iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hawaii

Started by Magicman, September 13, 2009, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Put in 9 hours on the JD yesterday bushhogging.  Ate, bathed, and sat down in my recliner.  Reached for my laptop and there was a Hawaii brochure lying on top.

Is this woman trying to tell me something??

We have traveled/camped in 49 states and all Canadian Provences.  I was just waiting for them to complete that last bridge span before going West of California.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Has she been talking to my wife? :D

I keep seeing brochure's.  Maybe we can get a group discount. ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Remove all "Hawaii Five-O" and "Magnum PI" videos from the room. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

This trip is with Walt Grayson.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Handy Andy

Was checkin out the trip specials on Apple Vacations website, they have several to Hawaii.  Careful lettin her get to Jamaica, be hard to get her back home.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironwood

I was stationed on the the Oahu for a year. Neat place. Go if you can. I was soo busy on the the island I never got to any others. If you are interested I hunted wild (feral) pigs w/ dogs and knives on the North Shore w/ THE local expert Fredrick Lawrence (AKA Uncle Freddy) you could easily find him and his sons. They live in Hallewia and are very open to others joining in the adventure. It is an experience you will never forget. Tell them the "blue eyed howllie boy" sent you. Anyone else reading this can do the same, incredible stuff and great adventure. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

Well, she's still looking.  I did searches today, but she isn't too interested in anything that has "cruise" attached to it.  She gets seasick.... smiley_sick

Planman1954

That's good. Do not do the cruise and island hop package. The folks that do it complain loudly about the cost and the little bit of time allowed to get off and see stuff. My wife's sister lives on the main (big island) of Hawaii, and so we got to spend a couple weeks there a while back. If you can fly into Hilo and rent a car, and just drive around the island's perimeter and see the sights for a week or so, you'll be very happy. God bless.

Gary
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

SwampDonkey

Hey nice keyboard.  ;D

Welcome onboard.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

My wife and I spent a week on Maui a few years back, and really enjoyed it.  Maui is not as built up as the big island, and has a lot of great places to see.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ErikC

We went to Oahu for 2 weeks one time, and spent 8 or 10 days on Maui once, and on a whim we went to Oahu for 4 nights in the middle of winter. That trip was pretty much Honolulu, but Oahu has a lot more than the city to it if you have time. Every trip was great.   
   Don't worry about what you'll do too much, and just stay in one place and cruise around checking things out and enjoying yourself. We got a vacation house on Oahu for the long trip, and it was very peaceful, we could cook instead of eating out every single meal, and was no more than a decent hotel for price. You won't be sorry if you go.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Stephen1

last spring we did Waikiki beach 3 days, Maui 4 days and then Kauai for a week, rented an apartment down in Pompano  beach on the south end. absolutely best vacation we have ever been on. Maui was a little ritzy for my liking but we had a nice day snorkeling with a local conservation group. Kauai was by far the best not quite commercialized but getting there for sure. We played golf all day with a electric cart, clubs, balls for $49 dollars for the 2 of us. We just kept going around, stopping for a beer on the patio and met lots of local people , had a great time.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_S.

I am currently working in Hawaii, have been for 3 weeks and will be for at least another 2.
Started in Oahu. Honolulu is too big and too crowded. Waikiki Beach looked like a cattle yard. Spent most of 2 weeks on the North Shore and really enjoyed it. Went to Pearl Harbor and visited the Arizona memorial but didn't get the same kind of chill I get when visiting places like Gettysburg or Antietam. It has changed so much that it is hard to picture what it was like nearly 70 years ago. The Dole plantation is a tourist haven but very informative nonetheless.
Spent 5 days on Molokai. This island is very different from the rest. Straight out of the 1950's. Not geared toward tourists. It is very arid on one side, lush on the other. Not a single traffic light on the island and the airport terminal could easily fit on a football field. The locals are not as friendly toward "howllies" and especially so toward us since we were there to measure their wind resource. They are not in favor of wind turbines built on their land and then having the power sent via undersea cable back to Oahu.
I am currently on Maui which is also very arid on one half and lush on the other. It is the complete opposite of Molokai, very touristy. I won't get to explore it until this holiday weekend.
All 3 islands are very expensive.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

Brad, very cool. How about some of that remote terrain? Way cool to a Howlie boy? Seen any bread trays laying high in the jungle (waiting for the next weed harvest) if you see any just watch your back, your on someones "product". When we hunted the remote reaches of the North Shore, Uncle Freddie kept use "cool" w/ the local growers.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!