iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weeping Willow

Started by Sarah Duval, April 07, 2012, 10:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Oh yes indeed a cottonwood can grow huge .I've got a hundred footer too darned close to the house but luckily it's got a lean away from the house .It's around 4.5 feet .

Darned thing is starting to loose bark up high so it's got to go .I'll cable that monster because I certainly don't want it atop the house .Several cables as a matter of fact .

SwampDonkey

Yup they are, 6-8 feet across well over 150 feet tall. Massive. Some places they can't cut them because it's hard to reforest near the main river. The black cottonwood just over take it. That's a lot milder winter out there than here and more water. Around here they only grow about 30 inches and maybe 80 feet. So a heck of a lot bigger. And one big town tree don't make it the norm. I can take you to groves of'm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Everything's bigger out west!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Just remembered up at Bath there was one huge eastern cottonwood in town that was at least 6 feet through practically in the road. They had to get the thing out of there. There are a couple on the university grounds to that are huge. But them things are not native here in NB.

Just use the tool box and compare the wood in the cottonwoods I mentioned to the balsam poplar size I mentioned and it's way more wood. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Rambling on about cottonwood some trivia .During the building of the transcontinetal railroad obviously the traditional cross tie was oak .

Now as it turned out in some of the midwestern states oak was just not to be found but cottonwood abounded .Lousy choice for ties but they had no other choice it was all they had .Every time they came near a river or creek the big trees were every where .

Somebody came up with the bright idea to brine treat the wood and thusly the original ties where in some cases cottonwood .They were later replaced with oak .

SwampDonkey

I don't know if I can swallow it Al. The ties (of oak) could have been easily brought in by the same train hauling the steel rails as the tracks advanced. Just because there were no oak locally, don't mean they was stupid. ;D

jimparamedic

I have cut both and what a mess they can make. I have a circular sawmill and when I'd get to about 3' from the end the water would run out by the gallon.The blade throwing wet mushy pulp every where. Other then that it was nice to cut some warping and spliting but dried out fast and made some light wood that was pretty strong for its wieght very flexable. Another wood that is like these is buckeye. Old timers said it was the best loading ramps the wood bends and does not snap like oak. Also again it is very light. Was also told they where used to make molding and to make ink stamp.

Sarah Duval

Sorry all this week has been very busy for me. We did cut one section of it and the grain is absoultely beautiful. The unfortunate part is some of it was junk, one section was dead and dried out and the other section is like saw dust. I did notice when cutting thinner boards the water would run like a wave on top of the lumber about an inch in front of the blade. I didn't get a chance to take some pics but I will definately do that this week.

Okrafarmer

Yeah, you'll find with any species:

1. There will be some waste from time to time, even in some logs that look decent

2. You can often get some nice looking lumber even out of logs that are partly worthless.

Welcome to milling.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 10, 2012, 07:08:46 AM
I don't know if I can swallow it Al. The ties (of oak) could have been easily brought in by the same train hauling the steel rails as the tracks advanced. Just because there were no oak locally, don't mean they was stupid. ;D
Well you don't have to swallow it ,you can spit it out .

Quote from the net on the subject :Where Did The U.P. Get Wood For The Railroad Across Nebraska?
When building the Transcontinental Railroad across the barren Nebraska plains, the Union Pacific Railroad had endless aggravation obtaining railroad ties. The only timber available was the pulpy cottonwood tree, which grew along the edges of Nebraska's rivers and streams. The U.P. made due with this poor choice by preserving the cottonwood tie with a solution of zinc chloride. These treated ties were interspersed with freighted-in oak and cedar ties on a ratio of four "junk" cottonwood ties to one good cedar or oak tie.

8)

Magicman

Quote from: Sarah Duval on April 11, 2012, 07:23:06 PM
I did notice when cutting thinner boards the water would run like a wave on top of the lumber about an inch in front of the blade. 

You will often see that with "wet" woods such as Poplar, Cypress, etc. and many times it will be out 6" or more in front of the blade.  It's hard to imagine the stress that is taking place inside of a log as we saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I love sawing the "wet" woods, they normally cut like butter and the sawdust just falls to the ground in wet clumps. Sycamore is probably my favorite wood to cut for that reason. I know I'm tired of cutting cedar, been working on a 400'+ privacy fence. With all the protective equipment on I look like a storm trooper.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 13, 2012, 09:03:45 AM

Quote from the net on the subject

That don't prove much, just because someone wrote it on the net. :)

You have to look at the Author. Peter Newman, a Czech born Canadian author, wrote lots of history and in his foot notes was tons of research he quoted from to back up what he said, plus almost a whole other book when you added up the footnotes behind some of his quotes. It was as interesting to read the footnotes on about every other page as was the main text of the books. :D But he still got some stuff wrong that might be common knowledge to some and not to him. ;)

Al_Smith

:D Are you being bull headed again as usual ;D You can read several accounts of cottonwood ties .I first read it in a book long before the internet .Maybe every author lied then .

