iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging pics from last winter

Started by poor farmer/logger, January 22, 2010, 10:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poor farmer/logger

Figured I'd put up a few pictures from last winters harvest. Haven't started logging yet this winter. Been busy with other things up till now. Still got a few things to iron out before  we head back in again but getting pretty close to ready. Should have a few more pics in another few weeks.

Just the 3 of us in the bush. I do all the logging by myself while mom and dad buck up and haul home everything. Works out well as I don't have to worry about anyone else in the bush while I'm working. Future plans are for a processor but for now it's working okay. That'll be for when I do it all on my own.

The ol 7 siting in the new landing that I cleared.

The other stand that we finished last winter. This was the big tree last year. 36" on the but. And no I didn't trim the but off.lol..

This is the nice stuff that we got into in the end of march last year. Going back in again in another couple of weeks. It's a selective cut. We're taking out the over mature and thining the stand out some.

6 days by myself with the skidder and a chainsaw. We were right at the end of our permit last spring so I gave er and got out all I could before break up. Was pretty warm out so the limbs didn't come off real nice. I limb everything with the skidder and group them back in the bush so I can pull 3 or 4 at a time depending on size. There's suposed to be 50 or 60,000 board feet in that pile. Haven't got it all sawed yet so not sure how their conversion is going to work out.

The main road going threw. We were the only ones in there last year

Last stand in march

My Favorite picture from last year.

Back in the last stand the end of march.

Moving home again.

poor farmer/logger

Boy, I had to fight for that one. Took forever to get it right.

Couple from hauling home.

Yes that little skid steer unloads everything.lol..

Hope you enjoy. Got some others but I imagine you guys will be getting sick of em by now.lol.

Ryan

Paul_H

QuoteGot some others but I imagine you guys will be getting sick of em by now

Nope,keep em comming! :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

poor farmer/logger

Have to see what I can round up for tomorow night.

Ryan

beenthere

Enjoying the pics. Thought maybe a video of that log rolling back over the skidsteer might be coming next.. ;D ;D

Pile 'em up right behind you.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Good stuff!

You'll never have to worry about showing too many pictures of logging. :)

thecfarm

We like 'em.Should put a few on this thread too.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
This is Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment.If you have not seen this thread,it will keep you busy for awhile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bull

more pics, when you start this years job !

stonebroke

How do you limb with your skidder? just drive over them?

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

Beenthere, you can see the skid loader is designed to just let the logs roll off the back, nice and rounded. :D I like the payloader with the forklift mast. 8) Keep the pics coming!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

poor farmer/logger

Put a couple of shorter logs over the skid steer before. Big ones are heavy enough that they stay where you want them too. Just tricky balancing the skid steer on two wheels.lol.. The logs are heavy enough that it'll bring the skid steer forward before them rolling over the back.

We've got a tree lenght grapple that we're thinking about mounting on the front of the tines for this year. The mast works great for the most part but for 8' logs it's a nightmare. Especially when they're icy.

I just drive along the sides and over the top of the tree. Then roll it if need be. If it's cold out usually once over the tree is enough. Go over it with the blade down and drive along one side of the tree. Then back away from it with the blade down and the tire rubing the other side of the tree.

thecfarm, haven't had a chance to check out that one yet. I'll have to take a look though.

Beleive it was a 10 or 12 foot log that rolled over the back before. Doesn't hurt anything but gets any onlookers back a bit.lol..

barbender

I was thinking the same thing, with the 90xt you could just lift em up and let them fire over the back, it could be a super effecient way to unload :D Seriously, those are nice pics- Is that all white spruce? Very nice looking wood. I have white spruce on my property that gets pretty large, but usually it's rotten halfway up the trunk :( What kind of skidder do you have?
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Coon

Nice woods operation you and your family got goin there PFL... wish I had that kind of equipment.  Things would actually happen then...  We are finally getting snow now, so maybe some logging can be done.  ;D 

That man in the video sure knows his controls.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Magicman

I'll bet those guys are good with video games also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

That was awesome.  :o  Bet it took a while to perfect that balance point.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DGK

Here's a pic of the grapple that I have on my Bobcat for working with logs. I works great. The end plates on the bucket have since been modified to a slight curve with heavier steel for more strength and better gripping of the logs.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

wi woodcutter

2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

poor farmer/logger

wi woodcutter, yes it's a D7E. Just got it a couple of years back and so far it's treated me pretty good. Done some work to it since but nothing major mostly just little oil leaks. Gona need some u/c in another few hundred hours but other then that she's running strong so far.

