iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Effective signs?

Started by Jeff, March 27, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Jeff with all the signs, they thought it was public land. That's what one guy told me on my lot, even after driving by private land signs every 300 feet on his way to cut brush (fir tipping). Which was also illegal even on public land with no permit. Further questioning revealed he had no permit either.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SeeSaw

Jeff,

Did not stumble across this post until now.  Go to the link below, click on trespassing and then click on No Trespassing (sample Sign).  You may not like this approach but I have them on my property and it has pretty much ended the trespassing and rif raf.  It's enforceable too.

SeeSaw

http://www.landrights.com/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Green Wood

Some of the farms 'round here have 'em signs that say "BIO-SECURE AREA- - - -KEEP OUT" and some creepy little logo type thing like a bio-hazard sign. Those scare the pith outta me, even though I think it just has to do with testing crops.

breederman

That has to do with keeping you from dragging bugs in and making their livestock sick or dead.
Together we got this !

Jeff

Well, none of the signs were effective. Last hunting season I had trucks stop at the corner and get out guns and scope down the powerline right in my direction. My solution this year was to plant a screen of corn, sunflowers and sudan grass. A month ago two quads came on to the property and mowed down my screen. So, I took a page from the Corley5 way of doing things.

Its easier to ask forgiveness then ask permission.

I began to build a board fence across the powerline with a planned opening to allow for transmission line maintenance. I didn't inquire about permission, I just did it knowing that they would probably contact me.  The fencing material was sawn fron drought killed tamarack. I cut the tress down, sawed out the lumber and built the fence in the course of about 4 days worth of work. The Saturday after I had the fence completed (no gate, just a twenty foot opening where the gate wold be) I got a call from home that I had a letter from the American Transmission Company with pictures of the fence telling me that I was in violation of such and such a policy and my easement agreement. The photos they had were sent to them by an unknown subject and they were, I feel, purposely taken at an angle that made it look like the power line was completely walled off.   I had the contact information emailed up to me and I took a little time to find the fellows email address using google. I sent him a quick note explaining I would call him on Monday, but also attached photos that I took showing what the fence really looked like.

On Monday I had a great conversation with the gentleman. I told him why I built the fence, how I designed it so they could enter at ease hauling a hundred foot pole if necessary. He told me to not be concerned with the letters and forms that they had sent me before, that now that they new what the real deal was they would be sending me a letter of endorsement along with one of their locks to place on the gate along with mine, if I wished to lock the gate. They also placed in their database the photos I took, and a note that I must be personally contacted before any spraying or forestry actions could take place on my property and that there were active, managed food plots on the property as well.

So, I have a fence and a little privacy for myself and the critters that now frequent my foodplots.  I also have a new gate. I think I spent nothing on it. ;D
Here is a short video tour.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gqVypN5fE
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Nice Fence and Gate.
You otta put the Wild Game cam up to catch the 2 legged animal taking pictures. :D
Put it up just high enough where they can't get to it if it is discovered. ;D

Radar67

I am at the same stage of the game with my property Jeff. I didn't want to, but had to place No Trespassing signs this past weekend. I found vehicle tracks leading up to my house site. Deer Archery season opens here the 15th. I will be spending a lot more time on my place this season to make sure I catch whoever it is.

I see an entrance gate in my very near future, like this weekend or next.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 08, 2008, 04:42:16 PM
Nice Fence and Gate.
You otta put the Wild Game cam up to catch the 2 legged animal taking pictures. :D
Put it up just high enough where they can't get to it if it is discovered. ;D

I actually have a broken one that Lou gave me that fell in his pond. I thought about putting that up where it could be potentially seen and discovered, then have a hidden working camera pointing at that one.

Jeff

Here's a photo of da fence.  :)

SwampDonkey

Some fellas, as I've learned over the years, figure they have free reign as they may well have passed over a piece of ground for 10 years during hunting season. You put a sign up they tear it down. A fence, they hook on. A gate, they cut the lock. They do it to retaliate and might never even care if they enter your property again, they are just hitting back. Really a lot like school yard antics. Once they get caught they get some feeling back into their brain cells, either by law or by something impacting their brow.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

badpenny

Good on ya, Jeff, for getting the power co involved positively. Being an absentee owner can be a pain. Here we had a problem with "townies" hunting "tweety birds" wherever they wanted. My land was the last, as our conservation officer(used to be called game warden) got involved, the miscreants were on probation for felonies and were not supposed to have firearms. Probation revoked, back to the slammer, and hefty fines; along with that, the word has been "out" for 3 years now, not to mess around on other peoples property. Our whole township has not had a trespassing incident since these young men went back to prison                Best of luck to you, keep up the good work.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

thecfarm

Keep at it Jeff.It's hard to try to keep people out when they know no one is around.I had a little trouble,but since we started to live here things have been much better.It's still a chore to keep people from driving onto the field during hunting season.Now I bring out some trees,limbs and all and put them on the edge of the field,the 3 foot ditch by the road does the rest of the field.I would be really upset if someone knocked down something I had planted.Good luck.It's too bad you have someone that wants to be a jerk with taking pictures and trying to get you in trouble.It's your land and you can keep whoever and whatever you want off your land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

That is a very nice fence. As they say, a good fence makes good neighbors.  8)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

Way to go, Boss.  I like the way the fence angles to cut off the view. 

On my last trespasser, I called the Sheriff and the miscreant was confronted by me and two deputies.  I am sure that I will have another one or two this hunting season. 

Good luck.  The message is clear, and if you persevere, maybe they will finally get the message.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Nice fence and a good relationship with the power company.

Ain't land ownership fun?  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

Utility companys are often good to work with once you get to the "right person". I had a situation on a logging job a couple years ago where the gas company wouldn't let us cross or haul the landowner's timber out along the gas line rights-of-way.

They said that the pipeline was only 3 feet deep and our heavy truck weights would damage their pipe. The landowner had the right to use the rights-of-way. Also, their pipelines are suppose to be a minimum of 5 feet deep. At least that is what they say when they install them. After a couple days of "what to do" and an upset landowner, I got in contact with discussed the situation with the gasline superindendent of maintenance.

Once he was aware of the situation, he had a foot of gravel placed over the line for our crossing and agreed to where we could run along it the line. The gas company also put up a gate at the entrance from the county road with a duel locking system for them and the landowner.

All worked out well and we actually improved relationships with the gas company and
we completed the timber harvest without further incident.
~Ron

SeeSaw

Jeff,

Way to go.  Like the fence, gate,  and your approach.  I've used this same approach before and I must say it's almost always had better results than asking questions or for permission first.  Always remember.... "To seek permission is to seek denial".  I wouldn't have done this any different.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Splinter

effective signs.

Got some that apparently made effective targets. Didn't see the bullseye when I put them up.

Jeff

I was thinking, just for fun, I might make up a sign like this to put on the back side of my fence. ;D

SeeSaw

Jeff,

That works too.  I like it.  The only word I might add be the word "Now" right after "Out"

Gary_C

You might also add: You are in my sights and in camera range.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

I considered FREAKIN FENCE as well.  :D

J_T

Write it around a bullseye and put a arrow in it  :D :D ;D
Jim Holloway

pigman

Just put on the sign " Please turn around and smile"
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

OneWithWood

...and Did You Notice the Red Dot on Your CHEST?

adn mount a low power laser so it shines directly on the sign at chest height! :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!