iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much should i run my throttle on my timbco

Started by timberjack97, June 21, 2012, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

what  is a good speed to run my throttle on my timbco  425  with a bar saw on it   when  its cutting trees down  ?

snowstorm

log cutter

Timbco 475E

barbender

Close to full, I'd guess. Slow it down as much as you need until tou start to get used to it, then start bumping it up.
Too many irons in the fire

duckslayingpro

Im not real familer with your timbco but i would say 2/3 - 3/4 throttle would be what i would shoot for.

timberjack97

the guy  that is runing it for me now  is runing in at half at best throttle   and i dont think thats good on it

newstick

I have run many hours in timco with hot saw and aways run wide open. Is he trying to save fuel? I think it would be better on the machine to run some what close to full throttle.
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

Jamie_C

1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle are both meaningliss numbers ... you need to speak engine rpm's ... to avoid possible stalling under load and potential engine damage from doing this repeatedly then run the engine at a high enough rpm that your anti stall will work (assuming your machine is equipped with one) ... this should get you up in the 2300/2400 rpm range for a lot of forestry machines ... if you don't have an anti stall button then wind that sucker up to about 2400 rpm and run it listening to the engine and watching your tach ... assuming everything is set up right on your machine then running it hard shouldn't make your rpm's drop much more than 300 rpm when under load, if it does increase your rpm's a bit and keep trying

barbender

His barsaw setup won't pull as much HP as a hotsaw setup. Jamie, why is 3/4 throttle a meaningless number? If it's governed to 2800 rpm, 3/4 of 2800=2100 ;)

Jamie_C

Quote from: barbender on June 22, 2012, 10:42:33 AM
His barsaw setup won't pull as much HP as a hotsaw setup. Jamie, why is 3/4 throttle a meaningless number? If it's governed to 2800 rpm, 3/4 of 2800=2100 ;)

Because different manufacturers all govern their engines at different rpm's depending on what they are being used for. His barsaw setup should be about the same as a single grip harvester, most of the engine drag will be caused by boom movement and not saw function.

barbender

I've never ran a Timbco, just Ponsse harvesters and forwarders, you can run those even at 1600-1700 rpm (6 cylinder engine) to get the hang of them. Thats way better than a new guy going full throttle right away and putting a stick through the cab. Once a guy gets a feel for the machine, crank it up. If it's designed to run full throttle, run it full throttle, or max governed rpms for the more technically inclined ;D

Jamie_C

There's where the big difference is ... wheeled carriers and Ponsse in particular run at considerably lower rpm's than a tracked carrier will. From the different wheeled and tracked machines i have run you need a lot more rpm's when on tracks. If you have a Mercedes engine in the Ponsse then you will need even less rpm's than one with a deere/cummins engine. Most tracked forestry machines will not function at engine speeds less than 2000 rpm's when you attempt to do any function. You drag down the engine to low and put incredible strain on everything.

Bobus2003

Thank You Sponsors!