iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to Sacrifice Another Virgin

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 08, 2009, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

According to the latest news report, the whole little town is gone  :o :o

No sign of a LOT of natives and NO Tourists heard from, yet  ::) ::)

Guys are returning for food and rest, and are emotional, saying everything is gone ???

Can't remember the name of the Hotel.  Americans, Italians, French, Canadians, all missing.  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Looking pretty serious from what I am reading. 14 dead, 300 or so wounded, thousands without a way to leave the area.

As usual, the Red Cross is doing a great job.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Hotel Catarata De La Paz     Peace Lodge at the waterfall  ::) ::)

They just showed where the Hotel WAS. It went down, into the river. Showed big trucks that supply the hotel, all crushed and down the river bank, bodies inside. Cars are the same. Most bodies probably went downstream. Rocks and dirt everywhere.

NOW, there was a staging area warehouse, for food, water, 4 x 4's, whatever could be donated, just went up in flames ???  It's at the Airport  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

In case anyone is interested, there have been vehicles found, under landslides, with occupants inside, dead. Using dogs to search for bodies. Raining here, pretty hard  ::) ::) ::)

A LOT of hillsides exposed, and it won't take much for the dirt to get saturated and slide again. People are building signal fires, to attract attention for rescue, or, at least food and water. Remote areas are plentiful, and no way in or out, except for Quad bikes, or choppers.

I'm sawing 8 X 8's for a damaged house, if it will just let up on the rain. Don't need a leg cut off from slipping and sliding around the open swing blade.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

I can't find any information on the tv news or online news.  Do you have a link that would provide news coverage of that area Harold? 

Stay safe! 
Say when

Tom

Roxie,
I googled Costa Rica news Earthquake and got some news sources.  It looks like China is offering aid.

isawlogs

Harrold , please keep posting  as the events unfold , it is a tragidy but we get little news after the initial impact . Seams that once things happen , they put a camera to it , then its like ... its over lets find another ......  We get zip here of the rescue efforts or of the extent of the damage caused . So if you don'd mind I for one would welcome your feed back , Thanks ..........

Marcel
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

TexasTimbers

Chinee is probably sending toothpaste, baby seats and baby formula, tires, and every other container ship full of poisonous/defective products we sent back. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

Try Yahoo home page, for videos. Only source I have, except for local news.

Try www.ticotimes.net. It's the English version of news papers. Try searching www.repretel.com. That's one news channel. Might be something slightly different.

It's been raining pretty hard, here, but, MAYBE those affected can catch a break ???  They sure need one.

China has a BIG influence, here. As much as I don't like Chinese anything, it sure is good that those in need are seeing supplies. Red Cross is VERY active here.

Got the emergency sawing done, and, I'M WHUPPED.  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

TexasTimbers

Harold, what is the deal with a Costa/China connection? Has to be benefiting them both I assume but can't imagine what the nexus is there.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

El Presidente del Costa Rica, sold a few million $$ in bonds to Cheena, at several different times. It has a 10 year payback time limit  ::) ::) ::) ::)

They export a LOT of stuff to Costa Rica. I wouldn't be surprised to see what little "Valuable" logs are here, are sold to Cheena. They HAD money to burn. Seems the world depression has slowed down their buying ???  Look at fuel and scrap metal prices.

Other than that, I don't have inside info on what the deal is. 
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Any of y'all that requested links, get to try them ???

We had some large shakes last night.  :o :o  Couldn't get any updates on the news, and, it's raining, AGAIN.  ::) ::) ::)  People are being dug out from under slides, and, they are getting ready to try and excavate the village was completely buried.  It's a real tragedy.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

I did read the Tico Times link, but it is a weekly publication, and it just refreshed today.  It's truly tragedy y'all are dealing with down there. 

I also found that if I google Costa Rico, it does bring up news links. 

You and Reina are in my prayers.  Stay safe!
Say when

crtreedude

Regarding the Costa Rica / China connection. It is about Taiwan.  You see, Taiwan isn't part of the UN, Costa Rica is. China wants to absorb Taiwan back, it needs the votes to do so. In the past, Taiwan did things for Costa Rica, so they would be their friend, now China is out bidding (bribing?) them.

The Costa Rican people are not very happy with Arias for this, by the way - it is what is happening.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Pete J

Yahoo! My friend JJ has been found! I wondered why he wasn't answering his emails.

Here is his story from the Earthquake.

hey pete,

thanks for the pictures.  the last photo of where the blue and white bus on it's side is was where we were. the gift shop is the last thing you see in the distance and to the right is the remaining part of the roof that came down on top of me. you can't even see the bus that stopped the mountain.  we had to climb out past the bus to the top of the mountain.

jj

Here are some pix

http://www.waterfallgardens.com/quake/

my buddy ed and i were at la paz waterfalls, the epicenter
> of the quake. it was 6.1 in san jose, costa rica, 6.8 to 7
> at la paz. there was total destruction. we had just came out
> of the falls waiting for the shuttle bus back. it arrived,
> the driver got out, walked into the gift shop and the quake
> hit. (there were still people down on the walk ways on the
> steep mountains by the river.)

> the earth behind the bus gave way, but the bus stopped it
> and the wheels were in a 3 foot crevasse. i was on a narrow
> waiting area next to the bus with a 300 foot drop off. the
> roof above the waiting area had a 10 inch beam running it´s
> 25 ft length. the whole roof came tumbling down above me,
> but the beam was stopped by a trash can right next to me. i
> looked up from the ground and the beam stopped 8 inches
> from my head and body. something struck my right foot and
> shoulder bruising them. eddie jumped away and had no
> injuries. the road back was totally gone, there was a empty
> tourist bus that went with it but the driver was ok, we had
> to walk up the mud slide, then over a 10 ft embankment by
> climbing up vines. then over cow pastures to avoid the road.
> the resort was shut down, they handed out candy bars for
> dinner. we slept in the rental car with nothing (we came up
> from san jose for the day - the car is still there and
> won´t get out for weeks). today
>  eddie walked out 4 miles, i waited for a helicopter (they
> were all busy or charged $400) then they got quads in and i
> got a ride out by quad.

> it all comes down to my life not drastically changing by a
> measly trash barrel and a school bus.

> jj

Fla._Deadheader

This is a good example of what the news is down there. We were told the complete Lodge was gone, and anybody that was there, including the owners.  ::) ::)

Next time, I will hold off reporting about tragedies.  ::) :-\

Glad to hear of lots of folks getting out alive, including your friend, Pete. Thanks for bringing this to light.
   First, it is ridiculed;

metalspinner

Wow! We have those same pics from that place from our vacation!  That road washout is something else! :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!