iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My log arch build with pics and action shots :)

Started by Piston, August 16, 2010, 04:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I needed to build a fence, so I needed to clear some land, so I could use the logs to mill into fence boards and build the fence around the newly cleared land.  So I needed a way to get the logs to the mill, about 400 yards away.  So I needed a log arch....Here's my build....

I've read many threads on homemade log arches and decided I wanted my own.  I built it with all scrap metal and ended up not having to pay for anything, other than the winch itself and the fairlead.  

I figured I would share my log arch build with all of you because looking at pics of other log arches really helped in my design.  
I knew I would be using this with a tractor and not ATV so I made it HEAVY!  I wanted to be able to easily skid a 16' log totally suspended, so I made the main top beam about 8' long, + the tounge.  I don't have much trouble with maneuvering the arch through the woods, just need to pick my line correctly  ;D

Here are some pics of my build, a friend of my father's was kind enough to weld it up for us as a favor....

I started with 2 pieces of 8' 4X6 box steel, they were laying in the dirt (literally had to find them digging off a couple inches) for many many years.  they had a lot of surface rust but nothing major, after running a wirewheel over them quickly they looked in good shape.
I didn't want to cut the beams in sections and have to weld them back together, so what I did was mark off the spots where I wanted the 'bends' to make my full arch, then I used a metal cutting blade on my mitre saw (I have since learned to NEVER do this, so I will NEVER do that again, if I ever need to cut steel again I'll buy a dedicated steel chopsaw)
I set the saw to 22.5 degree angle and cut out a 'wedge' shape.

I then flipped the beam over so the wedge openings (45degrees) were facing down.  I heated the only remaining side up with torches until it was hot enough where the steel would start bending down under it's own weight.  Using a large triangle square I bent the steel until it was at exactly 45 degrees.

I repeated this for all the 'wedges' that I had cut.  This worked extremely well and was a simple way to get a perfect shaped arch using basic geometry.

Here is the general idea...

"Dad, I swear it's gonna work, my forum friends do this all the time..."  :D

We didn't have any other steel laying around other than those 2 beams, so my father (one of those guys that just ALWAYS seems to find a deal) found a trailer for sale on craigslist for cheap money, well long story short it didn't have a solid axle, the asked why he needed that, he explained what we needed, the guy said "oh I have just what you need, and you can HAVE it"  So my dad, being the good guy that he is, picked up this trailer for me, for free...

Perfect!  We cut that bad boy up in no time, I actually didn't want to cut it up, it was in good shape and would have made a great woods trailer, but hey, the price was right...

The day before we started cutting the trailer, I had just had lasik eye surgery, so I stayed away from the 'steel fragments flying everywhere' jobs.  (Note:this build was many different days over a couple month period)

Obviously the axle would be too long so we had to shorten it.  (you can see where I used the left over waste from the "wedges" to tac the arch into the right shape)

Arch welded into shape and spikes removed:

We cut one of the wheel and hub assemblies off the axle:

We welded the this plate onto the bottom of the arch, ....The plate was one of the brackets that held the wheel/hub assembly on the axle (if I remember correctly.)

Truing up the wheel alignment....

Now it's starting to take shape...

The plate we used on the bottom of the arch beam (old axle bracket) worked great for attaching the hub, it couldn't have been a more perfect size.

Blury pic of fitting the main beam into position...

Installing a little extra stability with the brackets:

The main beam is welded on:

From here we do have more pics of installing the tounge and crossbar in the back, but I don't have them at this computer so I'll skip them for now.  Hopefully I'll remember to add them later.  Anyways I'll post some pics of the finished (mostly) product and some of it in use.  

Here is a little creative 'custom' work....

The cup holders are made of a solid piece of steel going across the bottom, and 2 spare muffler clamps welded to the main beam, this was another perfect fit...

