iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's wrong with this saw?

Started by timber tramp, December 09, 2008, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Just got a Husqvarna 065 (65L) chainsaw given to me. It's in pretty good shape really, seems to run good. It's a 65cc saw, and has a 28" bar on it. No chainbrake though. Telling a logger buddy of mine about it and he tells me it's best used for a boat anchor. This from a guy that runs Husky's religously.  I'm not really familiar with Husqvarna's in general, and had never even heard of this model until this one was given to me. It's an old saw and kind of heavy, but is there someting inherrently "wrong" with it that I should be concerned about?
Cause every good story needs a villan!

beenthere

If it is free, and it runs when you want it to run, and it pulls a chain through wood....what more could one ask? Sounds like the logger buddy is sour grapes, and maybe would like it for his "boat anchor"  :) :) :)
If'n ya hafta pour money into it, then worry about its potential value.
Sounds like ya got a good deal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timber tramp

Pretty much what I was thinking. My neighbor gave it to me, he bought it new in the 80's I think. He says he's too old to deal with firewood anymore (got a pellet stove). He gave me the owner's manual and a hand full of reciepts for tune-ups and such also. I helped him install his pellet stove and he gave me the chain saw. Pull about 3-4 times with the choke on and it popped, turned choke off 1 pull fired right up. Have'nt used it yet though. Like I said I'm unfamiliar with Husky's. Thought I'd see if anyone is familiar with this model before I use it, in case there's something I should be aware of.

mike_van

The older saws might weigh a pound or two more than the latest model - But, if someone gave me one, I'd be glad to take it!  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

isawlogs

I can understand his reply , he probably has had one at one time and now has a newer saw with all the antty vibration/chain brake / less heavy/ faster cutting saw . I beleive him when he sayes he would use it as a boat anchor ... But ....  to you and me , its a good find ,  ;D 
Let um go buy an anchor ....  :D  If memory is still working ... the mix for that saw was 40/1 . It was a good saw, only thing I really dont like is it not having a chain brake . Very unforgiving .  ;) :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

I have two of them, one for parts as new spares are getting scarce. It was a good saw in it's day but by today's standards is heavy and slow. I don't use it any more than necessary but it sure bucks up a pickup load in a hurry. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timber tramp

Isawlogs- Thanks for the heads up about the mix, you're right it is 40:1.

Sawguy21- Glad to hear that someone else has one of these.

Does anyone know if there is there a newer Husqvarna model that parts would interchange with?

Rocky_J

If you use oil from 30 years ago then it's 40-1. Engines don't have a ratio requirement, they have a lubrication requirement. Use the same mix fuel as you use in your other chainsaws.  8)

timber tramp

Rocky-  So new 2 stroke oil lubricates better than the oil they had when this saw was new? Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to make sure I understand.

Rocky_J

In a short answer, yes.

When you go to the saw repair shop, how many cans of mix fuel do you think they have in the back for the hundreds of pieces of equipment they work on?

RSteiner

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 10, 2008, 12:56:18 AM
In a short answer, yes.

When you go to the saw repair shop, how many cans of mix fuel do you think they have in the back for the hundreds of pieces of equipment they work on?

I have been using Husky brand 2 cycle oil for about 15 years.  I buy it in the one gallon mix containers.  I have not noticed  at any time where the label on the container said new and improved formula.  What I have noticed is a difference in the amount of 2 cycle oil that comes in the one gallon mix container, there is a little less oil now with the 50 to 1 mix ratio. There used to be 3.2 oz. of oil in the one gallon mix containers now there is 2.6 oz.

I think the materials used in new saws along with tighter tolerances in manufacturing allow for leaner mix ratios and it helps meet emission requirements also.  In an older saw I would still mix my fuel at 40 to 1 in fact I still use that mix ratio in my new saws, a little more lubrication will not be a bad thing.

As far as the repair shops go having only one mix can they probably figure the small amount of fuel they put into a saw to test it will not hurt because the first thing the owner is going to do when they go to use the saw is top off the fuel tank.

Randy
Randy

Stephen1

I have used for Tanaka "1 for all" 2 stroke oil for for probably 15 years now, it came with a little gas powered water pump we bought for the sugar bush, and the dealer recommended the oil for everything else, I still have not had a problem.
It is in a sqeese bottle with the measurment in the top half of the bottle works great no fuss for mixing.
Quote from: Rocky_J on December 10, 2008, 12:03:11 AM
If you use oil from 30 years ago then it's 40-1. Engines don't have a ratio requirement, they have a lubrication requirement. Use the same mix fuel as you use in your other chainsaws.  8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Rocky_J

I apologize for turning this into another oil ratio thread. I was just trying to refute the statement that the saw requires more oil in the mix simply because it's 30 years old. Once again I'm reminded why I quit mentioning this a few years ago, but I forgot and let it slip again. Do whatever you like.
8)

timber tramp

"I apologize for turning this into another oil ratio thread"

Hey no worries, I'm thankful for the input. Truth is I generally mix fuel a little heavy on the oil anyway. My dad taught me a long time ago "it's better to buy spark plugs than piston rings."

Thank You Sponsors!