iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weird cherry

Started by jeff, June 03, 2001, 06:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It's a weird and wild place in the brush just outside my bedroom window...

What is this on our cherry leaves??

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Can't help you, but it jogged a recent news story out of Kentucky. They have had a rash of horse miscarriages this spring. Last theory was that a cool spell had caused army worms to go to ground out of cherry trees, mares ate the droppings and aborted.

Jeff

These are not worms they are some sort of sprout.

Gordon

Jeff some really weird stuff happens right outside your bedroom window. Na I wont go there. :D

Seriously I can't help you on this one

Gordon

timberbeast

The one just left of center on the top leaf looks like a baby perch.  Is it as wet there as it is here?  Seriously,  though,  my pop used to send things like this to a university laboratory,  not sure where,  but I'd be interested myself!
Where the heck is my axe???

Bill Johnson

My first thought is it might be a gall mite of some type. If I get a chance to-day I'll do some searching and see what I can find out.

Bill
Bill

L. Wakefield

Dunno, man- but we've also had that stuff as long as I've lived here- not on all cherries, nor on all leaves of all cherries. Oak apple galls we have as well, and those bulls-eye things on the maples they were talking about. Lotsa lichen, and that weird witchy twiggy stuff you get on some kinda bush up here- I used to remember what it was called but can't bring it to mind right now- I just figured they all were some various types of parasitic growth(s) that didn't seem to bother the trees too much. But I will try to look with a more critical eye here.      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bill Johnson

okay
I've done some searching and I found this information on the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Website.
I'm not going to put all the information here just some of the high points.

Quick Facts....
Galls are abnormal growths of plant tissue caused by a wound, infection by a microorganism, or the feeding and egg laying activity of certain insects and mites.
Although galls are conspicuous and unattractive, they rarely cause serious damage
Once galls start, formation is largely irreversible
Under most circumstances, control is not recommended
The most common galls are leaf, stem,and flower galls produced by insects and mites.
Galls are often unusual in form, conspicuous, and frequently cause considerable concern.

I think this is what is on your cherry tree. If you want to know how to control it or if control is even practical you should contact the extension forester down there and see if they have any suggestion.  If not there try and find a good plant entomologist or pathologist they will know what to do.

Bill
Bill

Jeff

No concern on control for me, In fact I may go out there and see what I can find next for the "weird" series! Very interesting stuff, and maybe, possibly, we will answer someone elses question!

RavioliKid

You certainly do have your share of weird botany around your house!

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!