iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett skidder support

Started by mad murdock, July 02, 2010, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

Enjoyed the thread as I buy used equipment all the time. The tires are grader tires as someone said and should be easy to match up. As with all tires this big they are pricey.
Down here in the mud we have even welded bands into split rims to accomadate wider tires or hard to replace originals.

Way to go on salvaging the older iron guys. Keep the pictures coming of your progress. Stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

John Woodworth

Your 10 is 1962 vintage give or take a year or two on the newer side, they made many changes in later years of the 10 so they are easy th guess age, mine's a 64 and identical to your's.

Is it the chain box leaking on the rear end that you are talking about? if so it's a common seal from NAPA but check the chain tension, if it's too tight it tends to lift on the yoke. Set it snug then back-off till you have a little s9not much0 slop.

Is it your hydraulic pump bracket that's broke? if so I welded a couple tabs on the frame and mounted it there, the stock bracket is built solidly enough but gets a lot of vibration movement the way it's mounted.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

Nice Garrett you have there! John and others have given great advice. I have old tractor tires on my 15, whatever you can find for the best value. Welcome to the forum and great job on the pics
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

old peak

Thank you all for the info and the tips. I will check on those grader tires and see what I cant find. as far as the gear oil leak goes I will try to take a picture and get your opinion John but I do think it is in one of the bearing seals. It dribbles down somewhere out of the axle union pools up on the inside of the wheel. I have just been topping the differential off with gear oil. Glad to hear I can get the seals at napa though. I will check the chain box as well though. It is the pump bracket that snapped in half. The hole into the block is fine though so I was just going to swap the bracket out if I could. 
Thanks again fellas. I am sure it wont be the last time I call upon you for expertise...

John Woodworth

Old Peak: does sound like a axle seal, which is no big deal from NAPA, along  with the seal pick up a Speedie Sleeve which installs over the old seal running surface, chances are your's is pitted. Also replace the cone locks on the axle, it's not worth the headache of reusing used ones as they never seem to stay tight. to remove the axle loosen all the axle nuts most of the way off and then smack the axle with a large hammer, the bounce will loosen the cone locks, some times you have to drive a screwdriver into the expansion slot in the cone lock to help get it all the way off. You will see and understand once you get that far. Good Luck.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

old peak

Thanks John, I can picture what you mean after looking at the the blow up diagram. I went into NAPA today with the manual to see if they could order that stuff in but I got some pretty blank looks when they tried to look up those part numbers. He suggested that once I had them out they might have additional part numbers on them if they aren't worn away, or maybe they could just measure them and find a acceptable analog. I was a little worried that would happen, do you know of a better way to get a better modern equivalents for these old part numbers or do I just have to bring pieces in as they break and hope they can find out what they were. The manual does not have any actual part specifications just an obsolete part number.
Thanks for you time.

mad murdock

A good bearing/seal guy can match up the old part numbers.  Get on Applied Industrial's web site, or call and talk to the counter guys in Tuallatin at 503 691 2130, I would bet they can match up a seal.  We get a lot of parts from them, and they are able to cross the old National, Chicago Rawhide, and Garlock numbers to current equivalents.  Good luck with it. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Woodworth

Old Peak, if you have any trouble some where I have the seal number but it's a common seal for 60's-early 70's 1.5 ton Ford Trucks, another thing be sure to pre-load your Axle bearings, too loose and the movement flexes against the axle and it will snap the axle studs.

lumberjack48

When i walked in to napa 30 yrs ago, i knew the guy, about 60 yrs old. He could find any seal or part i needed for my C5D tf or the S8 IH, Funk, Rockwell, Eaton. Gearmatic, Detroit, he had part books on it all. I got all the truck parts there to, Mack, Autocar, IH, its to bad how these places are run,and they don't care.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

old peak

Thanks John and Murdock, I did talk to a handful of folks including those at applied industrial and they didn't even know what a skidder was let alone a garrett. It sounds like they probably have the seals, just no good way to look them up. They all just told me to bring them in once I have them off which is probably what I will have to end up doing. John, would you think that I should get new bearings, cups and cones while I am at it or just play it by ear depending on how worn they look? If you do have those numbers handy it might be helpful to order new parts before I get it all torn apart but don't worry about it too much.
Thanks for the help everyone.

John Woodworth

Bearings are up to your judgment, myself i'd probably change them, leaking oil, getting water in. Just go to Napa and quit worring about all these other parts vendors and quit trying to order  by the garrett name, they are Rockwell punkins with !.5 ton Ford hubs and axles. the brg and race numbers are on the brgs and the seal number is on the seal and have been off the shelf from Napa.

mad murdock

What John W says. Sorry to not be clear enough. When was talkin about Applied, I took for granted that the numbers you would give them would be the numbers stamped on the seals and bearings. You won't find anything giving out Garrett PN's.

old peak

all right guys, thanks again, I am going to take it apart this weekend, I will let you all know how it goes!

twobears

here it is guys.. the mill that garrett made. 

twobears

twobears

this is where the log is feed in.in this and the other pic's the mill is all folded up so it can be moved.

beenthere

twobears
The pics would fit the other thread where you mentioned finding this ecologizer.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51852.msg850572.html#msg850572

Hope you get it up and running.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twobears

OOOPPPPPPPPPPPP,SSSSSSS.I was thinking that this was the right post..i,ll change it.. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!