This was my only mistake, up to the point of needing a winch and fairlead I hadn't spent a dime on the log arch, so I made the mistake of buying a northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE cheapo winch.  I wanted a self braking worm drive winch which is what I got, however it was way too cheap for what I was using it for.  We ended up using a cumalong to get us through the first few days of use.  I still need to buy a heavy duty winch for it, any recommendations??
The fairlead worked well, but the diameter is too skinny for my liking, I will buy a larger diameter heavy duty one that should last a good while.  I never should have skimped on these two important things, I should have bought the heavy duty, expensive winch.  Lesson learned.  
(I'm still keeping my eyes out for a good used heavy duty winch ;D)
More pics...

Putting it to use clearing land for my new dog fence (which was made out of 1x4 lumber I milled from the trees I cleared from the land)

Not a log arch photo but some of the logs we 'skidded'

and as a side note, here is the first appearance of my nephew on the forum, he LOVES tractor rides and playing outside....he'll be a forestry addict soon enough....

Nephew with his grandpa (Bubba)

I think I'm a bad influence..

Okay back to business, here is the longest log I have skidded so far...

f

Your probably wondering why I didn't just cut it into smaller sections since this won't fit on the mill anyways.......Well........because I wanted to prove my new arch alright!  :D

If you've seen any of my other posts...you'll know I always have to throw in a pic of my 'kids'

The newest member of the family..

One of my helpers taking a well deserved rest...

And the final product of many of the skidded logs:

I think that about does it for my log arch build, all in all it has worked great, aside from the cheapo winch.  I am very happy with the size, I read a lot about the advantages of the smaller ones in tight woods but I'm glad I went with the one I did.  I knew I would be using it behind the tractor so I made the width of the outside of the wheels about the same as the tractor, however still a bit skinnier.  
One thing that I thought of after I built it, that I wish I had planned into the design, was to make it wide enough so I could back the arch over my LT15, and lower the log right onto the arch.   I haven't tried this yet (or measured the width of my mill) so maybe it will still work.  I think if it is wide enough the the vertical clearance will be the next obstacle.  If it works then great, if not then oh well, however something to keep in mind for someone who is planning on building an arch and not worried about the size.  If I ever built another one I think that would be the main consideration in sizing it, however I don't think I'll ever need to build another one, this thing will outlast me and is built like a tank.  
I think if the width of the arch is enough to fit around the mill frame (so I could back the log right onto it) but I don't have enough vertical clearance, then I might keep my eyes open for some large military type tires and rims, that would give me enough clearance I would think.

The width of the inside of the arch is about 38" I don't have a tree on my land that is that large but I did this so it will make it easier when picking up multiple logs, like say 5 or 6 firewood logs.  The arch has saved a lot of grass, and keep the logs nice and clean for the mill.  Also helps with my chain life on the saw when I'm cutting firewood.  It really does make it pretty easy to skid a huge log!  
In the end my father helped a TON, both in the log arch as well as clearing, cutting, and building the fence.  He's a good guy to have around! ;D ;D ;D

Hope you enjoyed.....

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sprucebunny

Great job  8) 8)

Thanks for all the pictures !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Norm

Burlkraft

Nice arch!  8) 8)

Them are some nice lookin' logs too.

Thanks for all the pics
Why not just 1 pain free day?

tonto

Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Dakota

Good job Piston!  If you have occasion to haul many long logs, you might consider building a little tag axel like this:

PS.  I hope your wife didn't find out how you were using her dining room chairs.  :D
Dave Rinker

tyb525

Wow great job! If you are just itching to build another sometime, I'll give it a good home ;). I am very jealous of all the fine heavy machinery you have there.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

Great looking arch, Piston.

I really like the detailed pics.

Great Job by both you and your dad.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That was a very well thought out build.  Congratulations to both you and your Dad for turning out such a high quality arch.  I see many happy skidding days ahead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

mad murdock

Good to see old(north) american ingenuity at work.  Nice craftsmanship on the build and thanks for sharing the pics and story with us!  We can rebuild this country one board at a time here on the FF! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

shinnlinger

I would think some 8x8's(or whatever you need) on the ground on either side of your mill will let you gain the vertical clearance you need for your drop the log on the mill idea, but a sweet arch!!!!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Bear

Lud

A great build.  Very nice beverage holders.  You might consider a rack on top the arch for holding a cooler! 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Tom the Sawyer

Piston,

Great job on the arch.  Lacking welding skills, welder and materials, I had an arch built for me.  New steel, hitch, wheels/hubs from a '95 Grand Am and paying to have it welded set me back about $900.  I bought the same HF winch, what a waste.  I had to crank about 20 turns to raise the log an inch.  I had one of their $50 camo 3000lb 12v winches and it works much better.  Raising the log takes the push of a button (if you have a small 12v battery or wired to the tractor).  Mine works pretty well so far.

