iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Photography advice!!

Started by Jeff, March 08, 2003, 06:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have added to my collection of stuff and old glass negative. It is a huge one of an old sawmill scene. It is 12 inches by 20 inches.  

Does anybody have a clue on how a guy might display this or how to get photos produced from it? I think prints from this would make amazing froum contest prizes! Especially since we now own the original source!!

Here was the ebay description of the negative:

This is an original Banquet size 12" x 20" glass negative of an Ohio logging mill circa 1913. In the image can be seen 11 men, a logging truck, a log deck, a log hoist, the mill exhaust towers and telephone poles & wires in foreground. Only the central portion is depicted in overall view (my light table isn't as large as the NEG!) The image is extra sharp and properly exposed. Condition is excellent. This image was purchased in Ohio nearly 20 years ago. (This is why I an guessing this scene to be Ohio).

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Professional photography houses can make contact prints from this large a plate.  Finding one that can do it at a reasonable rate will be the hard part.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

I agree with the contact print.  That's how the prints were made in the glass negative days.  Actually, all that is needed is a darkroom with the proper chemicals, photographic paper large enough for the plate and an "even" light source.  It can be done by most any portrait photographer who has the inclination because it doesn't require special equipment.

To store these plates would require a box where each one could be individually inserted in its own tray so that no dirt, dust, light, fingerprints or caustic vapors can reach them.  Nothing should touch them but by the edge.  The most damaging photographic enemy is fingerprints   Acid etches the surface and permanently damages the emulsion containing the picture.  Second most damaging is water and third is light.  These are not things that should be offered to view accept by specific appointment.  That's what the prints are for.

Mark M

I have a professional grade Nikon slide scanner and can handle up to 6 x 9 cm (120) negatives, but nothing that big. Might be interesting to try scanning it with a flat bed scanner to see what happens.

Mark

RavioliKid

If things pan out, I'll be taking photography this spring. I could probably do it for you - but I'd have to ask the instructor to be sure the equipment will handle it.

If you haven't figured something out by next month, let me know.

RavioliKid

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hosslog

Can't help you out with the preservation Jeff,just wanted to say great picture.
Ohyeah PS Wouldn't the DOT boys have fun with that truck on one of their spot checks.

Tillaway

Jeff
Try a High School or Junior College photography or graphic arts class.  This would make a good project for them.  The big lithographic cameras take negatives nearly that size so they could probably do it.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

OneWithWood

The thing to do is get someone to make a 4x5 negative for you.  I do not remember the process exactly but that is what museums do if they want ot make prints.  Use the modern neg and preserve the original.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

My neighborhood photographer tells me that some of the digital photo shops have a flat bed scanner and programs for converting large negatives to prints.  Shop around.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!