Other facts you'll probabley argue about .The central pacific also supplimented cottonwood ties in a few places .It was a situation where both the union pacific and the central pacific where just about cash broke .They had to complete the line so they could get some revenue coming in .Thus the cheap ties .BTW the all time never beaten until this very day.
10 miles of track layed down in 12 hours by the central pacific .Still a record yet .
--more railroad trivia for doubting Thomas's .--from Al the historian ;D

SPIKER

Lodi Ohio where I grew up had cotton woods in the park back when I was a kid.   They were some of the BIGGEST trees around them parts.   If I remember right it took 4 of us kids to form a chain around the biggest one interlocking hands.   that was maybe 3rd or 4th grade.   the last time I was down there there were a few stumps left was it.  They had been cut & removed by the town after a large branch fell :o :'(...   ya nice park with hardly any trees  ::) >:(   When I was a kid I remember the park floor would look snow covered from the seeds coming down.

When I was a teen we cut 4 or 5 BIG willows at my Uncles house after one split and went thru his carport smashing his Dodge Dart.
Cutting & attempting to split it was a real pain.   3 or 4 diameter cookies were split using chain saw as a maul would bounce off and spray ya in the face w water...  :o ???   My Brother in law hammered in 4 or 5 wedges into the same hunk that sucker was a tough one.   the rest were cut into 4 or 5 foot lengths and hauled out somewhere to bury (probably trees growing there now!)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sandhills

We have a lot of those big cottonwoods all around us, and yes they are big, but when most come down they're hollow all the way up from the ground.  They're also horrible around fields, has to be one of the worst branch shedding trees around here anyway, but I still love the looks of them and for the young kids some of the easiest to climb around in, I'm not that young anymore but I once was  :).

Banjo picker

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 09, 2012, 09:15:44 AM
Yeah but baseball is and we are fast loosing all the ash to make bats from . :(  Unfortunately I somehow doubt if willow would be a good substitute .I suppose they could use hickory or oak but the ball players would have to have arms like Superman to swing them .

Baseball bats should be made of sweetgum anyway....you can't bust one with a wedge hardly...a base ball wouldn't have a chance...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

Sweetgum, IRC, has a Janka hardness similar to ash. Of course the flex and bounce and break properties are different.

5quarter

Al...Regarding cottonwood ties in Nebraska. there is a detailed account at the state historical society down in Lincoln that agrees with your story. Don't know if it's on the internet, but there is a nice wall display with some photos and a nice write up.
   Easern cottonwood I think is the largest hardwood in the US, now that the American chestnut is gone. I have one near the back of my property that is over seven feet across. Strangely, it is wider than it is tall and virtually nothing grows under it in a 30' radius. alot of big cottonwoods around here eventually get wind damaged or lightning struck. The big one out back has been lucky so far.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Where were the rails coming from is my question? I can bet in oak country. So why not throw some oak ties on the load heading west? Plus you have bur oak that grows in the plains. ;)

What about through northern Ontario by the Great Lakes where there are no cottonwood  beyond a short radius of Erie until the Red river in Manitoba for 1000 miles?

Al_Smith

More trivia on the account .The trestles for the railroad obviously could not be made of cotton wood .Oak was felled and floated down various rivers until they got it nearly to the point of usage and timber were milled and hauled to the trestle sights by horse cart .

Yes eastern oak could have been transported for ties but if I read the accounts correctly the vast numbers need dictated the temorary use of cottonwood  to expidite the completion of the rail system .In other words they needed the revenue ASAP .

The accounts do state the cottonwood was only good for several years and it was replaced with more robust tie material .

I didn't write history I only repeat what's been already stated by several accounts . ;)

SwampDonkey

Oh, well in that case.....  ;D But bur oak goes further west than most (eastern) white oaks I think. The plains aren't exactly east, but to some east is the other side of the Rockies. I've seen balsam poplar get confused for red oak and ash lumber confused for chestnut just because someone said it was what it was until it was properly identified. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!