, it's funny, I just stumbled across this thread while wandering exploring the vast amount of info. on this site, while I was doing that I was unloading a bunch of pictures from the card in my camera.

I took this picture of my loving wife (for scale of course) next to one of the white pines at my cottage. I thought I had one of her next to the big one out back, but I can't find it now.

This is just one of many this size and bigger left on the property. There's also a good number of oaks, and maples, as well as some pretty DanG big hemlocks.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

That's a dandy Murph. Not too many white pine around here now, they were cut long ago except a few scraglers. There are other areas of the province that have lots and their is a sawmill that saws them exclusively. All my pine are seedlings that the moose like to rub the branches and bark off. I found a red pine seedling on the edge of my property and it looked like the moose really hated that poor tree. What he didn't strip off he stomped into the ground. ::)  :D I might be able to get a hemlock pick in a bit. There aren't many around here now.

Thanks for the great pic Murph.  :)

jon12345

I think there is a mill in Jay, NY that saws only white pine, Wards maybe.  Those are some pretty impressive trees, the tallest I've ever seen anyway.  I was real disappointed when they told me I couldn't cut any down when we were 'practicing' our timber harvesting in college, then again the saws they let us use only had 16 or 18" bars, which would have been barely enough for some of them cuttin from both sides.

SwampDonkey

Eastern Hemlock, 44 inches at my shoulders. This is on a hardwood ridge as you can see the diseased beech and sugar maple. Biggest, honkenest hemlock I've seen in these parts. As big as some of the largest white pine I've seen so far in NB. :D I know we have some large pine, but not very many larger than this tree. I know where there is one other 3 or 4 miles away on another farm.

;D ;D ;D I wanna see some big 'eastern trees', ok you guys out west can show some too. Now I wanna see some still standing and living, not logged and long extinct ones. :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Here's a western red cedar from the Charlottes. Ok  ::) so I had to inspire ya a bit. Can ya spot the little troll knome? :D :D

jon12345

Taxes are almost here, and my shoppin list has a new digital camera on it,  8)

Used to have some pics of big white pine - Might have a few pics on a disk here I'll hafta take a look, hopefully if I do there will be some way to show scale in them, I usually use my knife stuck in the bark not sure bout in these though.

thurlow

""""""""I took this picture of my loving wife (for scale of course""""""""""Do you use Doyle or? :D :D :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Jon, I think Wards have a  in Maine. They take veneer spruce 18 inch top and up. I'm not sure about their current operations.

[edit] I've confused it with another mill I think. There is a Ward cabin though that uses cedar.

Black_Bear

Here are some fine specimens from the 45th parallel. Doesn't quite match up to that nice southern pine that grows so fast and tall, but I wouldn't mind a couple of hundred acres of this eastern white pine.

The stand density of the shelterwood (about 40 acres) is at 110-120 BA and the majority of the trees are 100-110' tall.

I didn't quite match the 44" hemlock that Swampdonkey produced, but that tree looked as if it had substantial butt flare and should be measured at 6.5'  :)

The top pic is the shelterwood (notice, no limbs), the middle pic is a 40" WP, the bottom pic is a 36" eastern hemlock (blue spot) with a 36" eastern white pine in the background to the left. The cruiser stick is 38.75" long.

hotlinks removed by admin.  Pictures no longer existed.

SwampDonkey

Well I was hope'n we'd see some of them pine from Maine. Those are some beautiful trees. Lucky there isn't a see of balsam fir seedlings in under'm. Anyone got some pics of those big spruce up along the Allagash? They keep showing videos of that area on TV and looks untouched. How did they escape the old loggers up there from cutting and floating them down the river?

I was wonder'n. How are we gonna measure that western red cedar? Bring a jet pack and I'll secure one end of a 30 meter logger's tape using a latter, while you jet around the trunk at 10 feet up like a humming bird. ;D :D

My but would be sag'n to after 300 years. :D :D :D

thecfarm

I have a few big ones left.I have a logger coming the end of the month to do some cutting of the big ones.Of all winter to have it done,the ground is not really froze yet.The big pine is really too much for my tractor.We did cut down alot of big pines and twiched them out with this 40 hp tractor.I have many that are 3 feet across.My father passed away close to 80 and he could not remember it ever being cut off.I do not have a digtal camera.The way you all talk,there is no way to scan pictures,put the scan pictures in MY Pictures and then send them to FF?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Black_Bear

This is an interesting article on big tree hunters:

Big tree hunters

I've had this one bookmarked for a few years now. This is big business, this tree hunting:

Big trees

Hey cfarm, is that your pine off of 156? There are some nice shelterwood stands right on the black top (just west of n. chesterville) that will make someone a nice spring lot. That is nice country over there. I've seen a lot of turkeys driving through the Farmington/New sharon area.

thecfarm

That is not mine pine off 156.You have to walk about a mile to see mine.I live on the Fayette side.In fact I own land in Chesterville and Fayette.I live off from the Ridge Road past the Eskers.The turkeys have cometh.They ate all of our low bush blue berries 2 years ago and last year they ate my Buttercup seeds right out of the ground,I have declared war on them critters.My dogs has fits when he sees them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm
"".......to scan pictures,put the scan pictures in MY Pictures and then send them to FF? ""

That should work, as long as you save the scanned images in .jpg format, and then size them to max 400 pixels longest side, and then save them in file size of 30kb or less, (if I have it figured out correctly).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

American Elm 44 inches, measured at 6 feet above the ground. You can see a big burl on the left side.

