iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak tree

Started by turningfool, December 14, 2006, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Yeah, I work about 4.5 miles from there.
I could call in some favors and have my boss drive the fork truck up, but I'd have to empty the stuff off my bigger trailer and I wouldn't have any way to unload it once home.
Toolbox puts the quarters in the ball park of 2000-2500 pounds.

Reddog

Well if you are using a favor to get the fork truck, use another and get the flat bed trailer and tractor.  ;)

Furby

Don't think I haven't thought about it! ::)
But there is no way to afford the diesel, it hit $3.49 here today. >:(

And I STILL don't have a way to unload.

Reddog

Well if you hauled it to Stump Jumpers you would. ;)

Furby

Thought of that too.......... ::) ::) ::)
$$$$$$$

SwampDonkey

Where's all those portable sawmills up there? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

14 plus pages dedicated to one tree and nearly a year in the making!!!  It'll be commanding it's own website soon!!  ;D ;D

Has it arrived 'home' yet ???
Sense is not common

Furby

I worked on it for a couple hours yesterday after work.
Maybe one more day on it, plus some work while milling it.

SwampDonkey

Snow's coming Furb. Too far away for me to be neighborly.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

That was the main reason I was trying to get something done on it.
Got the strap and chain off of it as the ground is getting a little hard now.
Once we get some snow on the ground, it'll be sitting there all winter as I'm simply not messing around with stuck vehicles and such, there or here.
I get stuck often enough as it is. ::)

turningfool

it'll still be there come spring waitin for us

Phorester

Trees store wonderfully well on the stump, eh?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Phorester on December 29, 2007, 09:15:52 AM

Trees store wonderfully well on the stump, eh?

I think you'll find this oak is no longer on the stump. They FINALLY felled it in October and have been working on getting it ready to mill in their spare time since then...

Course, who am I to talk? I've still got my cypress sitting in the back yard with not a single slab taken yet... But there's always 2008 if the Lord lets us live to enjoy it...

pasbuild

Sooo guys any boards yet ???
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Reddog

So...........is it boards..............or firewood...............or turned to dirt?   ;D

SwampDonkey

Probably lots of nice spalt by now.  ;D

Dan_Marino

Oh my!  Where's the end?  I read every post like it was a chapter and was getting excited for the end and then - wham - nothing.  was anything made out the tree?

The-Burl-Hunter

when people say like 5' in diameter or 6' 7' or so on that means like taking a tape measure and wrapping it totally around the trunk until you get to the starting point of the tape right?  ???thanks

DouginUtah

Burl-Hunter,

What you are describing is called circumference. Diameter is measured straight across from one side to the other side.

Circumference = 3.14 * Diameter      (3.14 multiplied by D)

Diameter = Circumference / 3.14      (C divided by 3.14)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

Like Doug said, and if you only have a carpenter's tape instead of a D-tape (diameter tape) or logger's tape (some have a D-tape on the back side of the tape) you can wrap your tape around and divide by 3.14 to get it's diameter. ;D

old joe

Welol I read the whole thing and winter is gone.  What happened to the Tree.  Is it boards or what???

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Scuba_Dave

The tree I had taken down in the back yard was 54" straight across
I had them take down 3 trees & I cut everything up
Now I have an Oak tree to come down - it's smaller, not by a lot

baronthered

sounds like another tree odyssey in the making. I'll look forward to reading about it too.
Life's short make fun of it!

Thank You Sponsors!