iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ol Doll in for annual physical

Started by Stephen Alford, February 13, 2011, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

With the chatter snow and cold winds of late decided it was time to take the ol doll in for her annual physical.  First job was to beef up her brakes.  One digger on each side of the blade. Reverse forward and neutral.  Like to give her the once over every year, really reduces down time.   :)

logon

bushmechanic

Stephen what is the idea of the scarfier on the blade?

Stephen Alford

Hey bushmechanic , traditional  forestry is pretty much gone . I clear cottage lots  along the coast and  take the treeline back around licensed shale pits.  Do some selective cuts around some pretty fancy homes. Anyway just don't want the ol doll to take off on me. The older you get the harder gravity seems to work against you.   ;D

logon

GDinMaine

Looks like cheap insurance to me. 
Good old beautiful P.E.I.  when we do get to visit we make sure we try as many different kind of milk from local farms as we can find.  There are some really good ones.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

beenthere

Quote from: GDinMaine on February 13, 2011, 08:35:02 PM
..............  when we do get to visit we make sure we try as many different kind of milk from local farms as we can find.  There are some really good ones.

That is interesting. How many different "kinds" of milk are there?   Which are the good ones? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GDinMaine

I guess what I meant is that I try milk from as many producers as I can.  Last time I found milk from four different producers.  That island is not that big but there is a good selection for a milk junky like me.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Stephen Alford

Well the ol doll failed her center pin test.  :'(  Started taking her apart. Was I ever happy to just have wear in the bushings and not the frame. The 3 new bushings were 17$ each.  Thought I would clean out the fuel tank. Found my favorite carb screwdriver inside the tank and a couple plug wrenches in the junk underneath. Found a wobble in the rear driveshaft, guess all the frozen stuff was holdin it in place. So I sent that off to Nova Scotia. Got quite a chuckle from the lady at Purolator when she saw the shaft ducktaped to a piece of rough lumber. In the meantime I started cookin some new pins.  ;D

logon

treefarmer87

steven, how hard is it to replace those center pins?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Hey treefarmer 87, I guess the first thing you need to do is determine what kind of shape your centre pins are in.  Get someone to get in the cab and lift the blade all the way up. Drop the blade quick then stop it quick before it hits the ground. While this is being done you have to watch for movement. Repeat this a couple of times. This should give you an indication.  The idea is to replace the bushings before the frame starts ro wear.  There are members on the forum that know far more than I do. Maybe the thing to do is start a thread "changing center pins". It is kind of hard to tell but I believe members read threads based on the title. That way you would have access to a much broader knowledge base.  I am not the bluest smurf in the village so what I do takes planning.   With good planning and the necessary tools changing the centre pins is easy enough .  ;D
logon

treefarmer87

im going to have to replace mine shortly i believe
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Will you have a spring break up ?  Your log loader will simplify things alot. Just a couple thoughts.  You could back her up to a substancial tree and anchor the back half.  The bushing in the middle is the eyeball style so you have to spread it just past the hole. Drives out easy with a socket.When you take out a pin you will see if the hole in the top and bottom is eggshaped then thats a bigger and more costly fix.  If you have to use grinder or torches should pressure wash it first. Any time  torches grinder or welder is used plan to stick around for an hour on fire watch.The bushing in the steering ram on mine was the same so gonna do it at the same time. The new hydraulic jacks that work in any position are helpfull or a powerpack. Taking photos of stuff before I take it apart has helped me. Bottom line if you decide to go ahead will help out just give a shout.  :)
logon

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

redlaker1

if you want to check your center pins you should just be able to put the blade on the ground and push down and watch the midship for play in the top or bottom,  if there is some,  then block it up and knock the pins out and take a look.    make sure you crib the machine up good and after you unhook the rear driveline then you should be able to drive the front half away from the back or push it apart with the steering cyl..  so you have room to work.

so what I want to know is why are the pins being cooked?

Stephen Alford

Hey redlaker1, sorry for not getting back to you sooner things have been a little busy. Finding material to make pins under all the snow is a pain.  The material that is being used to make the pins is the 2" ram out of a hydraulic cylinder. Because of the hard coating the piece is placed in the coals for an hour or so then allowed to air cool over night. Just makes machining it down to 1&1/2" a bit easier. I would sooner be cooking lobsters.   ;D
logon

Stephen Alford

Well the ol Doll made it outside the shop. Got to say there were moments when it looked pretty grim. Just wanted to give a heads up, if you need a part its real helpfull to look for a replacement while you can still measure the old one. If you wait till it blows apart finding or making what you want is difficult.
  Just wanted to throw in a pic of a winch with the cover off. Thanks mad murdock for that pancar link.  :)

logon

mad murdock

looks like you're about ready to rock n' roll again!  Good show on the pin change.  I am glad that you got the info you needed on the winch.  I bet it will feel like a whole new machine, only better 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Stephen Alford

Thats for sure . Took a mosey through your photo gallery,thats nice looking country and that Garrett is wicked. I noticed you mentioned in July you were going to overhaul the engine and winch. Did you have an opportunity to do that ?
 My next project is to get the summer place ready for company.   ;D

logon

mad murdock

I haven/t taken the time to tear into the engine yet, have had to use the machine as is for now.  I am about at the point where I will bring it into the barn and pull the head to find out what I am in for.  I will mess with th ewinch at the same time.  I am going through about a quart of oil an hour or so, she's pumping pretty steady! :(  Hope to get it going by summer.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Stephen Alford

Sounds good, look forward to hearing about the refit. From the sounds of it a parts washer and lots of rags will come in handy.  This years firewood season starts tomorrow April 1 seems an appropiate day.  :)
logon

arojay

"bluest smurf in the village".  I like it!
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

treefarmer87

stephen, what kind of motor is in your C5. im am looking at a newer model C5 like yours, and am thinking about buying it
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Hey Treefarmer, the ol Doll has a Detroit 353. Did you notice how after spending so much time next to the woodstove this winter she looked just a tad more like a John Deer when she came out, maybe its just my imagination.  :D
 Spent the day turning the winter snow bumper blade into a spring mud bumper rake.  What do you think ?  ;D

logon

treefarmer87

yea, that is a nice skidder, good looking setup on the tractor too :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

Quote from: Stephen Alford on April 01, 2011, 08:42:01 PM
Hey Treefarmer, the ol Doll has a Detroit 353. Did you notice how after spending so much time next to the woodstove this winter she looked just a tad more like a John Deer when she came out, maybe its just my imagination.  :D
 Spent the day turning the winter snow bumper blade into a spring mud bumper rake.  What do you think ?  ;D

that it would work better on the back. put a set of wheels on it back about 2' that you can adjust up down mount it to the 3pt hitich. the wheels ride on the ground thats already been graded. i reworked a york rake set the wheel back 2' works very well

treefarmer87

I got a 3 pt yoke rake for my JD, they are  handy
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!