Couldn't get pics to insert, made it to gallery.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Piston

I like the idea of the cooler rack  :D

I have actually been eyeing those large atv racks, the type that hang over (and drop down a bit) the back of the rack, and you can put a couple 5 gal buckets in there.  I was thinking of adding one to the rear, and using it for my chainsaw and associated tools, not sure if it would get in the way though....

I just ordered a 60" peavey and 42" cant hook from baileys (also a log stand to go with it which has mixed opinions) and I got some rubber type clamps that I will install on the arch, and then just 'clamp' the peavey onto there.  I stole this idea from someones log arch build I read about on the forum. 

Here are your pics Tom Sawyer, and it looks great, love the electric winch...

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

That arch is a dandy.  ;D

Thanks for the story and photos. The little guy will be run'n the show before long. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Bill

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Piston

Since I bought my grapple for my front end loader, I haven't used this arch too much.  Mostly I just carry the logs with the grapple unless they are too long or too heavy. 
I started using the arch again on some longer logs that I've milled because I can't fit through the woods with the log sideways on the grapple. 

The junk winch I bought didn't hold up for anything.  At this point it can barely lift up it's on hook.  :o
In the meantime I have been using a cum-along to lift and support the logs off the ground when in the arch.  This works, but is painfully slow and inconvenient, especially when lowering the logs. 

After using it quite a bit, I've learned a couple things I should have done differently. 

Some areas improvement are as follows:

-Obviously, I shoudn't have bought a cheap winch.  I should have bought a good quality heavy duty braking winch.         Ideally, an electric winch would be the easiest choice. 

-I should have welded some chain hooks on the forward portion of the arch, so I could chain the front of the log up against the main frame, while the center of the log is supported by the winch itself. 

-I should have added some steel at an angle (near the front of the top frame) to stop the front of the log from swinging side to side. 

-Looking back, I probably would have made the hitch a clevis type rather than ball type.  I have never once attached it to my truck, but wanted to leave the option open.

-I wouldn't have changed the size of it, for me and what I do, the size works really well.  I was worried about it being too long but it hasn't been too much of a problem, however I'll be using it in some tighter woods in the near future and that may change my mind  ;D  Something that worked out great and I didn't plan for, was that I really only use it for long logs, over 12' or so, since all the shorter ones are easily carried in the grapple. 
I really like how I can fully support a 16' log, even a bit longer than that.

Luckily I can add just about everything I want to change.  I will weld some steel in an upside down V shape to prevent the front of the log from swinging side to side.  I will weld on some chain hooks in the same area. 
I may cut off the trailer tongue and put a clevis type hitch on it, so I can just pin it to the draw bar rather than use a trailer ball.

As far as the winch goes, that is my first priority, as the log arch right now is very inconvenient to use, and I find myself not using it just because I don't have a good winch.   >:(

So that is my first modification to work on.    ;D

I had some safety points saved up from work and turned them in for a basspro gift card.  With that card, I bought an electric winch.  It is a 4500lb Superwinch ATV winch.  I bought a mount for it that will allow me to slide it into a receiver hitch, then bought a short section of square tubing to weld onto the arch, which I will then slide the winch into.  This will be nice because when I'm not using the arch, I can remove the winch itself and store it indoors, not only that, but I can use it independently of the arch as well.   ;)

I plan to hook up the new winch in a couple weeks.  I will post pics of any progress I make.   
Does anyone have any advice for hooking up an electric winch to a tractor?  I plan to use welding leads for the power and some heavy duty connectors for a male/female plug to connect the winch to.  It seems fairly basic looking at the instructions (Yes I read them :D) but I'm a wee bit worried about too much draw on the electrical system.  Although, it will be used for very short periods of time, not winching the logs from 50' away or anything crazy. 

