iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So how big you want'em ?

Started by SwampDonkey, February 09, 2006, 11:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 15, 2008, 07:20:39 AM
Yes, it's hard to imagine the forest was full of those big white birch back 70 years ago before the big die off. Most people think of white birch as a small diameter tree these days. Grandfather said it was dangerous to be in the woods hunting near stands with those old dead white birch snags.

This is the same tree a little further up eh.  It's life cycle coming to an end.

bck

This is a Catalpa thats in the ballpark of 4' diameter.

I wish I had a picture of the boxwood  from where I used to live ( the guy that built the house supposedly died in 1801 ). The boxwood was 20-25' tall and the ballpark 12" diameter.

Ron Scott

WYFF-TV, May 10, 2019
A University of Arkansas professor/researcher has documented a group ancient trees that are among the oldest in the world — and they are about an hour's drive from Wilmington, North Carolina. David Stahle, distinguished professor of geoscience, has now identified the oldest known bald cypress in the world — and the fifth-oldest type of tree overall. He says it is at least 2,624 years old.  READ MORE

The E-Forester 
~Ron

Don P

QuoteThe Black River bald cypress have been around since six centuries before the birth of Jesus.
For the newest study, researchers used nondestructive core samples from 110 trees found in a section of the wetland forest they had not previously visited, Science Daily reported.
That's pretty cool and I'm sure they are quite old. My understanding is cypress is notorious for false rings in response to a varying water table ???.

SwampDonkey

A lot of species have false rings. When they recently aged some 400 year old red spruce they had to account for those false rings and I think also an old red pine recently aged to nearly 400 years. And none of these were all that big for their species or climate they are growing in.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!