iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to hire a log builder? Or should I?

Started by Doug_D, June 09, 2010, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hey all.  My project is moving along slowly...very slow...did I mention slow?

Anyways.  I need to bring in some help and get things moving.  I am not very keen on doing the roof as it is a 12:12 pitch.  I also think this would be a good starting\stopping point to bring in a team and have them do the roof to black (tar paper).   How would you guys go about tracking down someone  to do this?  I do know several local contractors\builders that would be more than happy to do it, but most only do conventional construction.  Not sure that is the right approach. 

The roof is going to be exposed 5x8 rafters with 1x6 T&G decking, nailbase SIPS and all mechanical fasteners . 

Suggestions?
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: Doug_D on June 09, 2010, 12:11:18 PM
Re: How to hire a log builder?  Or should I?

You don't need to hire a log builder.  You just need to find an acorn, plant it, wait 30 - 40 years, and viola! you've built a log!

Doug_D

Ok.  I asked for that one. :D  "Log builder"....

www.cabinstartup.com

jander3

All log projects are slow; they test your patience.  Depending on the roof design with the required materials on site, some scaffolding and a little gin pole a couple guys can do it in a weekend or two.   You have built the cabin, you might want the satisfaction of building the roof.  It is not rocket science once you figure out your rafter templates.   You can also do it alone, that is much slower.

If I was looking for a log builder I would probably call the log building schools and ask for recommendations in your area.  Or maybe look at the http://www.logassociation.org/ you might find some leads for your area.

A timber frame guy might be easier to locate; they could certainly put a roof on your building.

jdtuttle

If your using dimensional lumber, 5"x8". Any good carpenter can frame the roof. It's pretty basic.
jim
Have a great day

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Doug_D on June 09, 2010, 12:11:18 PM

Suggestions?

One way to find a company or timber framer in your area would be to do a search of the resource guide at the timber framer guild site.
I believe you can access it at the Timber Framers Business Council site. But I was trying to post the exact link but that web page is down right now.

What you can do, when the site is up and running is to go the resource guide and do an online search of companies in your area, by state.
That should give you a list of all companies in your area, that you can then either email or call and see if they can help you out with the fabrication and installation of your roofing system.

If you can't get any good leads out of that, then you could try getting a list of timber framers from the guild, by state, using your state, and see if any one on that list would be interested in helping you out. If you're not a member of the guild and can't access the online membership list, let me know and I'll do it for you and send it privately to you via regular email.

Also, you could post the request for help on the timber framers guild forum site and see if someone there, from your area, is willing to help you.

Good luck with your search and project.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stumpkin

Doug,
I would be happy to help you out with your project. I have done several roof systems like you have described.   Tom       edgewrks@gtec.com
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Doug_D

Tom,
Check your email.  I dropped you a note with my contact info.
www.cabinstartup.com

Doug_D

Tom,

Just checked my spam folder and found your note from Monday!  Glad you said something on here otherwise I may have never known.  Not sure why yahoo flagged your email as spam, but it did.  I hope you got the emails I sent the other day. 
www.cabinstartup.com

Thank You Sponsors!