I just wanted to post a few things I would have done differently in case other people use this thread for ideas of their own.   ;D
-Matt

kelLOGg

Nice arch! and photo-documenation to go with it. Mine is about the same capacity as yours but you have more beer holders than I do  ;D.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Piston

Bob-who are you kiddin'?

Your arch could eat my arch for breakfast  :D
-Matt

Buck

I hope somebody chimes in on the winch addition to a farm tractor. I have been studying and think the best way I've found would be to add an auxillary battery. I just don't see how the tractor system could keep up without it. If your business works like mine you will end up needing to use that winch more than just in an intermittent type of use. :-\
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Autocar

Cool pictures and it dose the job. Great workmanship  ;)
Bill

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

Nice topic.. don't know how I had missed it earlier on...but I did...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

John Mc

If your tractor is running when you run the winch (at good rpms, so your alternator is putting out decent amps), and if you really are only winching short distances (like just lifting the log up off the ground, or dragging it a few feet), you will most likely not hurt your battery. The heavier the drag, and the longer the time spent dragging, the more you risk sucking the battery down too far.

Sooner or later you will be tempted to use your electric winch like a logging winch, or do a bunch of shorter twitches one right after the other, without letting the tractor top off the battery between hitches. That's when you'll toast your battery. You might not kill it the first time, but each time you do this, you'll shorten the life. Adding a dedicated, deep cycle battery will protect your tractor's battery. Whether you need to do this or not depends on how disciplined you are in using your winch.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sealark37

Nice piece of work.  I know that you will get  great use out of your arch.  On the other hand, I suspect that your shop is in reality a Hollywood set.  It is far too clean and uncluttered to be a real shop.  All that light, and nice, clean walls and doors.  Thanks for posting.  Regards, Clark

Ford_man

I would use a Hydraulic Winch If you still need one I have a 10 ton winch that I took off My equipment trailer because I don't have hyd on my truck. It will work off your tractor with no ill effects.

pineywoods

Electric winch on a tractor beats no winch, but not by much. Don't think you would be happy with it. Hydraulic is the way to go. Look around the truck bone-yards for an old pto type winch. Add a hydraulic motor, a couple of sprockets and some roller chain. I spent about $250 on mine. Used it today to snake a 24 inch 25 foot pine log out of a briar thicket.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Piston

QuoteAs far as the winch goes, that is my first priority, as the log arch right now is very inconvenient to use, and I find myself not using it just because I don't have a good winch.   

So that is my first modification to work on.   

I had some spare time and decided to work on the winch. 
First thing I did was lay out all the parts I had.  I already attached the winch to a bracket that would allow me to mount the winch in a standard 2" receiver hitch.  I did this thinking that I will also be able to use it with my truck, or weld a receiver hitch on my trailer and use it to load logs with. 

The directions stated to mount the solenoid, switch, and most of the parts, near the battery.  Well, I really wanted to be able to use the winch on other vehicles and if I mounted the solenoid and circuit breaker on the tractor, I would only be able to use the winch with the tractor. 
So my idea was to mount the solenoid, circuit breaker, and remote switch plug, right next to the winch, or better yet on the winch.  So that is what I did. 

I started by welding a small piece of flatbar to the winch mount.

Then I attached a piece of plexiglass to mount the solenoid on.

Then I added a little more support and a top piece of plexi glass. 

I drilled a hole for the small, round female plug for the handheld remote to plug into, and then mounted it in the plexiglass.

You can see from the pic below that I had way too much wire, the winch was provided with about 6' of relatively small gauge wire, I only needed a few inches. 