Pic of it snow plowing the farm today. Finally got some decent snow. Haven't had nothing hardly till the last couple of days. Took the sled out tonight just before supper. Still a blizzard out there but maganed to get around and see what it was like.

DGK, nice unit you got there. We've looked at some grapples at auctions but so far haven't bothered to pick up anything yet. It would sure be nice for the 8' logs though.

Thanks Coon, it's been a work in progress. Still is for that matter.lol..

Dave Shepard somehow I don't think the ol man would  approve.lol.. Stuck on dial up so unfortuantley can't watch it at all. Seen some of the acrobats on video before though. Saw a video one time of a guy overseas somewhere loading a skid steer onto a two ton truck or the like. No ramps or nothing. Got the back end up in the air and set it down on the back of the truck bed then rolled the bucket down and backed onto the truck bed while rolling the bucket back.

First pic is the start of a stand and the next is when we finished up that spring. Went till break up then finished up the permit the next winter. Still have to close off the roads in that cut. Do that when I take the cat back up though. That was roughly two weeks work. Pics are taken from almost the same spot. Just a bit further to the north of where the first pic was taken. We have to clear cut when we're in Jack Pine as it's all diseased. Some of it is pretty nasty wood but they're finally rewarding us a bit for taking it out.

wi woodcutter

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 24, 2010, 08:13:31 PM
wi woodcutter, yes it's a D7E. Just got it a couple of years back and so far it's treated me pretty good. Done some work to it since but nothing major mostly just little oil leaks. Gona need some u/c in another few hundred hours but other then that she's running strong so far.

Pic of it snow plowing the farm today. Finally got some decent snow. Haven't had nothing hardly till the last couple of days. Took the sled out tonight just before supper. Still a blizzard out there but maganed to get around and see what it was like.

Those old E, H, and K models where some of best dozers ever made. They had some real power. We had some D9H's where I work and they could really push.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

poor farmer/logger

Those were some good ol cats for sure. Simple and reliable. Definatley don't need a computer to fix them.lol..

Engine and final drives were just gone threw on this one so hopefully I don't have to go into it to deep for a few years.

Plan for this one is to restore it to it's former glory and then buy a newer high track to put to work and keep the old E for playing around.

Ryan

Coon

Nice cat you got there.  I see you finally got some of that snow.  ;)  Don't look like you got near as much as us... I think we are close to the 2 foot mark but it is kinda hard to tell with all the wind we've been getting all day.  The streets here in town are bad enough that the grader operator was having a hard time pushing it off the streets due to icy hard packed snow underneath.

Is that a 5 way blade on your cat???? that would be nice on the D6D that we have at work.  Here's the unit.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bobus2003

This is the grapple i have for moving wood:

works well for everything from 8' posts too 36' house logs

poor farmer/logger

Hi brad, I wish it was a 6 way. Unfortuatley not. Still got the manual cranks for tilt too. Planing on changing that out to hyd tilt in the near future though. Got another valve on the cat just need a cylender or two. Haven't started looking yet but I'm sure there's some out there somewhere. Brother is a machinist in Saskatoon so I can get some help there if need be.

We had two inches or so before this last snow fall. Now we're right around a foot maybe 18". Like you say it's hard to tell for sure. I was out last night on the sled and there's sure some nice drifts to play in though. Even managed to get stuck in one or two.lol..

Nice little grapple you got there Bobus2003. Would be real nice for the short wood for sure.

Ryan

Thank You Sponsors!