Picture of tree in forest grown conditions. This tree really doesn't count because it's dead from dutch elm disease. It was alive in the picture though. I think I took the picture in 1986. The woodlot was liquidated afterword by the neighbor. Although they left the elm the disease found it.

cheers :)

SwampDonkey

On the Charlottes I measured Sitka spruce ranging it height from 65 to 70 meters (208-224 feet) and 2.3 to 2.8 meters (90-110 inches) at DBH. They are recorded on cruise cards with the Queen Charlotte office of the Ministry of Forests, if you knew the block # and License # you could look them up. The block of forest was never logged and you can drive within 500 meters of it. If someone was ever up at Peregrin Lodge and had a map you could get there by road. If I remember correctly there was over 2800 m^3/ha including the cedar and hemlock. 300 m^3/ha would be exceptionally rare around here. If you find a stand with 200 m^3/ha here, the logger would have to change his shorts.  :D

SwampDonkey

Visited an old growth cedar stand on the back of dad's farm he sold 2 years ago.

26 inch dbh Trembling Aspen

24 inch northern white cedar. It's leaning pretty hard and is not looking real healthy in the crown.

Here is a run of some pretty good sized cedar. The one in the middle of the frame is 16 inches at dbh, the next to the right is 14.5 inches and the next to the right and further away is 18.5 inches. I aged cedar in here awhile ago and the big ones are 200 plus years old. Almost impossible to read the rings close to the centre of the tree, some are rotten and some have rings very tight together.

Here is another view and shows the average conditions of the stand. The ground is wet in spring and fall and pools of water in the summer. Best to leave this stand alone in my opinion. There is some nice cedar in here but not worth risking possibly serious windthrow and rutting. Most of the fir and white spruce are dead or dying in the stand.

jon12345

I will try to get some big tree pics soon,  today I opened up my digital camera to see what was rattlin around inside of it, and saw a bright flash of light and heard a pop,  so I figure  'great, now its broke for good'  I put the stupid thing back together, put batteries in it, SLAMMED er on the floor and VOILA  camera works again  :D :D

slowzuki

Ok biggest tree period on our ground was a dutch elm killed fellow.  16" bar from each side and still at least 16" left in the middle, so thats an actual diameter of about 45" or so.

I've posted in other thread the big ole aspens we have on our spot.  Neighbours had a 48" sugar maple cut last year that had been there since their family got the grant nearly.

I cut a large balsam fir on our property that had butt rot badly, it was around 18" to 20" and had lost its top.

The largest spruce I have seen here was a white pasture spruce.  The butt was massive, almost 30" but tapered and split into a major limb (18") near breast height.

I cut an eastern white pine for a neighbour last year and it was near 30", not like the monsters shown here but a decent size for the wet ground it was in.

Here is the pic of one of the aspens, not the largest but within a few inches of hte largest live one.

Max sawdust

OK I will get my camera out and shoot some pics of big hemlock big white pine, aspen and oak in the 45th parallel.  Problem is my xc skis do not do so well of the groomed logging roads. ;D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

It's funny about eastern white pine. It will even do fairly decent growing in wet moss. We had a small bog about an acre in size that had a really nice healthy pine growing in the middle. It wasn't 30 inches by a stretch, but a nice looking tree. It was a sphagnum bog with pitcher plants and sun dew growing in it, like a typical bog. It was an oddity because most these type areas are further east and northeast of us. You'll find cedar swamps but bogs are not too common and they are usually small. Any that I've found around here anyway.

According to taper equations I use slowzuki, your estimate of DBH of your elm is pretty good. That's a respectable tree. Too bad these old elms get the disease.  :'(

My trip up the Tobique has a few maples and a birch similar to your neighbors'. Dad cut our big ones on the farm 25 years ago for tool handles, he had a market for them at the time. I asked him how sound they were and he said they where chalk white. That's not too common, as I've gone to look at a few of those big ones and they most always have big heart or mineral, or are culverts.

My trip up the Tobique

Since we are including pasture grown trees, here's a white spruce my father's uncle planted as hedge row. ;D

white spruce 26 inches at DBH  , 2 behind the house and there are several others over 20 inches. I'de hate to have to limb them. :D :D

balsam fir 18.5 inches at DBH, forest grown. Has a large frost crack on the back, but otherwise looks healthy. Probably has butt rot. This was the largest I seen on this lot, most are around 4-12 inches. And the volume is close to 38 cords/acre on reforested pasture. Mostly fir and poplar with scattered spruce and cedar.

I was surprised at how healthy the fir was on the closest neighbor's lot (first post of the thread), there are several in there the same size (14-18 inches range). Blows me away when I see those big fir. :D We cut (all I had to do with it was mark trails) some big ones over on Miramichi Lake a couple years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!