So I cut out a bunch of excess and spliced the wire back together.  I also added my main power wires, which were two lengths of welding lead cables.  These work really well since they are rated to 200amps and are very flexible.  It certainly doesn't look like a professional job, but I never claimed to be one.  :D

These are the connectors I used which I found online, they were very simple to use.  I installed this plug with about 6' or so of cable from the winch.  This is how I will plug the winch into my tractor. 

I also used welding leads on the tractor, along with another plug of the same style, I wired the welding leads directly to the battery.  Then snaked them to the back of the tractor, and mounted the plug right on the inside of the left rear fender, out of harms way. 

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to finish the install.  The next step will be to weld the 2" receiver hitch to the top of the log arch, then I'm off and running.  I did plug the winch in and try it to make sure it worked, and so far so good.  The main test will be to see if it works well by lifting the logs.  It will probably be a month or so before I can get my hands on the welder I borrow.  After that, and after some use, I'll post some pics and let you know how it works out.  I sure hope it works better than the broken come-along I've been using!  :D
-Matt

John Mc

A nice looking installation. One thing to think about, however:  The reason for mounting the circuit breaker near the battery is to protect the battery from shorts between the battery and the winch. As you have it mounted, you are only protected from problems in the winch itself, and the short length of wire between your circuit breaker and the winch.

I'd suggest you consider mounting a circuit breaker or fuse of some sort near the battery. You should do this on whatever vehicle you want to mount the winch on, so that vehicle's battery and wiring are protected.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

I had a winch on the trailer hooked up with the same coupler and 4 gauge wire and I used the breaker on the battery end. I used the wince to skid logs up onto the bed of the trailer. The back had a flip down ramp. It was 2500 lb winch. It's still on the trailer, but I sold the truck. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

westyswoods

This thread has been very helpful in that I am in the process of fabbing a new front plate to fit on a T190 Bobcat. I did not like anything out there as my purpose is to make it multipupose and adaptable while being wide enough to cover front of both tracks.

I am going to mount a 9,000 lb hydraulic winch on the front. Have been struggling on the mounting, but decided to make it removable via two receiver mounts on both ends slipping through front of plate 24" apart.

This a used winch which i got for free came off a Tool Cat with Beaver Squeezer. Free spool out one directional on the wind.

Question is when winding the cable is it better to wind over the top, under bottom and or does it not make a difference?

I have many pics I can post of various projects done. Problem is my learning curve on how to post here is DA. Example being my wife and I just spent countless hours, literally attempting to produce a video on CD for her father. I know you all like pics and am willing to share just not sure how?
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Piston

Westy,
I don't know if it's different for the type of winch you have, but in the instructions for my winch, it specified that I must mount the winch and spool the cable so the cable spooled on from the bottom, as you can see in some of the pics. 
-Matt

ForestMan

Very nice, heavy duty log arch you built.  Well done!
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

myarsman

I am in the process of building my own log arch.  If possible could you share with me the dimension(H, W, L) so that I could have a better idea as to how to build mine.  I will be using 2x4 box steel.

If possible, I would like to be able to load my Wood Mizer LT15 bed with the log arch by backing the arch with log over the end of the bed and lowering it onto the bed.

Does that sound like it would work?

Bob

Gearbox

Don't worry about the battery . I am running 3 HF 2500 winches as 12 v drive motors on my home built processer . The battery stays up with a 13 Predator charging . One winch runs in short bursts the other 2 are tied together on the live deck and lift 1/2 cord at a 45degree angle . Nice job on your arch . Search BT6870 for my processer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

MiamiCityboy

Hi Piston I just jointed the forum  I saw your post from 2010 of your log arch on pinterest  and I followed the lead to here. I need to build one for myself , but is got to  be a big  one since I have  big  logs to move, so if  is not  much  to ask I would like to  know the dimensions between the wheels and I go from there. I  built my own saw mill down here in Miami Fl and I am  starting little business. Thanks in advance.   

Blackcanyon

Nice build and article. My arch is virtually identical and I cut/ welded the pieces individually. I wish I thought to leave the back strap and bend one piece as you did. Very clever! They are quite handy and work well if your not in a hurry. Nothing works better if your milling and need one more beam etc. again, nice build!

Thank You Sponsors!